Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 01:34 PM

863 posts, read 1,197,021 times

Advertisements

I have a Facebook game friend who claims to be an Australian customs officer. He claims that under "White Australian Policy" the use of Sarin gas (a nerve agent outlawed all over the world) is legal to use against illegal aliens entering the country.

I say he's full of "it". I can't find a single reference on Google that indicates that he's correct. By the same token, I can't find anything aside from commentary that says he's pulling my leg. Can anybody in the know shed some light on this. I still say it's preposterous

He paints a picture of an extremely racist Australia. So as a secondary question: How are race relations Down Under?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:59 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
I have a Facebook game friend who claims to be an Australian customs officer. He claims that under "White Australian Policy" the use of Sarin gas (a nerve agent outlawed all over the world) is legal to use against illegal aliens entering the country.

I say he's full of "it". I can't find a single reference on Google that indicates that he's correct. By the same token, I can't find anything aside from commentary that says he's pulling my leg. Can anybody in the know shed some light on this. I still say it's preposterous

He paints a picture of an extremely racist Australia. So as a secondary question: How are race relations Down Under?
He is, and I very much doubt he's Australian.

As for the "White Australia Policy", here is a full list of the countries of birth of the people who arrived legally at an Australian airport last year as permanent immigrants to the country.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statist...lace-state.pdf

Old 08-14-2013, 07:12 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,894,027 times
Quote:

Well the White Australia Policy started getting phased out in the 1950's and was completely gone by the early 1970's so if he's telling you it is still around I wouldn't be listening to him. It's also the Navy not Customs that intercepts boats.

Finally, they are not illegal because it isn't illegal to enter Australia, by whatever means, to claim asylum.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:24 PM

863 posts, read 1,197,021 times
Thank you. This guy was painting a pretty convincing picture. I had a look at his Facebook page and he's an Aussie for sure - it's full of stuff about cricket, Dr Who and going to Suncorp Stadium watching the Wallabies playing the British and Irish Lions. That coupled with his pictures sure made him look like a countryman of yours.

Do you have an equivalent of our KKK down there? Here's a sampling of his posts:

" As an Aussie Customs Officer it reminds me of a raid in the Torres Straight. No drugs but at least we found an Asylum seeker boat. My PNG counterpart lobbed Sarin Gas onto their boat and then we took up patrol duties."

"We were hoping for a drugs raid. Instead we found asylum seekers. Mistaking an asylum seeker boat for a drug smuggling boat is similar. However at least we weren't lampooned for getting rid of 600 illegals."

" Yes Sarin. Commonwealth countries don't recognise UN law when it comes to Apartheid laws. Australia has the White Australia Policy at Territory and State level."

"Google White Australia Policy for State and Territory level. PS. PM Whitlam's Govt were sacked in 1975 along with a lot of their policies."

I'm far from gullible but it was hard to refute what he was claiming just by doing quick Google searches.

Thanks for the list. I guess bigotry is common almost everywhere.

Edit: I just saw Bcc's post - This guy FB page claims he was in the RAN for 13 years.............So he had a good set up for the bull he was throwing.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,894,027 times
Quote:
Thank you. This guy was painting a pretty convincing picture. I had a look at his Facebook page and he's an Aussie for sure - it's full of stuff about cricket, Dr Who and going to Suncorp Stadium watching the Wallabies playing the British and Irish Lions. That coupled with his pictures sure made him look like a countryman of yours.

Do you have an equivalent of our KKK down there? Here's a sampling of his posts:

" As an Aussie Customs Officer it reminds me of a raid in the Torres Straight. No drugs but at least we found an Asylum seeker boat. My PNG counterpart lobbed Sarin Gas onto their boat and then we took up patrol duties."

"We were hoping for a drugs raid. Instead we found asylum seekers. Mistaking an asylum seeker boat for a drug smuggling boat is similar. However at least we weren't lampooned for getting rid of 600 illegals."

" Yes Sarin. Commonwealth countries don't recognise UN law when it comes to Apartheid laws. Australia has the White Australia Policy at Territory and State level."

"Google White Australia Policy for State and Territory level. PS. PM Whitlam's Govt were sacked in 1975 along with a lot of their policies."

I'm far from gullible but it was hard to refute what he was claiming just by doing quick Google searches.

Thanks for the list. I guess bigotry is common almost everywhere.

Edit: I just saw Bcc's post - This guy FB page claims he was in the RAN for 13 years.............So he had a good set up for the bull he was throwing.
He's full of cr@p. His posts are flat out wrong. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's mucking around and pulling your leg.

And no, we don't have the KKK. The far right in Australia is extremely small to the point of being almost non-existent.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
He's full of cr@p. His posts are flat out wrong. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's mucking around and pulling your leg.

And no, we don't have the KKK. The far right in Australia is extremely small to the point of being almost non-existent.
Sounds like a real conspiracy theorist, some of it might have some backing. Australia actually did not sign the UN International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid, but then again neither did the USA Canada, New Zealand or the large majority of Nations in Western Europe. Clearly something was very wrong with that piece of legislation.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:00 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,959,037 times
Sadly reflecting to an extent the times. It has become something of a challenge between the two major political parties just which can be toughest on asylum seekers. The constant talk on the matter, has freed up a number of individuals to speak in very despairing terms with regards to people seeking refuge and by association race.

Australia now has India and China as the main sources for immigrants replacing UK, in recent years. Sadly the country still has a way to go in my opinion on matters racial.

I'd avoid the site if I was you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand