Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 PM

24 posts, read 66,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The one I'm most familiar with is a variant of an upper-class British accent.
This is the one I have trouble differenciating with Kiwi

I have only ever meet one SA with that type of accent, most are the dutch/Boer accent. thats in my part of NZ anyway. I think part of the problem with the Kiwi accent is that we tend to asimulate with other countries accents. Thats why when Kiwis come home from the State for example they have thaa north Americian twang. So that could also confuss many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 PM

184 posts, read 837,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingkiwi View Post

I have only ever meet one SA with that type of accent, most are the dutch/Boer accent. thats in my part of NZ anyway. I think part of the problem with the Kiwi accent is that we tend to asimulate with other countries accents. Thats why when Kiwis come home from the State for example they have thaa north Americian twang. So that could also confuss many people.
I don't think I've met any south africans that sounded english, although I do know some people from zimbabwe that sound english. Maybe I have met some south africans that sounded english and just didn't know they were south african

The south africans I know all have that dutch/boer accent, but of varying strengths depending whether english or afrikaans is their first language.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
I don't think I've met any south africans that sounded english, although I do know some people from zimbabwe that sound english. Maybe I have met some south africans that sounded english and just didn't know they were south african

The south africans I know all have that dutch/boer accent, but of varying strengths depending whether english or afrikaans is their first language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingkiwi
Okay, listen to this add:
(and then tell me what it sounds like to you...)

YouTube - South Africa Nando's commercial Where's my Chips?

This is part of the upper-class British variant English accent I'm talking about.
This is what I still have a hard time differentiating between Kiwi and South African.

I have a better example to listen to on VHS tape,
but alas, tape is hard to upload.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:33 PM

YouTube - Steers Rib Burger - Broke Bakkie Mountain

Also check this one out.
The first guy talking definitely sounds Dutch South African.
But everyone else is talking with an excellent example of the English South African accent.
(especially the announcer towards the end of the commercial)

*When I listen carefully to the announcer, I heard words like "only" pronounced like "inn-ly,"
as in "...Introducing Steer's new Rib-Burger, for innly 26.95 (Ram?)..."

Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Okay, listen to this add:
(and then tell me what it sounds like to you...)

This is part of the upper-class British variant English accent I'm talking about.
This is what I still have a hard time differentiating between Kiwi and South African.

I have a better example to listen to on VHS tape,
but alas, tape is hard to upload.
Mmmmmm, I like Nando's

In real life, I would probably need to hear the blonde girl in the ad speak some longer sentences to be sure she was south african. I can hear it in her voice, but as I know that's what to expect, I'm specifically listening for it.

The voice over at the end however is a classic south african accent to my ears, no mistaking it. My guess would be english is her first language not afrikaans though. It doesn't have the gutteralness (is that a word?) that people who speak afrikaans as their first language seem to have.

Quote:
Also check this one out.
The first guy talking definitely sounds Dutch South African.
But everyone else is talking with an excellent example of the English South African accent.
(especially the announcer towards the end of the commercial)

*When I listen carefully to the announcer, I heard words like "only" pronounced like "inn-ly,"
as in "...Introducing Steer's new Rib-Burger, for innly 26.95 (Ram?)..."
Yep, that first guy definitely has a stronger dutch/boer/afrikaans type accent. But, to my ears the others are obviously still south africans too. Now that I'm listening to them carefully though I can hear why the softer south african accents would sound similar to a kiwi accent (compared with a canadian accent anyway) The treatment of the vowels in particular has more in common with the kiwi accent than I had really thought about before.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 AM

229 posts, read 585,141 times
I only read through the first page of comments, but I wanted to say that I find the Kiwi accent very sexy!! Love Australian accents too, and next would come British accent.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
Mmmmmm, I like Nando's

In real life, I would probably need to hear the blonde girl in the ad speak some longer sentences to be sure she was south african. I can hear it in her voice, but as I know that's what to expect, I'm specifically listening for it.

The voice over at the end however is a classic south african accent to my ears, no mistaking it. My guess would be english is her first language not afrikaans though. It doesn't have the gutteralness (is that a word?) that people who speak afrikaans as their first language seem to have.

Yep, that first guy definitely has a stronger dutch/boer/afrikaans type accent. But, to my ears the others are obviously still south africans too.

Now that I'm listening to them carefully though I can hear why the softer south african accents would sound similar to a kiwi accent (compared with a canadian accent anyway) The treatment of the vowels in particular has more in common with the kiwi accent than I had really thought about before.
Nando's is "Down Under" too?
(I've never heard of them)

I could also tell that English was most-likely the annoucer's first language,
though I'm probably not familiar enough with British-English accents to notice any dutch brogue;
(if that's the word) all British accents are slightly odd sounding to my ears.
(probably as all Canadian/American accents are to you)

I think the "gutterallness" you're describing is what I would consider "Scandinavian/German-sounding" vowels.
(pitch, tone etc.; not just pronunciation)

*Ah, so I'm not imagining things, comparing Kiwis to English South Africans.
(it's good to hear that I'm neither crazy nor "weak-minded" for making this connection. )

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Nando's has several restaurants in the GTA

Old 06-10-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Nando's is "Down Under" too?
(I've never heard of them)
Yeah we've had them a few years now, I really like their food. They even sell sauces at the supermarket. I'm particularly partial to their coconut curry sauce

I just had a look at their website and see that they are in Canada too. Check it out, you may have one nearby and just haven't noticed them.

Welcome to Nando’s Canada. The official home of Nando’s famous Peri-Peri chicken.

Quote:
*Ah, so I'm not imagining things, comparing Kiwis to English South Africans.
(it's good to hear that I'm neither crazy nor "weak-minded" for making this connection. )
Nope, not crazy - either that, or you have just talked me into imagining things too

Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 PM

^^

Well I'll be a possum's uncle...
We have a "Nando's" within 15 km of my house.
(I still have never heard of them though )
I wonder if they're new to Canada?

If you're from NZ, there must be something there...
(or I'm more persuasive than I was aware of?... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand