U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,200,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I wonder if they update Google Street View? They couldn't have picked a worse time to take our house's/street's photos. I think it was mid January after it'd been really hot and really dry over Christmas. So the grass is pale and parched all along the street. Plus they must have took it mid-day, on a hot, dry day because it has that stark lighting effect, with little contrast. On top of that, it was our Bulk Pickup week so we and everyone else has crap piled in front of their houses, on the verge, ready for pickup - old TVs, washing machines, mounds of dried up tree prunings, big rubbish bags, etc. You'd think it was some rundown feral-ville in the back of beyond the way it looks
They do update it because before this "current" picture they had one of our place with all my brother's dead cars scattered about the place. It's what set me on a mission to have him come remove them. I mean they'd only been there a few weeks but somehow that was the time they decided to take the pic.

I think I'd die if they'd taken it during hard rubbish collection month.
It was bad enough having hard rubbish go on while MM was here and all the "charming" characters and "local colour" that brings out.

It seems to be more regularly updated in the States, well seemingly MM's place has had pics taken in different seasons in the last 12 months....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:11 PM

4,723 posts, read 7,791,501 times
Haha...My city's street view was taken in the middle of winter a couple of years ago. The whole city looks so brown. There's frost on the roof of my house and a huge ugly pile of leaves that I didn't have time to pick up the day before, so I know exactly what you guys are talking about.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:03 PM

42,661 posts, read 81,164,721 times
Just curious---what kind of visa did you have for four months, and what did you have to do to get one?

Old 10-17-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just curious---what kind of visa did you have for four months, and what did you have to do to get one?
Trimac is an Australian citizen, he doesn't need a Visa to travel around the country of his citizenship.

Australia Visa and Immigration Information

Old 10-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Haha...My city's street view was taken in the middle of winter a couple of years ago. The whole city looks so brown. There's frost on the roof of my house and a huge ugly pile of leaves that I didn't have time to pick up the day before, so I know exactly what you guys are talking about.
Maybe nobody's house looks good from above?

We'll probably all have to start designing and maintaining with Google Earth in mind now. Bet we see it on those home and reno shows before too long. How To Increase Your Google Earth Appeal or something like that.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:42 PM

9,845 posts, read 21,182,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you are 18-30 and an American citizen you can obtain a working holiday visa for 4 months or a year, but you have to go through a sponsoring agency like BUNAC or IEP. The application, fees and visa are pretty simple to obtain that way.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:40 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,417,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
It was a treat for me too, Tri. And I'm so glad you got to see all that you did. You're right though, the more you see, the more you realize there's so much more to see! What did you think of Kalbarri? Did you climb up to Nature's Window in the National Park? Actually, you'd have been there for the wildflowers, yes? What was that like? AND did you see any whale sharks at Ningaloo?

Well just so you know, if you're looking at my place on Google street view, you're looking at a picture of how it was about 4 years ago. (and I live in the mid to inner suburbs of the second largest city in the country.)AND from checking out quite a few other places here I've discovered that quite a lot of the footage and pics are very old. Take for instance the corner of Flinders Street and Kings Street (Kings Way) right in the middle of downtown Melbourne. The construction site on the left corner of the intersection, opposite The Waterside is actually now a completed building.

Indeed , it was great how you showed me around your neighbourhood and all the places that meant something to you, gives you an idea of the history of a place as viewed from someone who lives there.

Yes Kalbarri was magnificent, we saw Nature's Window and had a walk through the gorges. Unfortunately a few days prior to that my cam conked out on me so no pics. I also don't have any Great Ocean Road or Daintree Pics. Actually been having some problems with the computer but will have pics on soon, I'll try to post some of the best ones I took.

Ah yes, no Whale sharks, they're only there about Feb-May, but we did go on a day trip and go to snorkel with manta rays, which was such a surreal experience. I must have got to within a foot of one of them, they were a good 4 metres, as long and wide as a small car! The reef was probably better than the Whitsundays: so much life it was mind-boggling!

Oh yeah I hope the trip to Queensland went well. Which part was your favourite? I think we missed each other by a few days actually!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Indeed , it was great how you showed me around your neighbourhood and all the places that meant something to you, gives you an idea of the history of a place as viewed from someone who lives there.
Well it was really great to have you come to visit. My only regret was that the timing wasn't great for me so it hampered my efforts at showing you around. AND the weather wasn't condusive to a lot of places either but never mind, there's always next time. I guess when I go somewhere I prefer to view it through the eyes of those who live there if the opportunity arises. Tourist places and activities are great and all but they can be somewhat contrived. Some of my best experiences travelling have been when locals have been able to share their experience of their home with me. (then again, one of my best memories of LA was going to a local supermarket so what would I know? )

Quote:
Yes Kalbarri was magnificent, we saw Nature's Window and had a walk through the gorges. Unfortunately a few days prior to that my cam conked out on me so no pics. I also don't have any Great Ocean Road or Daintree Pics. Actually been having some problems with the computer but will have pics on soon, I'll try to post some of the best ones I took.
Reckon you'd have been in Kalbarri at a good time of year for hiking through the gorges. I went in March. After traipsing about for a few hours, climbing up to Nature's Window and finally making it down to the picnic area all the while sweating like a running tap with a face like a beetroot, the tour guide informed us that it was in the low 50's in the gorges that day. I KNEW I was hot!! haha!
Still it is a magnificent spot. Can't wait to see what pics you did manage to get.

Quote:
Ah yes, no Whale sharks, they're only there about Feb-May, but we did go on a day trip and go to snorkel with manta rays, which was such a surreal experience. I must have got to within a foot of one of them, they were a good 4 metres, as long and wide as a small car! The reef was probably better than the Whitsundays: so much life it was mind-boggling!
Oh the rays are just soooo beautiful, aren't they? I've yet to snorkel with them but we did spend quite a bit of time just watching them glide by while we were at Seaworld. They actually have a pool there now where you can feed them and touch them. Magical creatures.
Not sure I'd be wanting to snorkel with the whale sharks anyway. Those things are the size of a BUS. I haven't snorkelled in WA yet but I've been hearing good things from people about the experience. We did snorkel off 1770 while we were in Queensland and I did find it to be one of the better snorkelling experiences I've had.

Quote:
Oh yeah I hope the trip to Queensland went well. Which part was your favourite? I think we missed each other by a few days actually!
ha! That'd be right. Seems to be the story of my life of late. The old "shoulda been here yesterday" trick!

All of Queensland was my favorite! BUT I was stoked to be able to take MM for his first snorkel of the GBR. We even got to watch some whales leaping and jumping just outside the lagoon at Lady Musgrave Island so that was pretty special. (AND it was free! The whale part, not the day trip.)
Manged FINALLY to get to Tropical Fruitworld at Duranbah, and try the Black Sapote (Chocolate Pudding Fruit), which I've only been wanting to do for at least 20 odd years. Told the bloke at the ticket box it was like arriving at my equivalent of Mecca.
Feeding the elephants at Australia Zoo was VERY COOL and I finally managed to get to the Bundy Factory at Bundaberg!
Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary was beautiful, as usual, and MM loved the Night Tour with the Aboriginal dancers.
Oh and coming across the Dragon Ship (set for the new Narnia movie) at Redland Bay was one of those great unexpected delights.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:59 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,417,941 times
Sounds you guys had a whale of a time!

I hope he was amazed (btw what does MM stand for?), I mean it's the GBR for goodness sake! Did either of you go snorking/diving?

Ah yes, those tropical fruit flavours are yummy as! We went to one place at Mossman in the Daintree and got to try 4 flavours for $5 (four generous sized scoops), I think they were black sapote (the 'chocolate fruit') which tasted kinda like mocha, mango, a white tropical fruit and raspberry i think.

Ah yes, the Sunshine Coast is an ideal place to holiday. Very pretty and lots to do. I really only saw Noosa and Maroochydore, so I missed a lot of it, including Australia Zoo. A lot of people told me it's really worth going to, have to check it out. The crocs must've been cool eh? The area around Brissie too has so much to see to see as well!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Sounds you guys had a whale of a time!
haha! Sure did!

Quote:
I hope he was amazed (btw what does MM stand for?), I mean it's the GBR for goodness sake! Did either of you go snorking/diving?!
MM=MinuteMan
And yes we did a reef tour out of 1770 that took us to a pontoon in the lagoon off Lady Musgrave Island where we went snorkelling on some really interesting and diverse reef. There was also the Island walking tour and a nice spot of lunch, morning and afternoon tea as well. They had glass bottom boats and we got to see some turtles, which was fantastic, along with all the tropical fish!
You could go scuba diving and/or fishing as well for an extra fee. It was a really well run tour but most of those tours are. The only bit I found difficult was the getting out to the reef. Lot of sea sick folks really don't do much for my own tummy.

Quote:
Ah yes, those tropical fruit flavours are yummy as! We went to one place at Mossman in the Daintree and got to try 4 flavours for $5 (four generous sized scoops), I think they were black sapote (the 'chocolate fruit') which tasted kinda like mocha, mango, a white tropical fruit and raspberry i think.
Mossman is beautiful, as is the Daintree. Did you get to go to Port Douglas and do Breakfast With The Birds? Oh and they have a great reef day trip out of Port Douglas where you can visit the Low Isles as well as see the reef.

Quote:
Ah yes, the Sunshine Coast is an ideal place to holiday. Very pretty and lots to do. I really only saw Noosa and Maroochydore, so I missed a lot of it, including Australia Zoo. A lot of people told me it's really worth going to, have to check it out. The crocs must've been cool eh? The area around Brissie too has so much to see to see as well!
I really enjoyed Australia Zoo but I must confess I prefer Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. MM said that Australia Zoo was the best he'd been to, so I guess that made an impression. I really love the Sunshine coast but we have a favorite spot we like to stay at in Currumbin which is right across the road from the wildlife sanctuary and it's got beach access from the other side of the property. I really love the place. You can walk down at the beach to your hearts content and there is Elephant Rock close by, while we were there they had a sculpture exhibition on the foreshore and I just prefer Currumbin in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand