Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times

Advertisements

I just learned this last night, and all I can say is; God help us. Here in the states, if someone kills a pregnant mom, they can be charged with two murders. I mean, does the pre-born baby have no rights in Victoria, it's viable outside the womb in the third trimester for crying out loud. I'm sickened by how low, we as a society have sunken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Yep, I heard that on O'Reilly too. Just sickening. Hope it doesn't get to that here but you never know. It's almost like that now.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:47 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
The truth of the law is as follows:
Under the new law, a woman is permitted to have an abortion at any time during the first 24 weeks of pregnancy.

A woman who is more than 24 weeks pregnant is permitted to have an abortion provided that the medical practitioner:
• “reasonably believes that the abortion is appropriate in all the circumstances;” and,
• “has consulted at least one other registered medical practitioner who also reasonably believes that the abortion is appropriate in all the circumstances.”

In considering whether an abortion is “appropriate in all the circumstances,” regard must be had to “all relevant medical circumstances” and “the woman’s current and future physical, psychological and social circumstances.”

In the US, the time limit allowed by Roe v. Wade is still 28 weeks. Therefore, Victoria's limit is actually LESS than the US. As usual, Mr O'Reilly has managed to distort the facts in order to create sensationalism and fear, rather than reporting the facts and truth.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:59 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
You can always email him with the correction. We found our here in KS medical condition of the mother as well as mental can mean anything. Bottom line is if the woman wants to terminate there can always be a reason to go along with it and do the abortion up until birth.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
In the US, the time limit allowed by Roe v. Wade is still 28 weeks. Therefore, Victoria's limit is actually LESS than the US. As usual, Mr O'Reilly has managed to distort the facts in order to create sensationalism and fear, rather than reporting the facts and truth.
A good example of why I don't watch Bill O'Reilly. The people who research for him aren't at times thorough.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Actually with regard to Abortion in the state of Victoria what has changed recently is that abortion has been decriminalized.

As far as I'm aware there's been no major changes to the time frame only now neither the provider or the patient will potentially face criminal charges.

The Abortion Law Reform Bill will allow pregnancies to be terminated at up to 24 weeks by a medical practitioner. It's trying to clear up a legal grey area in which Victorian women could get an abortion, but technically they and their doctor would be committing a crime.

Lateline - 11/09/2008: Victoria to change abortion laws

Acceptance of the principle that time limits are necessary risks further erosion of access. Less than 1 per cent of abortions occur after 20 weeks of pregnancy. Late term abortions often involve circumstances where the pregnancy has been hidden or unknown because of age, rape, and/or incest, where distance or other financial pressures made access to health services impossible, or where foetal death or abnormality is discovered.

History shows that illegality doesn’t stop women from accessing abortions—but it makes the service they do access unsafe and in some cases, lethal. The right to late-term abortion needs to be defended—abortion must be freely accessible as early as possible and as late as necessary.

Solidarity Online » Victorian abortion legislation a step forward, but restrictions remain

Abortion law is different in each of the states and territories of Australia, with the Australian Capital Territory allowing women the full right to choose when it comes to their reproductive rights. The ACT is the only state or territory to fully legalise abortion with no restrictions.

Green Left - AUSTRALIA: Is the abortion law reform in Victoria enough?

With regard to how low we as a society have sunken

Recent opinion polls indicate that 84% of Victorians support the removal of all restrictions on abortions, regardless of the stage of pregnancy.

I'm happy to live in Victoria and more than pleased with the recent changes. I guess if these laws aren't something you support then the answer is quite simple, don't live here.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:09 PM

184 posts, read 837,317 times
moonshadow. Good post. I was about to write a post saying that I didn't think this thread belonged in the Australia and New Zealand forum and would be better directed towards a religious or political one, but your post made me hold off. The fact that the OP didn't even actually ask a question, just made some broad and inflammatory comments about abortion makes me very suspicious of their agenda. But we'll see where it goes...

Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
moonshadow. Good post. I was about to write a post saying that I didn't think this thread belonged in the Australia and New Zealand forum and would be better directed towards a religious or political one, but your post made me hold off. The fact that the OP didn't even actually ask a question, just made some broad and inflammatory comments about abortion makes me very suspicious of their agenda. But we'll see where it goes...
Thank you. I suspect the OP is very much fascinated by the legal and political systems here in Australia as noted by previous topics and their presentation. No matter to me either way, particularly on this issue, which is one that I've been involved with (worked in Women's Health) and taken an interest in for many years.

The history of abortion in the state of Victoria has been a long and bloody battle with some truly disgraceful behaviour from the Pro Life camp (a minority) and clearly my fellow Victorians for the most part agree with my views (a majority). Hence our laws reflect this.

I can only say that I greatly respect and admire the initial stand taken by Betrand Weiner and his associates and the unfailing efforts many have made to ensure that Abortion is legal and safe in this state. I can only hope that at some point in the future Victoria will also adopt the same legal position as the ACT.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:53 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
and we have not heard back from the OP?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:56 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Actually with regard to Abortion in the state of Victoria what has changed recently is that abortion has been decriminalized.

As far as I'm aware there's been no major changes to the time frame only now neither the provider or the patient will potentially face criminal charges.

The Abortion Law Reform Bill will allow pregnancies to be terminated at up to 24 weeks by a medical practitioner. It's trying to clear up a legal grey area in which Victorian women could get an abortion, but technically they and their doctor would be committing a crime.

Lateline - 11/09/2008: Victoria to change abortion laws

Acceptance of the principle that time limits are necessary risks further erosion of access. Less than 1 per cent of abortions occur after 20 weeks of pregnancy. Late term abortions often involve circumstances where the pregnancy has been hidden or unknown because of age, rape, and/or incest, where distance or other financial pressures made access to health services impossible, or where foetal death or abnormality is discovered.

History shows that illegality doesn’t stop women from accessing abortions—but it makes the service they do access unsafe and in some cases, lethal. The right to late-term abortion needs to be defended—abortion must be freely accessible as early as possible and as late as necessary.

Solidarity Online » Victorian abortion legislation a step forward, but restrictions remain

Abortion law is different in each of the states and territories of Australia, with the Australian Capital Territory allowing women the full right to choose when it comes to their reproductive rights. The ACT is the only state or territory to fully legalise abortion with no restrictions.

Green Left - AUSTRALIA: Is the abortion law reform in Victoria enough?

With regard to how low we as a society have sunken

Recent opinion polls indicate that 84% of Victorians support the removal of all restrictions on abortions, regardless of the stage of pregnancy.

I'm happy to live in Victoria and more than pleased with the recent changes. I guess if these laws aren't something you support then the answer is quite simple, don't live here
So, your okay with a pre-born baby that is completely viable outside of the womb, who can feel pain, hear sounds, has a heartbeat, normal brainwave activity, can hiccup, laugh. burp; you're okay with this baby having either his/her limbs ripped from it's body, acid burned to death, or having a small hole made at the base of it's skull (without any anesthesia) and it's brains sucked out as it writhes in pain trying to escape this horrific atrocity; your "pleased with this", as you put it?

Folks, we are doomed as a society when we become so callous and indifferent to the most defenseless. God help us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand