Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:42 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'm getting more curious about Melbourne... (travel)
Has anyone here been to both Toronto and Melbourne and can compare the two?
Toronto is very unlike Mel. Toronto has the urban sprawl going for it.
MEL feels more intimate as a city and feels like it has more cultural offerings. Its more like Montreal, IMO. There should be plenty of people talking about Melbourne on C-D.

I was happy to leave Toronto. My love of MEL has never abated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:48 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
MEL feels more intimate as a city and feels like it has more cultural offerings. Its more like Montreal, IMO. There should be plenty of people talking about Melbourne on C-D.

Me neither, so much so that I'm going there this weekend. Bliss!!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:24 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

I've never been to Montreal either...
I have the idea that "...Toronto is one of the best examples of what a big city is..." and it doesn't thrill me.

What I'm concerned with is cultural attitudes, rather than arcitecture and infrastructure.
Is that what you meant as Melbourne "feels more intimate" than Toronto?

Old 09-12-2009, 04:36 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steazy View Post
Word, that makes sense. I should probably go to community college culinary school, graduate, get the working holiday.. then see how it goes.. Man, I had no idea how much stuff has to be done to move countries lol. I honestly gotta get out of the US though.
When I was 18 I really wanted to move to Australia and still do want to live more down there. However at that age, most 18 years olds are pretty clueless about the world's realities, so I'd get your education here, go to Australia on the working holiday visa and if you really like it so much you can always go through the migration process.

Seems silly to spend thousands on permanently migrating when a working holiday visa is readily available for little hassle and expense by comparison. Get an education, get some skillz you can actually be employed with, enjoy a year down under and then go from there.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:07 AM

13 posts, read 68,302 times
The Gold Coast is big enough for you to find work fairly easily, but if you want laid back head to Byron Bay or Northern NSW. Byron has a coupple of good clubs, lots of tourists, great surfing as you have a few choices of beaches depending on conditions. It is only 45min from the Gold Coast so you could do either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand