Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 17,729 times

Advertisements

I plan on (hopefully) moving to America, in around two years, maybe even one. I'm only seventeen, and I realise this is still early, but in only a few weeks I'll have finished my final exams and will begin looking for a job so I can begin saving up. I hope to move to Los Angeles, obviously like most naive young teenagers to pursue a career in film.. I realise the HUGE difficulties, it's not so much about 'making it' as much as it is to be involved with that culture and to be with others interested in film production, I'm more interested in behind the scenes type stuff, in particular directing or DP.

I'll be moving over with a friend with similar ambitions, so we'll be living together probably to help cushion the likely to be large cost of living in LA.

Obviously I want to live in a safe area, but because I'll be quite poor, is that actually possible? I've read it can be difficult, but if living with someone, it's possible. I didn't think living actually in any part of Hollywood was possible because I figured it would be ridiculously expensive, but from brief researching it actually sounds like an apartment might be possible to find? What's public transport like, I hear it's terrible?

How long is it likely I'll be allowed to live in America? I hear it's very difficult to obtain citizenship in America, my brother mentioned that you have to have lived there quite a while to try get citizenship, is this true?

Right now, I don't know a lot of the details of actually moving to Los Angeles, but it would be great for people to help fill me in, and remove my cloud of ignorance. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:35 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Good luck and "break a leg."
Are you able to speak with an American accent? I hear it used to be neccessary,
nowadays Down Under accents are "cool" or better accepted in film, but it might open you up for more role possibilities.

You might want to post this on the California or Los Angeles forum for knowledge of area safety and rental prices.

The area that encompasses "Hollywood" is at least partially "ghetto" nowadays... at least since the 1960's. Not to be confused with "Beverly Hills" which is probably still entirely upscale. Perhaps there could be affordable "Hollywood" accomodations.

Public transport?
L.A. is FAMOUS for smog due to local topography, climate and the fact that almost everyone drives where ever they go. Have you ever seen "Crocodile Dundee III"? He says in the film "... L.A. truly is a city on wheels. They won't even get out of their car to MUG ya!..." () Public transit exists, but I'm totally unaware of its reliability, or "safety."

Well 6 months no worries to start (holiday). After that I think you need to find some sort of visa. I believe there are "migrant worker" visas that are supposed to be easy to get, but have no idea how long they last. I do know that if you are recognised as a "performer" of some kind, this can make it easier to get a work visa.

As a New Zealand citizen, you are probably eligible for the "Diversity Visa" program, which used to be called "Green Card Lottery." It basically still is a lottery, but you might be waiting years before you get picked. Once picked, you have to be ready to move to the U.S.A. within weeks, and it's a permanent-residency visa.
*As a Canadian citizen, I am uneligible for this because "too many Canadians" already live there.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-12-2009 at 08:45 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 10:02 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
The first thing you need is a work permit/visa (before you arrive in the USA) and they are very difficult to get.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
There are work visas available for the USA that can be obtained usually without much hardship if you are involved in professional music, tv, films, art, etc. The only caveat is that you have to have a solid resume of work in your home country or elsewhere to be considered for it. If you have no experience, you have no chance. That's why you see a lot of aussie actors try to get on "Neighbors" or some other show for a few years so they can qualify for a visa to go to hollywood.

When you turn up in the USA you will only be able to stay 3 months and not work legally. I have known some kiwis and aussies that overstayed visas and were deported and asked never to return, so I would not play around with the immigration system.

One option for you is to get a working holiday visa or J-1 visa for a seasonal job and those are simple to obtain and allow you to work in the USA for 4-12 months. You have to be sponsored for that through a non profit like BUNAC or IEP. Those are not long term visas, but they allow you to obtain seasonal employment to give you a cultural experience of the USA. It is handy to take advantage as it would allow you a "toe in the water" experience of the USA.

So mostly without a visa you don't really have many options. You are probably also unaware that the Los Angeles area has 5 times the population of New Zealand. It is an interesting place to visit, but as an 18 yr old without a work visa you will last probably one week. There are 18 yr olds that go to LA all the time with similar dreams and end up on drugs, dead or on skid row. And there are plenty of hustlers that will tell you anything you want to hear to relieve you of money. I like LA but it can be a very hard city and not one for a wet behind the ears 18 year old from a foreign country.

I've been involved in filming myself and know some people on the stunt side of the entertainment business. It's a tough deal to get involved in. It's not like going to get a job at McDonalds or something.

The most sensible thing you can do since NZ has a thriving film industry is to get your education, get started in NZ and build up a body of work with a good CV and then you'll be able to get a visa to try out Hollywood.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 AM

5 posts, read 17,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Good luck and "break a leg."
Are you able to speak with an American accent? I hear it used to be neccessary,
nowadays Down Under accents are "cool" or better accepted in film, but it might open you up for more role possibilities.
I don't really plan on acting... of course if the chance comes up, I may go for it, but I don't plan on acting.

Quote:
Public transport?
L.A. is FAMOUS for smog due to local topography, climate and the fact that almost everyone drives where ever they go. Have you ever seen "Crocodile Dundee III"? He says in the film "... L.A. truly is a city on wheels. They won't even get out of their car to MUG ya!..." () Public transit exists, but I'm totally unaware of its reliability, or "safety."
Yeah, I've heard about it's 'infamy' in that area.

Quote:
As a New Zealand citizen, you are probably eligible for the "Diversity Visa" program, which used to be called "Green Card Lottery." It basically still is a lottery, but you might be waiting years before you get picked. Once picked, you have to be ready to move to the U.S.A. within weeks, and it's a permanent-residency visa.
*As a Canadian citizen, I am uneligible for this because "too many Canadians" already live there.
Lol, that sucks for you man, but thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
There are work visas available for the USA that can be obtained usually without much hardship if you are involved in professional music, tv, films, art, etc. The only caveat is that you have to have a solid resume of work in your home country or elsewhere to be considered for it. If you have no experience, you have no chance. That's why you see a lot of aussie actors try to get on "Neighbors" or some other show for a few years so they can qualify for a visa to go to hollywood.

When you turn up in the USA you will only be able to stay 3 months and not work legally. I have known some kiwis and aussies that overstayed visas and were deported and asked never to return, so I would not play around with the immigration system.

One option for you is to get a working holiday visa or J-1 visa for a seasonal job and those are simple to obtain and allow you to work in the USA for 4-12 months. You have to be sponsored for that through a non profit like BUNAC or IEP. Those are not long term visas, but they allow you to obtain seasonal employment to give you a cultural experience of the USA. It is handy to take advantage as it would allow you a "toe in the water" experience of the USA.

So mostly without a visa you don't really have many options. You are probably also unaware that the Los Angeles area has 5 times the population of New Zealand. It is an interesting place to visit, but as an 18 yr old without a work visa you will last probably one week. There are 18 yr olds that go to LA all the time with similar dreams and end up on drugs, dead or on skid row. And there are plenty of hustlers that will tell you anything you want to hear to relieve you of money. I like LA but it can be a very hard city and not one for a wet behind the ears 18 year old from a foreign country.

I've been involved in filming myself and know some people on the stunt side of the entertainment business. It's a tough deal to get involved in. It's not like going to get a job at McDonalds or something.

The most sensible thing you can do since NZ has a thriving film industry is to get your education, get started in NZ and build up a body of work with a good CV and then you'll be able to get a visa to try out Hollywood.
Thanks for the advice, I do plan on trying my best go get experience, and it's exciting how NZ has really boomed since Lord of the Rings in terms of the film industry. I've got a long while before I make any definitive plans, this is still all wishful thinking. I realise the extreme difficulty the film & tv industry is, even here it's tough to get much experience, I know a film director and a few actors who may be able to help me with getting a job on a film set. I've been talking with my Careers Adviser at my school, and he may be able to get me working on the local television station, completely voluntary and unpaid work, not sure what I'll be doing or for how long though.

Thanks for the advice guys, if anyone else has anything to add please do so, I appreciate any advice/help. I've been also thinking of going to a different city rather than LA to get experience, I've read San Diego can be alright for television, and New York is obviously quite good for theater. Again, still this is just wishful thinking at this point in time.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:08 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,198 times
I'm 22 years old, spent a few years in Australia and lived in various states across America including California. Most people overseas have a completely different view of Los Angeles than what it is really like. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I just want you to know before moving. I have three friends who want to move to Los Angeles for the same reason you are after college. Competition is extremely tough, you need to have a good portfolio already built up to even stand a chance in LA.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCH-NZ View Post
Thanks for the advice, I do plan on trying my best go get experience, and it's exciting how NZ has really boomed since Lord of the Rings in terms of the film industry. I've got a long while before I make any definitive plans, this is still all wishful thinking. I realise the extreme difficulty the film & tv industry is, even here it's tough to get much experience, I know a film director and a few actors who may be able to help me with getting a job on a film set. I've been talking with my Careers Adviser at my school, and he may be able to get me working on the local television station, completely voluntary and unpaid work, not sure what I'll be doing or for how long though.
Having "been there, done that" if I could go back and change anything I'd go for the experience over the formal education, whether paid or unpaid. However a formal education is still good, but I would probably seek out more chances to get experience. Hence take advantage of experience(even if unpaid) because it's all about who you know and what experience you have.

The reality is most work I get is because someone recommended me, not because they saw my resume and also I am starting to get certain jobs just because I had some previous experience others didn't have.

Take advantage of everything you can get. Think long term. For most people it takes years of hard work and knocking on doors and staying focused to be a success.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:25 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
I've noticed that it can take 10-20 years to get the connections &/or recognition one deserves PROFESSIONALLY... one deserves it as one earns it...

As a former Angeleno, my advice would be to scope out Torrance, CA. West of Hawthorne BLVD or within 2 blocks east are the okay parts as of now...Later may be different.

Craigslist, as well as the Daily Breeze (local "South Bay" newspaper of Los Angeles County) will keep you apprised of the going rates for rooming & rentals in general.

In CA, people say "LA" when they mean the city OR the county. The county is huge with little pockets of okay neighborhoods surrounded by less desirable neighborhoods.

The less desirable neighborhoods are where your house or car will more likely be broken into. However, anywhere in the US, you want to stow valuables (purse, wallet, ipod, laptop, gps) in your car where they aren't visible to the casual onlooker... Common sense.

There are many many threads/posts on CD about safety of any given Los Angeles neighborhood... I mention Torrance because it's within less than an hour of downtown LA or any given LA type place you want to go & there's the beach in Torrance, too. A little slice of metro heaven.

Come to LA for your crowded commutes, frazzled parents & crazy nightlife. It's gonna cost ya!

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 10-15-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 12:28 PM

278 posts, read 467,656 times
There are millions (or billions?) who love movies. As a result, there are many universities offering related degrees, and many with degrees who still cannot work in the field because the number of qualified and skilled people greatly exceeds the number of jobs.

I would get all the university education you can in your home country (through masters, if possible) and then move if you still want to. Not for nothing, if you do move, you really want to avoid public transportation and avoid drugs too. You don't want to move in bad circles.

I think that directing films is more about entrepreneurship. DIY as much as possible and get your work shown around.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCH-NZ View Post
I plan on (hopefully) moving to America, in around two years, maybe even one. I'm only seventeen, and I realise this is still early, but in only a few weeks I'll have finished my final exams and will begin looking for a job so I can begin saving up. I hope to move to Los Angeles, obviously like most naive young teenagers to pursue a career in film.. I realise the HUGE difficulties, it's not so much about 'making it' as much as it is to be involved with that culture and to be with others interested in film production, I'm more interested in behind the scenes type stuff, in particular directing or DP.

I'll be moving over with a friend with similar ambitions, so we'll be living together probably to help cushion the likely to be large cost of living in LA.

Obviously I want to live in a safe area, but because I'll be quite poor, is that actually possible? I've read it can be difficult, but if living with someone, it's possible. I didn't think living actually in any part of Hollywood was possible because I figured it would be ridiculously expensive, but from brief researching it actually sounds like an apartment might be possible to find? What's public transport like, I hear it's terrible?

How long is it likely I'll be allowed to live in America? I hear it's very difficult to obtain citizenship in America, my brother mentioned that you have to have lived there quite a while to try get citizenship, is this true?

Right now, I don't know a lot of the details of actually moving to Los Angeles, but it would be great for people to help fill me in, and remove my cloud of ignorance. Thanks!!
Very, very unwise idea sweetie. I don't even know where to start but seeing as you sound very persistent all I can say now is at least make sure you will be able to afford a plane ticket back to NZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand