U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:23 AM

42,661 posts, read 81,193,687 times

Advertisements

What are the prices of the cheapest places to stay overnight when motoring around rural areas of Australia, in small towns along the way? Zero-star accommodations only, maybe one-star in emergency. Are motels the most common types of accommodations, or are there other types of road houses?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 02:06 AM

4,437 posts, read 6,394,886 times
Depending on where you are, if you are looking for a bed, their may not be any alternatives. Their will be one place and thats all you will have to choose from. In very rural areas the local pub, is usually the only choice you will have.
Most Coastal towns will usually have a motel a caravan park or a youth hostel
In the outback however with towns anywhere up to 500km apart, and most not big enough to support two different types of bed accomidation, thoes that do exist tend to have a monopoly and charge as such.
Most serious travellers around oz take a caravan with them, buy a combie van and sleep in the back, or just pitch a tent on the side of the road.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-13-2009 at 02:32 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 AM

10,791 posts, read 8,175,616 times
And a lot of campsites will have cabins, studios, chalets, etc. onsite, that sleep varying amounts of people.

We don't have the same amazing variety of accommodation that the US does. And not as cheap either.

Also watch school holidays - you may not find anything available in popular spots (or even not so popular spots). We have four school terms with three 2-week breaks between them - approximately April, July & late Sep/early Oct. And the two weeks after Christmas are often booked out as well. Summer holidays are from late Dec to about Feb 1st.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,445,443 times
I find most motels in general over-priced. Caravan parks would be a better option - on-site vans or budget cabins. Some motels/hotels have budget rooms too. If a town has them I'd opt for a backpacker hostel - more facilities and cheaper. If the weather's warm and there aren't too many mossies I'd personally just like to roll out a swag and sleep under the stars.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,697,971 times
it will be just as hard to come up with prices for the us..

when i travel around Oz i always check wotif.com.au

Old 10-14-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
it will be just as hard to come up with prices for the us..
Not really, In the US, Motels are virtually the only choice, and you can almost always find one for less than $45, but rarely as low as $30. That's a pretty narrow spread.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 AM

787 posts, read 1,632,863 times
if you're doing a lot of travel and you're going with family, i would suggest you look at hiring a car and travel trailer (in Oz they're called caravans) or a motorhome (Oz: campervan).
If you're by yourself, perhaps look at youth hostels.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:39 PM

9,845 posts, read 21,188,888 times
Zero star accommodation to me is sleeping by the side of the road in a tent.

There are hostels around but I only see them often in touristy areas of Australia, not so much rural areas.

A lot of the pubs in rural towns have rooms upstairs to let, partly for drunks to sleep it off. Most of those rooms have shared bathrooms.

I have also used the Budget Motel Chain which is fairly common across Australia and mostly they were serviceable for nights stay.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:56 AM

My first choice would be to buy a second hand vehicle (to be resold) that two can sleep in the back of, but that is not something that can be arranged in advance, and I'm thinking about a plan B.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:42 PM

9,845 posts, read 21,188,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My first choice would be to buy a second hand vehicle (to be resold) that two can sleep in the back of, but that is not something that can be arranged in advance, and I'm thinking about a plan B.
There is a company in Australia that sells cheap Ford Falcons and Holdens and promises to buy them back when you leave. So there are options.

Australia is a very scrutinizing country to enter. When I was younger I had to show I could support myself and that I had funds to visit. I can't remember the exact dollar figure. Basically I showed I had cash, an atm card, credit card and told them what my job was back in the USA and I had no problems. I imagine if you turn up looking as a poor student with a backpack you will probably get questioned.

Honestly if your budget is so low you have to sleep in a car, I wouldn't go. I say that from personal experience traveling on a budget. Maybe it's just me but traveling isn't fun sleeping in rough places, eating crap food and traveling cheap. I'd save more money and then go.

People might disagree but based on my extensive experience traveling to Australia and NZ for long periods of time $200 a day in the local currency is a reasonable budget. I keep track of all my expenses and some days I'm way under budget and sometimes over. My last trip went way, way, way over budget due to the low US$ and high fuel prices among other things. However previously I usually came in a couple hundred bucks under budget for the month.

That $200 allows for accommodation that is in a safe area and that has a decent bed and bathroom, food, admission to museums, attractions, etc., souvenirs or sundry items, fuel for the car, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand