Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
That's true

In 2004 Melbourne was voted 'Best City In The World To Live'
By a World Wide Survey conducted by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)
Melbourne 'world's top city' - National - www.theage.com.au

1= Melbourne
1= Vancouver
1= Vienna
4 Perth
5 Geneva
6= Adelaide
6= Brisbane
6= Copenhagen
6= Montreal
6= Oslo
6= Sydney
6= Zurich
13= Helsinki
13= Stockholm
13= Toronto

'Often derided as Bleak City by Sydneysiders, Melbourne topped a survey of 130 cities, narrowly beating out the other four Australian capitals surveyed - because its weather rated the best'

I remember this survey being on the front page of the West Australian Newspaper years ago
Lets just say it didn't go down well that Perth had lost to Melbourne as the
most livable place in the World to live because of all things .....The Weather
Its funny how Australians have very different views in which cities in this country have the best climate
Ah well Hairy, I don't think Melbourne has "the best" climate I just don't think it's a bad climate.

"Best climate" is so subjective, actually "best" anything is pretty subjective.

In terms of the weather here, for the most part it suits me just fine and I prefer it to other parts of the country. That's not so say that I don't thoroughly enjoy heading North (or West for that matter) during the winter from time to time but climatically speaking I'm glad I live here.

Good to know that us winning "Best City In the World to Live" because of the weather put the wind up the Sand Gropers though.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 08:59 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I've heard that given as one of the main reasons why MEL's considered to be such an interesting city. The weather being less encouraging for outdoor activities, so they've created an environment more conducive to other things & a greater variety of things to do.

Perth's excellent if you're a very outdoorsy person, especially early in the morning. One of the main anti-DST reasons put forth is that people prefer getting up before 5am and rowing, swimming, cycling, etc. I have been out and about that early on occasion and the place is deserted, but apparently these early risers are out there. Somewhere.

Being all fit and active, despite the physical attributes of many Perthlings being in direct contrast to what one would expect such vigorous people to look like.
Interesting concept.
I'd never thought that a warm climate could make a lot of people less imaginative.

I am "outdoorsy" and I am "vigourous",
but I could imagine early morning being one of my least favorite times of day in Perth; that's when it's cooler/colder outside.
(Is that the point of early-morning activity for Perthlings? )
Take January for example, it averages 17 C at dawn and 31 C midday.
I find I definitely prefer it to be at least 21 C for almost anything outdoors,
so that probably wouldn't happen until 1-3 hours after sunrise.
Or worse, take July when it's 9 C at dawn but 18 C midday.

LMAO! Sounds like 95% of Perthlings *think* they are fit like olympians.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I am "outdoorsy" and I am "vigourous",
but I could imagine early morning being one of my least favorite times of day in Perth; that's when it's cooler/colder outside.
(Is that the point of early-morning activity for Perthlings? ).
With DST, it was darker in the mornings so all those allegedly very active Perthlings didn't like it because of the lack of light, not the temperature. Some reporters did manage to find some of these vigorous types, down at Cottesloe Beach (posh part of town). They were all about 70 years old. Vastly different lifestyle and priorities than the rest of us but the news stories were always about the poor old Cott geezers as if that was Perth.

There were other reasons given for not wanting DST, mostly about it making it too hot ??? And not being able to put the kids to bed because it was too light ??? And that if we wanted to enjoy the beach, to do so in the morning ??? And the classic one: we already get enough daylight during the day, we don't need an extra hour of it

But, no use complaining about it. The majority voted it down and that's that. As they like to say here: if you don't like it, eff off. So we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Take January for example, it averages 17 C at dawn and 31 C midday.
I used to see the kids off to school and then go for my run. I'd finish just before 9:30am and it would already be 30 degrees during the warm months, never mind midday. This was without DST. It'd be a bit cooler with DST but hot's hot here. Shifting the clocks one hour really doesn't cause the catastrophe that many imagine. But it's pointless arguing. It's just weird here, that way.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:32 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Ah well Hairy, I don't think Melbourne has "the best" climate I just don't think it's a bad climate.

"Best climate" is so subjective, actually "best" anything is pretty subjective.

In terms of the weather here, for the most part it suits me just fine and I prefer it to other parts of the country. That's not so say that I don't thoroughly enjoy heading North (or West for that matter) during the winter from time to time but climatically speaking I'm glad I live here.

Good to know that us winning "Best City In the World to Live" because of the weather put the wind up the Sand Gropers though.....
So true Moonshadow, "Best climate" is so subjective
My sister lives in Darwin and its probably to hot and humid for most
But my sister finds that climate is just about perfect. Each to their own

Quote:
I've heard that given as one of the main reasons why MEL's considered to be such an interesting city. The weather being less encouraging for outdoor activities, so they've created an environment more conducive to other things & a greater variety of things to do.

Perth's excellent if you're a very outdoorsy person, especially early in the morning. One of the main anti-DST reasons put forth is that people prefer getting up before 5am and rowing, swimming, cycling, etc. I have been out and about that early on occasion and the place is deserted, but apparently these early risers are out there. Somewhere. Being all fit and active, despite the physical attributes of many Perthlings being in direct contrast to what one would expect such vigorous people to look like.

I suppose if you're up that early being that active, you'll want to be hitting the sack early, so you don't mind the early darkness outside. So forget showing up at a restaurant at 8:45pm here. They're expecting you to be clearing out by then. Kitchen's closing. To bed with you, Perthling! After-movie coffee and cake with friends? Go home. Restaurants don't even want you for that. At least not in suburbia, which is 90% of Perth.

It's a strange place in many ways. Rather limiting. And if you can't adapt to that, you'll never be happy. So it's best to leave. As it won't change. No point in fighting it. It's just the way it is here.
Vichel like you I find Perth backwards in many ways
Don't get me started on our trading laws and like you
I was excited when they finally started the 3 year trial
on daylight saving. What surprised me in the end was
I was against daylight saving. Guess I preferred my early
walks more than my afternoon strolls

Its true what you said that restaurants close at 8:45pm here
A little off topic but I was a little surprised that U.S TV
networks still consider 10 pm Prime time. Most Australians
would be in bed then. Maybe we are early sleepers ???

Last edited by HairyandScary; 10-06-2009 at 01:41 AM..

Old 10-06-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
So true Moonshadow, "Best climate" is so subjective
My sister lives in Darwin and its probably to hot and humid for most
But my sister finds that climate is just about perfect. Each to their own
I have cousins in Darwin and they love it! AND they're originally Victorians too.

I'm busting to go visit Darwin but I'll be waiting till the dead of winter to do it because I wouldn't cope with the too hot and humid. I do like hot weather, just not so hot that you could fry an egg on the concrete and humidity I really don't cope well with at all. But that's just me.

I can understand why people like the hot and humid, used to like it myself, but things change.

One of the things I do love about Melbourne is the changing weather. There's hot and cold and wind and rain and sunshine, lots of different climactic changes and a wide variety of weather, right across the city and the state. That's not to say that I don't like other climates across the country either. It's really beautiful to be in Queensland on a balmy spring evening and I adore being in WA when it's hot and all blue sky BUT I wouldn't like it ALL the time.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I have cousins in Darwin and they love it! AND they're originally Victorians too.

I'm busting to go visit Darwin but I'll be waiting till the dead of winter to do it because I wouldn't cope with the too hot and humid. I do like hot weather, just not so hot that you could fry an egg on the concrete and humidity I really don't cope well with at all. But that's just me.

I can understand why people like the hot and humid, used to like it myself, but things change.

One of the things I do love about Melbourne is the changing weather. There's hot and cold and wind and rain and sunshine, lots of different climactic changes and a wide variety of weather, right across the city and the state. That's not to say that I don't like other climates across the country either. It's really beautiful to be in Queensland on a balmy spring evening and I adore being in WA when it's hot and all blue sky BUT I wouldn't like it ALL the time.
Generally I do like the weather in Perth
But I must admit I would prefer a little bit of variety
It does seem like we just get 6 months of rain
then 6 months of sunshine without anything in between
I used to love the hot weather here so I could spend all day
on the beach. But sadly as you get older (40 ) that
lifestyle doesn't quite have the appeal in once had

Old 10-06-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Generally I do like the weather in Perth
But I must admit I would prefer a little bit of variety
It does seem like we just get 6 months of rain
then 6 months of sunshine without anything in between
I used to love the hot weather here so I could spend all day
on the beach. But sadly as you get older (40 ) that
lifestyle doesn't quite have the appeal in once had
Geez Hairy! Way to make a girl feel old!

I agree though. Seems as you get older the old internal thermostat goes hay wire and before you know it you're doddering around lamenting the lack of 24c days.

I used to really love the hot weather myself but it's not as kind to me these days and seemingly now when it starts to get up there in temperature I'm reduced to a hot, simpering mess JUST doing really simple stuff. When I was a kid you'd be tearing around in 30+ temps and didn't seem to get hot at all. I have to say though it still gets stinking hot here in Melbourne in the Summer and aside from this week (where clearly the universe has decided to dump ALL our Winter rainfall AND HAIL on us in 3 days ) we don't seem to get a lot of "good" rain here anymore.

I think too that the differences in climate really does have a big impact on how we live our lives. When we were in Queensland recently I really loved getting up and going for a walk in the morning and even a swim BUT I'd need a fire cracker and a whole lot more to motivate me to do that down here this time of year. Maybe that's why Melburnians love their cawfee so much?

Old 10-06-2009, 05:12 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,570 times
Quote:
Vichel like you I find Perth backwards in many ways
Don't get me started on our trading laws and like you
I was excited when they finally started the 3 year trial
on daylight saving. What surprised me in the end was
I was against daylight saving. Guess I preferred my early
walks more than my afternoon strolls
I would have been fine with stopping it earlier than the end of March because it got strange at the end with the dark mornings. The trading laws are more bizarre than anything. A complete dog's breakfast - such a confusing mess.

Quote:
Its true what you said that restaurants close at 8:45pm here
Especially annoying on a nice warm summer's night on the coast. But then it'll now be dark before then, so nothing to see anyway, may as well go home and shut the blinds. Like everyone else.

It's more a case of feeling like your life is dictated to by others' narrower, limited view of things. It's like we've got to live our lives a certain way, the Perth way. No choice. Sort of a trapped feeling.

Quote:
A little off topic but I was a little surprised that U.S TV
networks still consider 10 pm Prime time. Most Australians
would be in bed then. Maybe we are early sleepers ???
Yeah, and they've had their Late Shows for years. But we get away with a lot more naughty stuff on TV than in America.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:

I used to see the kids off to school and then go for my run. I'd finish just before 9:30am and it would already be 30 degrees during the warm months, never mind midday. This was without DST. It'd be a bit cooler with DST but hot's hot here. Shifting the clocks one hour really doesn't cause the catastrophe that many imagine. But it's pointless arguing. It's just weird here, that way.
Yeah, but by 9:30 am it'd still be sunny with DST.

When I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC with a similar latitude (33.5 N) sunrise is just before 7 am and sunset is just shortly after 8 pm.
Here sunset's at 43 N, sunset's after 9 pm mid-summer, which I agree is hard for putting kids to bed.
But I thought Myrtle Beach's longest days combined with DST is more of a "happy balance."

The reason I like DST so much is that I can actually use more of the daylight.
Anytime you don't wake up before sunrise, DST has the benefit of allowing you to have and use more daylight.
If someone didn't want the extra light, no one's stopping them from taking an afternoon nap.

Another added benefit is it's usually warmer at sunset than at sunrise.
Even on a "hot" day, it might be 27-29 C around sunset, but 18-21 C around sunrise;
I'd rather be outside for the 27-29 C just after dark.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 AM

Dark mornings?

I wonder if any Australian cities ever get later sunrises than Toronto?
Our latest sunrise is 7:47 am.
When you add overcast to that, it feels dark until about 8:15 am.

I found myself that sunrises after 7:30 am can be annoying sometimes,
and we have that for about 1.5 months a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand