U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM

493 posts, read 444,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As great as the GBR is there is plenty of other great things to see like the Daintree/Cape Trib/Mossman Gorge/Tully Gorge/Bellenden Ker. They're very different it all depends on what you want to see. I'm sure if you don't see one you can always see the other after/before your studies.

Oh did someone mention last week of September? Unless you like AFL NOT the time to go to Melbourne as the GF is on. Better weather up north too.
Good points. If I was to go to the reef, it would be just to snorkel. I'd personally rather go to the rainforest

Since I live in the USA, I'm not too familiar with AFL. But I'm sure it's kinda like LA when the Lakers reach the championships.

I may or may not be able to see both. It depends mostly on money and since the academic year ends just before Thanksgiving in the USA, I'd like to be back then to tell the family all about my adventures in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
The OP may be able to relate to this example:

If you go on a vacation to Vancouver, Canada - you can't really tell tourists from locals, you can be a tourist or you can blend in with the locals. If you go on a vacation to Ochos Rios, Jamaica - most people assume you are a tourist, constantly being hassled about booking a tour, and you feel like a tourist all the time. I didn't get a grasp for any real culture and felt the locals just looked at everyone as $ signs in Cairns. I had the complete opposite experience in Sydney.

Does that make more sense?
I can relate. I many areas of LA, I can't tell tourists from locals because they are not necessarily touristy areas. However....in places like Hollywood and Disneyland, you can DEFINITELY tell. But it's fun sometimes to hear the different accents and languages of the tourists
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 PM

24,682 posts, read 51,017,784 times
^ The AFL Grand Final is on par with the Melbourne Cup and Australian Open as the biggest sporting event in the calendar here. It's like the Super Bowl, but a greater percentage of people actually watch it for the game.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:14 AM

1,093 posts, read 2,483,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
The OP may be able to relate to this example:

If you go on a vacation to Vancouver, Canada - you can't really tell tourists from locals, you can be a tourist or you can blend in with the locals. If you go on a vacation to Ochos Rios, Jamaica - most people assume you are a tourist, constantly being hassled about booking a tour, and you feel like a tourist all the time. I didn't get a grasp for any real culture and felt the locals just looked at everyone as $ signs in Cairns. I had the complete opposite experience in Sydney.

Does that make more sense?
Im not suprised about Jamaica,with a majority black population, anyone who might not be black would be considered an outsider, even if they weren't. With Liberal western democracies you have multiculturalism which means anyone can blend in.

About cairns, the comment suprised me. Are you Australian? I am, and in Cairns everyone I met was from somewhere else. The bank teller, American. People asking me directions, British. I don't know how locals of Cairns feel,but I certainly felt that I was the only Australian around!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 AM

787 posts, read 1,627,338 times
Quote:
About cairns, the comment suprised me. Are you Australian? I am, and in Cairns everyone I met was from somewhere else. The bank teller, American. People asking me directions, British. I don't know how locals of Cairns feel,but I certainly felt that I was the only Australian around!
i noticed this a bit, too when i was up there. The boat I went out on to the reef had mainly american crew, people working in restaurants and such all with heavy, foreign accents. Even the crocodile farm a bit south had new zealand staff. I also recall visiting some exotic fruits farm which was run by some dutch expats. The only place where the aussie accent ruled was in the daintree.

Speaking of, I found the daintree far more interesting than the reef. The reef has way too much tourism going on which apparently is damaging it alot. I remember reading about an environmentalist and marine biologist who had been working around the reef for three decades talking about all the rubbish he finds floating around the reef - like a tampon that was in a fish' mouth. Yuck.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:01 PM

24,682 posts, read 51,017,784 times
^ I found the same thing all throughout Queensland, so many tourists on working holidays. Yeah the Whitsundays are like that, you can see the damaged coral when you go snorkelling. It's crazy how many people visit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand