Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,893 times

Advertisements

I've found the Western Australians have a South African twang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,893 times
I lived in Australia for the 1st 30 years of my life and have now lived in NZ for the past 5 years in the sth island (not by choice). I can tell you that the Sth Island Kiwis replace "i" and "e" with "u" so you get: Tum instead of Tim, you get Fush and Chups instead of Fish and Chips, you get Yis instead of Yes (my young daughters do this in a high pitch and it is worse than nails on a chalkboard).

I can also tell you that NZ is not as green as they like to make out. Alot of farming in NZ and the pestisides and chemicals from that farming are often run off into those pretty rivers you see on the ads. The country is just not technologically advanced or financially rich enough to do the green thing effectively. It is a well kept secret but the river next to me has signs up stating that it is not suitable for swimming because of chemical runoff.

The education system in NZ is sub-standard an very class based. They have "school zones" and you have to live in the rich zone to send your children to the rich school. There have been cases of parents falsifying documents in an attempt to send their kids to the better schools.

There is a lot of racial tension in NZ. Polonesians, Maori's, Skinheads, Asians. Constant gang fights for territory and very public. People say that Australia is a racist country ... well I have seen more racial tension here in NZ in 5 years than I did in Australia in 30 years. NZ is very much a cultural melting pot and not is all as peaceful and calm as outsiders may think.

NZ is overly PC orientated. You can choose not to work if you want, there is no work for the dole scheme and no real pressure to find work. I remember there was a character on Tripple J in Australia a few years back called "Neville the Kiwi Social Worker", I never really got it until I spent a few years here. It seems half the population has some kind of link to the social welfare industry.

Working in NZ is less than appealing; Tax rates are among the highest in the world (no tax free threshold - you pay tax on the 1st dollar you earn) and you pay 38% on anything over 80K. There is no requirement on employers to pay compulsory superannuation but in Australia your employer MUST contribute 10% of you salary to a super fund of your choice. This lack of retirment funding means that a high proportion of the poverty class are eldrely and many complain of being unable to heat their homes properly in winter.

Living conditions are way lower in NZ. Particularly the heating.
You can pay $250K for a house that has no more heating than an open fireplace and no insulation (my house). This is the norm until recent incentives were put in place to have people install heat pumps.

Anyway, as I say I have to be here (kid thing) but will be heading home as soon as my parental responsibilities are done. I really do understand why so many kiwis move to Australia but if I had my way I would shut the gate because NZ has become the immigrants back door into my paradise.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
^ Don't all Kiwis do that?

Anyway I'm sure there are many things most people might not be aware of about NZ unless they live there. The racial tension between Maoris/Polynesians and whites doesn't surprise me that much.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM

184 posts, read 837,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noworriesmate View Post
I can tell you that the Sth Island Kiwis replace "i" and "e" with "u".
Actually, to your ears the "e" should shift to an aussie "i". e.g. Ten=>Tin but as has been discussed previously in this thread, to our ears they are two different vowel sounds.

Quote:
I can also tell you that NZ is not as green as they like to make out.
Yes we need to do a lot more to look after the environment in NZ. Was anybody in this thread claiming otherwise?

Quote:
The education system in NZ is sub-standard an very class based.
Yes we need to improve our education system in NZ. Was anybody in this thread claiming otherwise?

Quote:
There is a lot of racial tension in NZ. Polonesians, Maori's, Skinheads, Asians.
You show me a country in the world without any racial tension and I'll show you a country with zero ethnic diversity. Of course there are some racists in NZ. Was anybody in this thread claiming otherwise?

Quote:
NZ is overly PC orientated. You can choose not to work if you want, there is no work for the dole scheme and no real pressure to find work.
Yes we should continue to examine our social welfare system and there are many improvements we could make. Was anybody in this thread claiming otherwise?

Quote:
Working in NZ is less than appealing; Tax rates are among the highest in the world
Yes most of us would like to pay less tax than we do at present. Was anybody in this thread claiming otherwise?

Quote:
There is no requirement on employers to pay compulsory superannuation
Yes we need to improve out superannuation system. Was anybody in this thread claiming otherwise?

Quote:
Yes we need to improve the quality of our houses in NZ. Was anybody in this thread claiming otherwise?

Quote:
I really do understand why so many kiwis move to Australia but if I had my way I would shut the gate because NZ has become the immigrants back door into my paradise.
Yes NZ (and Australia) have problems with their immigration systems. Fair enough. Was anybody in this thread claiming otherwise?

I can't argue with many of the points you have made, except that I would argue that Australia suffers from many of the same issues plus a few of it's own. No country is perfect, and may I once more repeat myself by saying was anybody in this thread claiming otherwise?

If you really want to discuss these things though I would suggest either trying to find a related thread, or starting a new thread about each of these specific issues for people to debate. Throwing them all into a thread about accents (whether valid points or not) just comes across as a bit of a rant so I'm not sure what you hope to get out of it.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:48 PM

15 posts, read 42,145 times
Quote:
I lived in Australia for the 1st 30 years of my life and have now lived in NZ for the past 5 years in the sth island (not by choice). I can tell you that the Sth Island Kiwis replace "i" and "e" with "u" so you get: Tum instead of Tim, you get Fush and Chups instead of Fish and Chips, you get Yis instead of Yes (my young daughters do this in a high pitch and it is worse than nails on a chalkboard).

I can also tell you that NZ is not as green as they like to make out. Alot of farming in NZ and the pestisides and chemicals from that farming are often run off into those pretty rivers you see on the ads. The country is just not technologically advanced or financially rich enough to do the green thing effectively. It is a well kept secret but the river next to me has signs up stating that it is not suitable for swimming because of chemical runoff.

The education system in NZ is sub-standard an very class based. They have "school zones" and you have to live in the rich zone to send your children to the rich school. There have been cases of parents falsifying documents in an attempt to send their kids to the better schools.

There is a lot of racial tension in NZ. Polonesians, Maori's, Skinheads, Asians. Constant gang fights for territory and very public. People say that Australia is a racist country ... well I have seen more racial tension here in NZ in 5 years than I did in Australia in 30 years. NZ is very much a cultural melting pot and not is all as peaceful and calm as outsiders may think.

NZ is overly PC orientated. You can choose not to work if you want, there is no work for the dole scheme and no real pressure to find work. I remember there was a character on Tripple J in Australia a few years back called "Neville the Kiwi Social Worker", I never really got it until I spent a few years here. It seems half the population has some kind of link to the social welfare industry.

Working in NZ is less than appealing; Tax rates are among the highest in the world (no tax free threshold - you pay tax on the 1st dollar you earn) and you pay 38% on anything over 80K. There is no requirement on employers to pay compulsory superannuation but in Australia your employer MUST contribute 10% of you salary to a super fund of your choice. This lack of retirment funding means that a high proportion of the poverty class are eldrely and many complain of being unable to heat their homes properly in winter.

You can pay $250K for a house that has no more heating than an open fireplace and no insulation (my house). This is the norm until recent incentives were put in place to have people install heat pumps.

Anyway, as I say I have to be here (kid thing) but will be heading home as soon as my parental responsibilities are done. I really do understand why so many kiwis move to Australia but if I had my way I would shut the gate because NZ has become the immigrants back door into my paradise.
Sorry you musn't understand. We made agreements with our indigenous people, instead of lets see... burying then in holes with their heads sticking out, as well as stealing their children. And as for the Indian attacks we see on tv every night, no such thing has ever happened in New Zealand. Our Maori are not treated as outcasts, and left out of society, like Aborigines are.
Did yoy New Zealand was last week named the world's most peaceful country? Probably not, you seem to have earmuffs on towards anything positive about New Zealand. As for racial tension and a cultural melting pot? Well in my life here the worst I have seen is a hikoi protest.

To be quite honest I think we will be all quite happy to get rid of you.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post
Sorry you musn't understand. We made agreements with our indigenous people, instead of lets see... burying then in holes with their heads sticking out, as well as stealing their children. And as for the Indian attacks we see on tv every night, no such thing has ever happened in New Zealand. Our Maori are not treated as outcasts, and left out of society, like Aborigines are.
Did yoy New Zealand was last week named the world's most peaceful country? Probably not, you seem to have earmuffs on towards anything positive about New Zealand. As for racial tension and a cultural melting pot? Well in my life here the worst I have seen is a hikoi protest.

To be fair to noworriesmate, I think he has raised some valid issues. And although I think he is looking through some artificially rose coloured glasses about his homeland (as most of us tend to when living in other countries). I think we have to at least give him credit that he hasn't resorted to the "boohoo, why are kiwis all so horrible", name calling attitude that some people on this forum have had. At least he has stuck to real issues which could be discussed and debated. I just don't think that a thread about accents is the right place to try and raise them.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:03 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko1 View Post

Well said! Biblical sayings about motes and beams come to mind. And the one about pots and kettles. And just as an example of antidote to the occasional warped, bitter diatribe about NZ that has appeared in this forum:

Britons find paradise in New Zealand - National - NZ Herald News

Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Well said! Biblical sayings about motes and beams come to mind. And the one about pots and kettles. And just as an example of antidote to the occasional warped, bitter diatribe about NZ that has appeared in this forum:

Britons find paradise in New Zealand - National - NZ Herald News
I can't believe I've ended up having to defend this persons comments. Overall I don't think we have anywhere near the same levels of racial problems as Australia, but you are kidding yourself if you don't admit we do have some too.

Also, we don't know where he is from or where he ended up. If he came from a small town in Aus with no ethnic diversity and ended up somewhere like Christchurch, then I would not be surprised that he has seen more racial tension in the last 5 years here than in 30 years in Aus.

I think Aus does have a worse relationship with the Aborigines than between Maori and Pakeha, but of course there are still problems here too. He didn't just mention Maori, he also mentioned Skinheads and Asians. Again, that would be a fair comment of Christchurch in my opinion which has had problems with skinheads going after asians for years and that other parts of the country just haven't had to the same extent.

I really don't want to be the one defending these comments as I do think things are worse in Aus overall. But, simply denying there is a problem doesn't make a very convincing argument as it's just not true.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:53 PM

24 posts, read 66,998 times
I totally agree with MarcNZ, anyone who thinks NZ is godzone is dreaming. The country and people have real issues that will if ever, take a long time to resolve. my guess is that we will just keep creating new issues to moan about. that's life. Sure we should be proud of our past, good and bad, But we are no better or worse than other countries, just different that's what makes us kiwi's. our friendly banter with ozzies and poms is no different to canada and the US. but when the chips are down we all front up.
Back to the issue of the thread, Yanks love the way I talk, especially the women. Ozzies loath it, whats new.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:24 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
I can't believe I've ended up having to defend this persons comments. Overall I don't think we have anywhere near the same levels of racial problems as Australia, but you are kidding yourself if you don't admit we do have some too.

Also, we don't know where he is from or where he ended up. If he came from a small town in Aus with no ethnic diversity and ended up somewhere like Christchurch, then I would not be surprised that he has seen more racial tension in the last 5 years here than in 30 years in Aus.

I think Aus does have a worse relationship with the Aborigines than between Maori and Pakeha, but of course there are still problems here too. He didn't just mention Maori, he also mentioned Skinheads and Asians. Again, that would be a fair comment of Christchurch in my opinion which has had problems with skinheads going after asians for years and that other parts of the country just haven't had to the same extent.

I really don't want to be the one defending these comments as I do think things are worse in Aus overall. But, simply denying there is a problem doesn't make a very convincing argument as it's just not true.
Nowhere in that post did I make such a denial. If you understood the allusions about pots & kettles, etc. that would be blindingly obvious! I am however merely agreeing with jacko1 that by comparison with Australia on racial issues, we stand pretty well - and among people I know who have lived in both countries, not one of them disagrees with that. And furthermore some sort of counterweight is needed to some of the very one-sided complaining that has appeared on the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand