Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 08:32 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,941,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Thanks Sonrise, my opinion exactly. As stated earlier in the thread.
I'd only give it to someone I really disliked, or as an April Fool joke. Same with certain brands of beer, such Coo...oh, never mind.
Yeah Coors is pretty crap seppo beer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 09:51 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,696,696 times
It's funny how when you can't get something easily, you really, really want it. Crave it. Could even kill for it.

When I lived in Canada, I missed certain foods/things from Oz. Now that I'm here, I hardly care for them anymore and I miss certain foods/things from Canada. And the US.

How's it go again? Something about the grass always being greener ....? It's a pain being human eh? We're never 100% happy.

Last edited by Vichel; 09-12-2009 at 10:57 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
It's funny how when you can't get something easily, you really, really want it. Crave it. Could even kill for it.

When I lived in Canada, I missed certain foods/things from Oz. Now that I'm here, I hardly care for them anymore and I miss certain foods/things from Canada. And the US.

How's it go again? Something about the grass always being greener ....? It's a pain being human eh? We're never 100% happy.
Let me guess. You are missing: Bagels (when you find these in Oz, they're not the same)? Perhaps ketchup chips? Butter tarts? Real Canada Dry Ginger Ale? Or.. Poutine? When I was living in Adelaide my friends craved poutine, I craved bagels. I on occasion missed Maine lobster.

Now that I'm away from Oz I miss Tim Tams, Farmers Union Iced Coffee, Pie Floaters, Meat Pies in general and all the wine that I used to be able to buy that are not exported (e.g., Kay Brothers Frontignac from McClaren Vale, Reilly's Reisling from Clare). I don't miss Vegemite as I can easily find this in Boston (but its a 140 kilometer round trip drive). And Coopers I can get at "Outback" Steakhouse. I also miss fresh South Australia oysters. And finally cheese from Tasmania. OMG, I am slobbering at the thought of the Tassie Cheese I'd pick up at Adelaide's central market.

In keeping with the Aussie food theme, what do other Aussies miss when they are away for a considerable amount of time? Im curious as to regional cravings.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,701,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

Does anyone miss Swiss Chalet chicken?
Is there something comparable to that in Australia?

I haven't been to "Harvey's" in ages,
but I saw an add where it shows a girl asking for a custom burger, and getting 3 onion rings on top... YUM!
I'll have to try that sometime.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:09 PM

My friend who missed poutine missed the swiss chalet sauce for the chicken. I personally am not that big of a fan of swiss chalet. I prefer Nando's -- I used to go to the one in Glenelg, SA. I was happy to find Nando's in Toronto.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,909,169 times
I trade care packages with a friend in Adelaide. I would always ask for Frogs and Tim Tams. She asked for sugar free stuff and Kool Aid.

I'm excited those great cookies will be here for good. I hope they don't screw them up by replacing the real chocolate with 'fudge'.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:34 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,701,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
My friend who missed poutine missed the swiss chalet sauce for the chicken. I personally am not that big of a fan of swiss chalet. I prefer Nando's -- I used to go to the one in Glenelg, SA. I was happy to find Nando's in Toronto.
I believe the "secret" ingredient in the Swiss Chalet (chicken-drippings and/or thick chicken stock) sauce is "thyme."

Never tried Nando's, but I found one on the internet that's a 15 min drive from here.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Let me guess. You are missing: Bagels (when you find these in Oz, they're not the same)? Perhaps ketchup chips? Butter tarts? Real Canada Dry Ginger Ale? Or.. Poutine? When I was living in Adelaide my friends craved poutine, I craved bagels. I on occasion missed Maine lobster....
What do I miss? ......... you asked for it:

- good Bagels, especially the ones baked in Montreal;
- Winnipeg Cream Cheese;
- smoked Pacific salmon from the local Native Indian reserve;
- Wild Alaskan Salmon;
- cheap fresh blueberries, raspberries & blackberries (they're unaffordable here);
- The Champagne of Ginger Ales: Canada Dry;
- root beer (A&W in a frosty mug, and all the gourmet ones);
- Spicy Clamato and Bloody Caesars;
- frozen concentrated OJ (so handy!);
- Haagen-Dasz & Ben & Jerry's ice-cream;
- Purdy's & Laura Secord Chocolates, O'Henry bars;
- bacon - the nice thin North American bacon that crisps up so beautifully;
- a good BLT - not available here as the bacon is all wrong;
- good Club Sandwich - same problem;
- Sandwiches that aren't mostly bread and/or salad and come with good mustard;
- Montreal Smoked Meat & hotdogs;
- San Francisco-style sourdough;
- good Mexican restaurants & ingredients (jicama, fresh tomatillos, etc.)
- complimentary bread in restaurants, especially the freshly baked warm loaves with whipped butter;
- cheaper prices on lunch menus;
- reasonably priced salads & soups in restaurants (here, they're twice the price);
- the choice of dressings on my salad in restaurants;
- reasonably priced & quick filtered coffee (everything here is done thru the espresso machine and is costly and slow, and often not very hot);
- half-and-half for my coffee (I mix my own);
- Buffalo Wings;
- good barbeque sauces and hot sauces in the supermarket;
- cheap Maple Syrup ($10+/250ml here).

Last edited by Vichel; 09-13-2009 at 09:43 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
...In keeping with the Aussie food theme, what do other Aussies miss when they are away for a considerable amount of time? Im curious as to regional cravings.
Foods I'll miss from Oz when I move to Canada:

- our fabulous Kensington Mangoes;
- local strawberries that are in season for months;
- being able to grow limes, lemons, figs, olives, etc.;
- being able to grow tomatoes for 6 months and have them always ripen on the vine before the cold weather sets in;
- being able to sun-dry my own homegrown tomatoes (you can't imagine the satisfaction I get out of this );
- our variety & availability of local seafood from pristine waters (despite the high prices);
- kangaroo steaks;
- tender, local, fresh lamb at good prices;
- the wonderful local Aussie cheeses: Tasmanian & King Island Brie & Double Brie, all the Blue Cheeses (especially Tasmanian), the local goat cheeses;
- incredible locally-grown EVOO - the variety, quality and prices!
- the astonishing variety of great, reasonably-priced wines, especially the Big Aussie Reds;
- BYO in restaurants;
- the good prices of a glass of wine in restaurants ($8 or under);
- James Squire Amber Ale;
- al fresco dining for much of the year;
- Anzac bikkies;
- Cherry Ripes.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,911,288 times
Quote:

In keeping with the Aussie food theme, what do other Aussies miss when they are away for a considerable amount of time? Im curious as to regional cravings.
I miss...hm...er....um.....lets see now....hm.
Nuttin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand