U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,131,482 times

Advertisements

Well I'm finally back (I got back on the 10th actually), and have to say am even more amazed at the country I live in. My expectations were definitely exceeded...I never really expected to go on such a long odyssey, but there you go, there's something magical about Australia.

Here's a super brief recount:

Drove from Perth across to Adelaide, stopping at a few places a long the way. Nullabor is such an amazing place. Stayed Adelaide for a few days, worked at a potato farm for 2 weeks, explored most of southern South Australia - Murraylands, Coorong, Mt. Gambier area etc. Went into Vic, western coastal Vic was beaut. Melbourne for 3 weeks, where I caught up with moonshadow, which was as treat . Straight to Sydney along the Hume (gave a German tourist a lift). In Sydney sold my car, and travelled with three backpackers up the coast - love the Central coast, very beautiful. Belligen for three days. Took a train to Brissie, which, as luck would have it, recorded it's hottest August day ever (35C). Up to the Sunshine coast, Noosa was lovely. Then on to Fraser Island, interesting, than the Whitsundays which was a highlight. Cairns was nicer than I thought, couldn't ask for better weather either. Adored the Wet tropics - Daintree, Cape Trib etc scenic and gorgeous. Took a greyhound across Outback QLD to Mt. Isa, then Katherine in the N.T. At this point stinking hot. Then got a lift westward travelling with someone else, camping in the outback...Broome was alright, smaller than expected. From Broome to Perth went on a 10 day tour; Karijini N.P. spectacular. Ningaloo reef was amazing, so much marine life. Then on to Shark Bay and Kalbarri N.P. before heading back to Perth.

I've got heaps of photos too...If anyone has any questions etc I'd love to answer them! So yeah, if you ever get the chance you should really see Australia in detail. Ever after 4 months I can't say I have seen the entire country in detail. I feel I've barely scratched the surface and it's merely made me want to see more and do more. But alas, I've got the whole World to see as well...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,151,295 times
Fantastic, Trimac! You certainly got around! I remember you talking about wanting to travel and how much money you'd need, etc. And there you went and did it. Good for you.

Now that the travel bug has bitten you, where's the next trip to?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,935,817 times
Glad to hear you had a great trip.

What did you like about the Nullabor so much?
Which did you like better; Fraser Island or the Whitsundays?
Was the Top End or Kimberley interesting, despite the heat?

Good to hear you enjoyed the Ningaloo Reef area.
Though the land itself is pretty barren, it looks like the most appealing part of Australian coast to me, so far.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Fantastic, Trimac! You certainly got around! I remember you talking about wanting to travel and how much money you'd need, etc. And there you went and did it. Good for you.

Now that the travel bug has bitten you, where's the next trip to?
Sure did Vichel! I was kind of lucky, a few things went my way, otherwise I would not have been able to do it (without getting another job). In the end though I did it 'fairly' cheap and was able to do most of what I wanted to do.

Next I think America, or a round the world trip. Although I'm thinking if I go RTW I want to do it for at least 6 months. Many of the travellers I met were on RTW trips themselves (I didn't know so many people were doing it!). So I'm thinking the US for 2 months.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Glad to hear you had a great trip.

What did you like about the Nullabor so much?
Which did you like better; Fraser Island or the Whitsundays?
Was the Top End or Kimberley interesting, despite the heat?

Good to hear you enjoyed the Ningaloo Reef area.
Though the land itself is pretty barren, it looks like the most appealing part of Australian coast to me, so far.
Thanks CC. It was a real eye-opening experience.

The Nullabor; just it's remoteness and the silence of the place. It's dead silent, you don't hear the birds chirping or even the wind rustling much, unlike most of the Aussie bush. It also varies more than I thought, and has some interesting things to see like caves with fossils and cave art, magnificent cliffs; it's such a primeevil experience.

It's hard to pick. I enjoyed my experience at the Whitsundays more, as Fraser was mostly driving. Fraser's nice but there's nothing there I haven't already seen.

And yes, Ningaloo was one of the best parts of my trip. Got to snorkel alot on the reefs, and went swimming with the manta rays. The reefs are so accessible. I don't know if I'd want to live near there, though. Exmouth would be nice if you spend a lot of time doing those sort of things or are interested in nature. But it's mostly all desert.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:08 AM

787 posts, read 1,628,788 times
Quote:
I've got heaps of photos too...
should make a sticky with non-postcard photos of oz in it.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:22 PM

4,722 posts, read 7,729,631 times
I've always had a certain fascination with Australia, with it being similar, yet so different from the US. I'd be interested in seeing your pictures, because Google Street View can only show you so much of a place. Sounds like you've had an amazing trip.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 PM

9,845 posts, read 21,097,264 times
Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip Trimac.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,167,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well I'm finally back (I got back on the 10th actually), and have to say am even more amazed at the country I live in. My expectations were definitely exceeded...I never really expected to go on such a long odyssey, but there you go, there's something magical about Australia.

Here's a super brief recount:

Drove from Perth across to Adelaide, stopping at a few places a long the way. Nullabor is such an amazing place. Stayed Adelaide for a few days, worked at a potato farm for 2 weeks, explored most of southern South Australia - Murraylands, Coorong, Mt. Gambier area etc. Went into Vic, western coastal Vic was beaut. Melbourne for 3 weeks, where I caught up with moonshadow, which was as treat . Straight to Sydney along the Hume (gave a German tourist a lift). In Sydney sold my car, and travelled with three backpackers up the coast - love the Central coast, very beautiful. Belligen for three days. Took a train to Brissie, which, as luck would have it, recorded it's hottest August day ever (35C). Up to the Sunshine coast, Noosa was lovely. Then on to Fraser Island, interesting, than the Whitsundays which was a highlight. Cairns was nicer than I thought, couldn't ask for better weather either. Adored the Wet tropics - Daintree, Cape Trib etc scenic and gorgeous. Took a greyhound across Outback QLD to Mt. Isa, then Katherine in the N.T. At this point stinking hot. Then got a lift westward travelling with someone else, camping in the outback...Broome was alright, smaller than expected. From Broome to Perth went on a 10 day tour; Karijini N.P. spectacular. Ningaloo reef was amazing, so much marine life. Then on to Shark Bay and Kalbarri N.P. before heading back to Perth.

I've got heaps of photos too...If anyone has any questions etc I'd love to answer them! So yeah, if you ever get the chance you should really see Australia in detail. Ever after 4 months I can't say I have seen the entire country in detail. I feel I've barely scratched the surface and it's merely made me want to see more and do more. But alas, I've got the whole World to see as well...
It was a treat for me too, Tri. And I'm so glad you got to see all that you did. You're right though, the more you see, the more you realize there's so much more to see! What did you think of Kalbarri? Did you climb up to Nature's Window in the National Park? Actually, you'd have been there for the wildflowers, yes? What was that like? AND did you see any whale sharks at Ningaloo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I've always had a certain fascination with Australia, with it being similar, yet so different from the US. I'd be interested in seeing your pictures, because Google Street View can only show you so much of a place. Sounds like you've had an amazing trip.
Well just so you know, if you're looking at my place on Google street view, you're looking at a picture of how it was about 4 years ago. (and I live in the mid to inner suburbs of the second largest city in the country.)AND from checking out quite a few other places here I've discovered that quite a lot of the footage and pics are very old. Take for instance the corner of Flinders Street and Kings Street (Kings Way) right in the middle of downtown Melbourne. The construction site on the left corner of the intersection, opposite The Waterside is actually now a completed building.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:22 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,151,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well just so you know, if you're looking at my place on Google street view, you're looking at a picture of how it was about 4 years ago.
I wonder if they update Google Street View? They couldn't have picked a worse time to take our house's/street's photos. I think it was mid January after it'd been really hot and really dry over Christmas. So the grass is pale and parched all along the street. Plus they must have took it mid-day, on a hot, dry day because it has that stark lighting effect, with little contrast. On top of that, it was our Bulk Pickup week so we and everyone else has crap piled in front of their houses, on the verge, ready for pickup - old TVs, washing machines, mounds of dried up tree prunings, big rubbish bags, etc. You'd think it was some rundown feral-ville in the back of beyond the way it looks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand