U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 02:29 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,116,091 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to Australia next March for two weeks. My boyfriend will be working in Canberra for a week so the plan was to head out a week earlier, spend five or six days in Sydney, then fly to Canberra and spend a couple days together there, and then he'll stay in Canberra and I will fly somewhere else for about three days before heading back to Sydney, and home.

I'm just starting my resarch now, and am really getting excited about Sydney and to a lesser extent, Canberra. Now I just need to find a third vacation spot that has nonstop flights from Canberra, is safe for a woman traveling alone, and has plenty to see/do.

I love beautiful scenery and typical sightseeing type stuff (museums, historical sites, beaches). A fabulous night life is NOT a consideration. I couldn't care less about the bars and nightclubs.

Suggestions?

Also, how is the weather down there in late Feb/early March?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 02:58 PM

37,950 posts, read 38,205,778 times
I suggest visiting Melbourne. Its main attractions are the Victoria Arts Centre, the Melbourne Museum, the Shrine of Remembrance (a beautiful war memorial), the National Gallery of Victoria, etc. Nearby you can visit Philip Island (famous for the small penguins), Ballarat (with its reconstruction of the famous Australian gold-rush town), etc.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:04 PM

9,845 posts, read 21,079,925 times
I think Adelaide is a great place with beaches, the hills above town, wine country, etc. Downtown is nice and easy to walk around. The south australian museum has quite a nice collection of aboriginal artifacts. The Cleland wildlife park above town I also enjoy.

Also the Flinders Ranges are an easy day excursion from Adelaide.

Also Canberra is an easy drive from Sydney if you are so inclined. No need to fly there.

Canberra I don't think is too bad. It's only half a million people in the local area which is smaller than those other cities but it is alright. Super 14 rugby season will be going on so you might be able to catch a ACT Brumbies rugby game. Also the Australian war memorial is probably one of the best military museums in the world so it's worth seeing. The botanical gardens are also nice. In addition you can take a day trip down to Cooma and the Mt. Kosciusko national park.

Adelaide is smaller than Melbourne or Sydney but it tends to be my preference over those two. Good mix of things to do with a variety in local landscapes.

Canberra,

Old 08-09-2009, 05:25 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,620,660 times
hi

from adelaide you have easy access to the Barossa and McClaren Vale for superb vistas and even better wine. Plenty of wine tours from Adelaide. And my special place is close by.. Kangaroo Island.

the hills above town, wine country, etc. Downtown is nice and easy to walk around. The south australian museum has quite a nice collection of aboriginal artifacts. The Cleland wildlife park above town I also enjoy.

Also the Flinders Ranges are an easy day excursion from Adelaide.

Also Canberra is an easy drive from Sydney if you are so inclined. No need to fly there.

Canberra I don't think is too bad. It's only half a million people in the local area which is smaller than those other cities but it is alright. Super 14 rugby season will be going on so you might be able to catch a ACT Brumbies rugby game. Also the Australian war memorial is probably one of the best military museums in the world so it's worth seeing. The botanical gardens are also nice. In addition you can take a day trip down to Cooma and the Mt. Kosciusko national park.

Adelaide is smaller than Melbourne or Sydney but it tends to be my preference over those two. Good mix of things to do with a variety in local landscapes.

Canberra,[/quote]

Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 AM

42 posts, read 245,467 times
Melbourne... i think is perfect for your situation. Melbourne is great if you would like to go exploring in the city with beaches (st Kilda) or historical landmarks.... its only a 1 hour hop from canberra and boasts a lot for the city on the river. By the end of it, you will have an opinion on the Sydney-Melbourne rivalry. Melbourne has a strong European feel to it also. just because its further south doesn't mean its that much colder.

Brisbane is more like san diego... theme park, nightlife, surf scene.
Australia doesn't have any other cities i mean Adelaide has a zoo i think? the vineyards and stuff are like hours drive away from the otherwise sleepy city. while melbourne has some of the best vineyards close by if you must see grapes!

can i mention that The Great Apostles and the Great Ocean Drive are also MUST SEE's whilst visiting melbourne, Victoria if your into scenery

Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levendis View Post
\
Brisbane is more like san diego... theme park, nightlife, surf scene.
Australia doesn't have any other cities i mean Adelaide has a zoo i think? the vineyards and stuff are like hours drive away from the otherwise sleepy city. while melbourne has some of the best vineyards close by if you must see grapes!
Adelaide has a zoo... and pandas should be there this year (or they could be there by now).
Next Stop - Adelaide, Australia - Next Stop - Adelaide, Australia - A ‘City of Churches’ Emerges as a Culinary Hub - Travel - NYTimes.com

Old 08-25-2009, 04:13 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,593,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What he means is, Adelaide IS a zoo...

Old 08-29-2009, 08:07 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,116,091 times
I think I've decided to ditch the bf in Canberra one day early , tack an extra day onto the end of the vacation and do BOTH Melbourne and Brisbane. The extra plane ticket, bus tours, and hotel costs will add some expense to the trip, but I think it will be worth it.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
I think I've decided to ditch the bf in Canberra one day early , tack an extra day onto the end of the vacation and do BOTH Melbourne and Brisbane. The extra plane ticket, bus tours, and hotel costs will add some expense to the trip, but I think it will be worth it.
Actually you may want to check out Tiger Airlines for cheap fares. Also at noon Sydney time every day, Virgin Blue posts sales fares.

I was gonna mention.. Tassie.. from Melbourne its a quick flight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand