U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:59 AM

16 posts, read 55,308 times

Advertisements

I am an Asian Indian, currently in the US and am seriously thinking of moving to NZ.
1. I am interested in knowing about the diversity of the population.
2. How are the jobs in IT sector?
3. Is there any racial discrimination?
4. I have a little school aged kid. How are the public and private schools?
5. Is the education comparable to the US?
6. Will there be any bullying in school, as my child is very shy.

More questions to follow...

TIA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,301,383 times
I can answer the third one. From my experience Kiwis are very tolerant people, less racist than Australians (not saying Aussies are racist on the whole, you just find less of that attitude there). They can be conservative, though, but tend to be tolerant.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:22 AM

718 posts, read 2,246,372 times
There is plenty of information to get you started here on this forum. Just do a search and have fun reading. Have you looked on the NZ immigration website to see if you qualify using their points system? Have you ever been to NZ to visit?

Immigration New Zealand

These are all things you need to look at before you get into more specifics about life and work there. I will tell you, from personal experience, applying for resident status is a long, tedious, and expensive endeavour.

I can tell you, my husband is currently living and working in Ashburton, a city on the south island, south of Christchurch. People there have been very accommodating to both him and his very diverse group of co-workers from all over the world, including the quintenssial walking Texan of the group. On my visits, I seem to recall Christchurch being very diverse and tolerant. IMO, life down there is different, just moves at a different pace, and that pace is not for everyone.

Last edited by statefan; 04-15-2009 at 07:32 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 AM

16 posts, read 55,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
There is plenty of information to get you started here on this forum. Just do a search and have fun reading. Have you looked on the NZ immigration website to see if you qualify using their points system? Have you ever been to NZ to visit?

Immigration New Zealand

These are all things you need to look at before you get into more specifics about life and work there. I will tell you, from personal experience, applying for resident status is a long, tedious, and expensive endeavour.

I can tell you, my husband is currently living and working in Ashburton, a city on the south island, south of Christchurch. People there have been very accommodating to both him and his very diverse group of co-workers from all over the world, including the quintenssial walking Texan of the group. On my visits, I seem to recall Christchurch being very diverse and tolerant. IMO, life down there is different, just moves at a different pace, and that pace is not for everyone.
Thanks for all your inputs.

I have been to the immigration website and found that I have more than 140 points.

I have talked to the NZ office too and they said that the max time to get a PR would be about 12 months if I have no job. However, from real exp you mention that it takes more than that? And how expensive? I estimated less than USD2K for a family of 4, am I wrong?

We are considering visitng NZ next month, but I need to know if I am doing the right thing. What is the cost of living compared to the US?

I live in a slow placed big city, not ina big city like NY or Bay area... so I am used to the slower pace of life, if you mean that and I really enjoy it.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 AM

9,845 posts, read 21,148,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZAspirant View Post

I have been to the immigration website and found that I have more than 140 points.

I have talked to the NZ office too and they said that the max time to get a PR would be about 12 months if I have no job. However, from real exp you mention that it takes more than that? And how expensive? I estimated less than USD2K for a family of 4, am I wrong?

We are considering visitng NZ next month, but I need to know if I am doing the right thing. What is the cost of living compared to the US?

I live in a slow placed big city, not ina big city like NY or Bay area... so I am used to the slower pace of life, if you mean that and I really enjoy it.
The cost of living is higher, pay is lower, taxes higher, the quality of housing lower.

The north island is probably the most diverse in population with mostly european and a mix of Maori and Pacific Islander descent with some Asian immigrants. The south island is almost entirely european decent with a few small groups of Maori and other immigrants.

I would definitely visit and travel around some and get a feel for it. Try to look at it from the perspective not as a tourist but someone living there.

Public schools are so so. I know a few gals that have taught in schools in NZ and they don't have a high opinion of the school system. Yes there can be bullying.

Job opportunities are limited, so I'd recommend having a good job lined up first or you might end up driving a taxi to make ends meet. NZ is only the size of a small US state with 4 million people in total. And it sits far away from just about anywhere. Also make sure that kiwi employers will recognize your qualifications.

So I'd do extensive research and do not immigrate if you have never visited. When you visit do the math in regards to living expenses, do a shopping trip to the supermarket, see what jobs are available and what they would pay for the skills you have, see what your taxes would be, etc.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 PM

718 posts, read 2,246,372 times
Quote:

In all honesty, I do no remember how much it cost back in 2005, it just seemed like there was always something that had to be done and paid for! Via the website, to lodge Expression of Interest is $400(NZD), then it looks like the Skilled Migrant Visa is $1800 (NZD). If you do not have a job offer, once you have submitted your Expression of Interest, you have to be invited to apply for the Skilled Migrant Visa, it is not an automatic thing. Once you get to that point (filling out Skilled Migrant Visa application), there are a few things that cost money. You have to have a background check done by the FBI (it wasn't that much) for all adults. Everyone included in the application has to have physicals, including bloodwork and chest x-rays. (This cost us the most, my husband is self employed and our insurance was crap!) Every i has to be dotted and every t crossed. Just FYI, unless it has changed, the application is submitted through London.

I have heard and read the government is accepting fewer applicants to immigrate since the economy is so bad. As with most other countries, they are less likely now to invite someone in to do a job a native Kiwi could do.

I found another website that might have a little more useful information on some of the particulars :

New Zealand Immigration: The Free Guide: NZ Immigration

The best thing to do is take your entire family there for a few weeks and explore the country, look at schools and experience the way of life there. That is the best advice. You can read until the cows come home, but if no one likes it, there is no way you could be happy living there!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:23 AM

123 posts, read 283,354 times
Great link, Statefan... Thank you very much.

I will follow all your advices and recommendations.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:36 AM

141 posts, read 321,464 times
Quote:
I am an Asian Indian, currently in the US and am seriously thinking of moving to NZ.
1. I am interested in knowing about the diversity of the population.
2. How are the jobs in IT sector?
3. Is there any racial discrimination?
4. I have a little school aged kid. How are the public and private schools?
5. Is the education comparable to the US?
6. Will there be any bullying in school, as my child is very shy.

More questions to follow...

TIA.
I live in Christchurch and can cover a couple of these for you.
1. Population is becoming more diverse and you shouldnt have too many problems mixing with the general population.
2. Read something recently in the paper saying that there is a skills shortage of IT skills in NZ. Check out www.trademe.co.nz jobs section which should give you an idea of whats about. Just be aware though, with unemployment heading upwards it is getting more difficult for foreigners to get jobs (our English next door neighbour who has an engineering degree is heading back home due to inability to get work).
3. NZers are pretty tolerant and you shouldnt have too many problems.
4. Private schools are expensive but you get a high level of education. Our kids (8 & 10 yrs) go to a public school and we have no problems with the standards - although we are being more selective when it comes to High Schools. In NZ there is a zoning system where your child will automatically be accepted in the public school that covers where you live. To get your child into another public school you go into a ballot system. For this reason many people try to move into areas where the school is known to be a 'good' school. Check out www.minedu.govt.nz
6. Bullying at schools is treated seriously in NZ and not tolerated. That doesnt mean to say it doesnt happen, but complaints are acted on when it does happen. I dont think your child would be singled out any more than any other child in the school...a lot of kids are shy.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,118 times
I can give you a Wellington take on your questions:

1. Wellington is very ethnically diverse and, in my opinion, very tolerent. I peronally haven't ever witnessed any racial tension and I've lived here for 30 years. Statistics NZ will give you an idea of percentages 2006 Census Products & Services (http://www.stats.govt.nz/census/census-outputs/quickstats/snapshotplace2.htm?id=1000009&tab=CulturalDiversit y&type=region&ParentID - broken link)=
2. I have no idea what jobs are like in the IT sector, but do check out www.trademe.co.nz as muir33 suggested, and also www.seek.co.nz. I would suggest that Auckland, Wellington or possibly Christchurch would be the best place to find a job in this industry.
3. See q1.
4. My son goes to a public school, and I find it very good. www.ero.govt.nz gives reports on the performance of each school, which you can search by suburb. From my experience, and the experiences I have heard from others, you want to find a school with a high decile rating (8-10, you can see these at the beginning of each report on the school) - they tend to attract better, more dedicated teachers. My son has both dyslexia and ADHD and his school is fantastic about it, giving him extra help with his reading and very tolerant of his extra needs. He is 7 and has never been teased at school.
5. NZ students do better in science and maths than US students, but US students do better in spoken language. I'm not sure about anything else, being unfamiliar with the US system.
6. Bullying at school depends on which school your child attends. A better decile school tends to have little or no bullying. It is taken very seriously. Assuming your child attends a good school, I doubt there will be an issue. My brother and I had a very diverse group of friends at school, from multiple countries, and I don't think any of them ever had any particular issues with bullying.

As for the cost of living, you should be able to get a rough idea of what you would get paid for your job from the listings on the job websites I gave you. In Wellington you can buy an average 3 bedroom house for around $350,000 NZ (rates each year are around $1500 NZ), or rent one for around $390 a week. I have a family of four and we spend around $200-$250 a week on groceries, around $300 a month on phone and power. Public schooling cost is minimal ($250 or so a year). Parking costs in the cities can be expensive, but in Wellington there is an excellent public transport system.

I hope that helped,

Heather

Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,668,814 times
Are you moving to New Zealand?

it will be your best bet.. its all immigrants talking about NZ or sharing their experiences..

on the flip side:
http://www.expatexposed.com/

finally just do a search on CD for past threads on moving to NZ.. there have been quite a few already and you may find answers that you are looking for..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand