Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2009, 02:29 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

No offense to Kiwis, the NZ accent has its charms, but I have to admit it's one of the least favourite accents, and it's comparatively unappealing on women (not that it would be a deal-breaker or anything for me) - just gives off an Aunty/Helen Clarke vibe, haha...of course maybe there are exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2009, 03:19 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
38 posts, read 297,699 times
Reputation: 48
lol i think it's annoying/gay haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 PM
 
9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Reputation: 4571
Is there a point to this thread other than to bash kiwis? Then a kiwi will come along and bash Aussies.
In the end, accents that one likes/dislikes is subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
 
9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Reputation: 20395
Of course there is no point to this thread. The pleasure one gets from hearing an accent is dependent on many things. I find as a New Zealander living in New England many people comment on how lovely my accent is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Reputation: 3647
It's relatively unfamiliar to me, so I would probably find it intruiging.

Some of the least sexy accents to me are the plainest ones.
(usually the most popular for TV broadcasting)

However, no accent is by itself "unsexy" for me, even plain ones.
Attitude makes a bigger difference for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Way up north :-)
3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
Reputation: 2946
Theres a guy from NZ at work whom I continually have to ask to repeat himself, I just can't make out what the hell he's saying half the time. I find the accent a bit unclear, same with Aust. accents a lot of the time. I wonder if there are regional differences in NZ, same as in Aust? (yes there ARE differences in Aust accents, someone from Adl almost sounds british compared to a Queenslander!)
Anyone from NZ care to weigh in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
38 posts, read 297,699 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Theres a guy from NZ at work whom I continually have to ask to repeat himself, I just can't make out what the hell he's saying half the time. I find the accent a bit unclear, same with Aust. accents a lot of the time. I wonder if there are regional differences in NZ, same as in Aust? (yes there ARE differences in Aust accents, someone from Adl almost sounds british compared to a Queenslander!)
Anyone from NZ care to weigh in?
Going off your point about different Aussie dialects -- you're absolutely correct. They're not as distinct as the South VS North US one but there definitely are differences. Also choice of words, QLDers and NSW LOVE to say "ay" at the end of every sentence, something I attribute to their Maori influence. And SA's definitely do sound more British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 06:14 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Is there a point to this thread other than to bash kiwis? Then a kiwi will come along and bash Aussies.
In the end, accents that one likes/dislikes is subjective.
Actually I raised this because of the generally negative attitude among most people towards the Kiwi accent - they either make fun of it or say it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. I myself don't totally dislike it; i mean there are worse, like the accents of many people who speak English as a second language, I totally don't care for that (e.g. a Chinese-English accent). And if I were Kiwi, there'd be no way I'd try to change my accent no matter how bad I thought it sounded. It's more important, imho, that it reflects your identity than some pre-conceived societal expectation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 06:17 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mmy View Post
Going off your point about different Aussie dialects -- you're absolutely correct. They're not as distinct as the South VS North US one but there definitely are differences. Also choice of words, QLDers and NSW LOVE to say "ay" at the end of every sentence, something I attribute to their Maori influence. And SA's definitely do sound more British.
A lot of people here say 'aye' after every sentence, lol...even I'm sometimes guilty of that.

South and Western Australian are more British by influence and population so it's no surprise their English is a little more British.

Overall Queensland and New South Wales tend to have more broader speakers too. They have a harder 'an' sound in 'man', and of course they say 'beer', 'here' with one syllable as opposed to two here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
 
9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Reputation: 4571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually I raised this because of the generally negative attitude among most people towards the Kiwi accent - they either make fun of it or say it sounds like nails on a chalkboard. I myself don't totally dislike it; i mean there are worse, like the accents of many people who speak English as a second language, I totally don't care for that (e.g. a Chinese-English accent). And if I were Kiwi, there'd be no way I'd try to change my accent no matter how bad I thought it sounded. It's more important, imho, that it reflects your identity than some pre-conceived societal expectation.
Well it was unclear on your first thread what you were trying to convey as it was not mentioned.

I personally do not think people have a negative attitude towards kiwi accents. Keep in mind there is not just one kiwi accent either nor there is one Chinese-English accent.

I personally love how my mates in Auckland speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top