U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,880,972 times

Advertisements

I think the Sunshine State is calling me, but so far I've been unsuccessful in finding a job. When I do, I shall go on a long awaited cross country drive and settling somewhere there...Brisbane is my first preference, but Cairns, the Sunshine Coast and maybe Townsville are on my list.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, or any experience moving to Queensland, especially from WA, and if they can give advice...I've never really moved, apart from when I was really young, so it will be a whole new experience!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:44 AM

58 posts, read 193,479 times
Not that I have any experience with moving within Oz but I have done extensive research on Brisbane since that's where we plan to move if/once the DIAC grants my Visa.

What's your trade?

I plan on visiting soon to scout out the suburbs to see which area best suits my families needs.

Have you decided on an area?
Do you have a car or will you be using public transportation?

Moving for me may be easier as we will be selling everything we own short of a few clothes and starting over, you will likely pack everything and move it. I have moved 3 times within a 30 mile radius and moving is NEVER fun. Alot of packing that really never gets unpacked...etc......

Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgregory73 View Post
Not that I have any experience with moving within Oz but I have done extensive research on Brisbane since that's where we plan to move if/once the DIAC grants my Visa.

What's your trade?

I plan on visiting soon to scout out the suburbs to see which area best suits my families needs.

Have you decided on an area?
Do you have a car or will you be using public transportation?

Moving for me may be easier as we will be selling everything we own short of a few clothes and starting over, you will likely pack everything and move it. I have moved 3 times within a 30 mile radius and moving is NEVER fun. Alot of packing that really never gets unpacked...etc......
Hi tgregory, Brisbane is a wonderful city, I've only been there once but I fell in love with the place!

I am a town planner, but it's hard to find a job. Most of the jobs are in Queensland. I'm thinking of just getting any job in the meantime to establish myself there until I get a job...I really can't wait to move after my whole life in the same, super-isolated city. I have a car at least, but intend to live somewhere with good public transport so I can use it minimally.

I don't have too much stuff to bring - no furniture or anything like that, so it shouldn't be a big problem. Mostly just books, my computer, keyboard, guitars, an amp and some old sentimental things. Still, will probably be too much to fit into one car. Will have to review the options to get my stuff from A to B.

My preference is somewhere close to the city - the inner eastern suburbs of Paddington and Redhill, or a bit further out like Kenmore Park and St. Lucia are really nice; very close to the city but they feel a world away, like some leafy semi-rural paradise (I really liked the look of them when I went). Alas probably won't be able to afford to stay there at the outset, but I can recommend them.

Anyway, I wish you luck in moving, and maybe we'll bump into each other in the streets of Brisbane! Cheers, John

Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,132,004 times
Good luck with that, Trimac. It's a tough time to move as jobs seem to be scarce everywhere, but it's always easier to find work when you're there, versus from here. One can only learn and grow from new experiences and from living in new environments. I'm a huge proponent of taking the opportunity to live in different places when that opportunity presents itself and you have that urge.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Good luck with that, Trimac. It's a tough time to move as jobs seem to be scarce everywhere, but it's always easier to find work when you're there, versus from here. One can only learn and grow from new experiences and from living in new environments. I'm a huge proponent of taking the opportunity to live in different places when that opportunity presents itself and you have that urge.
My sister tells me the same thing, Vichel. Dilemma is, rent doesn't pay for itself and I'll have to find some way to pay for it! That's why I'm trying to get a casual job, party. My path towards employment is perhaps somewhat different from most of my uni peers, but as long as I get there in the end I'm not too fussed.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 PM

Make sure you've got some savings to tide you over for the first few months. Can you expect any help in the way of welfare benefits?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Make sure you've got some savings to tide you over for the first few months. Can you expect any help in the way of welfare benefits?
I do have about a grand saved up, that's about it. How long do you think that could last me?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:53 PM

Not very long. If your car stuffs up, that'll take care of most of the grand. Then you have to sleep somewhere - apartments require bonds, electricity/gas has connection fees. I'd say $5k would be better to have.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Not very long. If your car stuffs up, that'll take care of most of the grand. Then you have to sleep somewhere - apartments require bonds, electricity/gas has connection fees. I'd say $5k would be better to have.
Oh great, I'm never gonna get out of Perth! lol

Old 04-18-2009, 12:37 AM

No, don't say that. It'll just take longer, that's all.

Haven't you heard of the saying: All Good Things are Worth Waiting For ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand