Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:38 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,900,601 times

Advertisements

Me and my friend are coming to visit Sydney from November 21st to November 30th and we are trying to nail down some type of Itinerary for the 10 day visit.

We are both 27 y/o well traveled and good looking fellas from Atlanta/Los Angeles and Long Beach. We like Hip-Hop/R&B clubs and we diving/surfing and just hanging out at the beach and going to good clubs/bars/restaurants and socializing and meeting local people and getting into some culture.

Right now we are staying at the Sheraton in Darling Harbour for the entire trip but we would like to see some other parts of the country If possible during that time frame.

If anyone could recommend some itineraries or day trips or weekend or 2-3 day trips outside of Sydney where we can possibly split are time out that would be awesome! If anyone wants to chime in with any tips and places to go and check out that would ge cool as well. Looking forward to hanging out Down Under! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:36 PM

43,309 posts, read 44,028,521 times
I recommend visiting Melbourne.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:10 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,808,656 times
If you make use of your time 10 days is fairly long.

I would recommend the following:

1 day exploring the CBD, Pitt St, George St, shopping
1 day to see the Art Gallery, Botanical Gardens
1 day at the beaches, Bondi, Cronulla, and Sydney Harbour NP, the Gap etc
1 day take the ferry to Taronga Zoo in the morning and then Manly
2 days and 1 night trip to the Blue Mountains
2 days 1 night trip to Canberra
Day trip to the Northern Beaches or Royal N.P.
Perhaps take a ferry cat to Parramatta, see Homebush and Cabramatta

Just a suggestion, but I think you'd get to see most of the things around Sydney. If you want to see Melbourne I would recommend trying to extend your stay to at least two weeks there really is a lot to see in both cities.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
Would it be possible to split the trip up to see both Melbourne and Sydney in 5 days each? We can modify our room stay at the Sheraton no problem. I know a girl in Melbourne and she wants me to come there so I would like to check it out if possible.

I would like to see some Aboriginal Culture up close in a respectful setting. Is that possible with a day trip out of Sydney?

Thanks for the tips Trimac I'm going to research all of that information you dropped on me...

Does anyone of any suggestions for can't miss nightlife in Sydney and Melbourne to check out?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,368,462 times
By the OP's post, Gold Coast would seem more ideal than Melbourne. Beach, Surfing, Diving, Water-sports, Bars, Clubs etc, it would be a nice contrast to Sydney where Melbourne isn't the same as Sydney, but it is somewhat similar.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:50 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,685,418 times
Forget Melbourne. If you are seeing one big city (the biggest and best) I agree you should contrast that with some time in the beach region of the gold coast. Why visit two cities when you can visit the biggest city and then see some nature and enjoy the beach?
Melbourne's weather is constantly cold and raining and I can tell you the place is about 7 years behind Sydney.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:55 PM

Thanks guys...we are definitely looking for a contrast from Sydney for sure...which city on the Gold Coast would be the best for us to check out coming from Sydney that's accesible via train or cheap flight to check out for a nice weekend on the tail end of our trip?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:16 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,368,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Thanks guys...we are definitely looking for a contrast from Sydney for sure...which city on the Gold Coast would be the best for us to check out coming from Sydney that's accesible via train or cheap flight to check out for a nice weekend on the tail end of our trip?
You can fly to the Gold Coast, the airport code is OOL. From the airport you can take a taxi to Surfers Paradise. That's the part of the Gold Coast I'd recommend, especially if you aren't planning to rent a car. You will be in the heart of the action. You can walk to numerous restaurants, bars, clubs, beaches etc. I used to take surfing lessons from Surfers Paradise when I lived there. Always a good time!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:19 PM

Cool so I'm assuming either of these hotels would work? Gold Coast Resort Hotel | Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa | Gold Coast, Australia

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=372

We definitely want to be able to interact with some ladies on vacation or locals maybe from Brisbane. We don't wan't to be around a whole bunch of couples and honeymooners on vacation If you get my drift!

So I have A few questions to ask...

Which of the above hotels would better fit our lifestyle and how we are trying to hang out?

Is there alot of singles around?

How is the nightlife there in Surfers Paradise?

How much do flights costs normally from Sydney to OOL?

Do alot of locals from Brisbane and all over come down for the weekend to party there?

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 10-28-2009 at 06:54 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,594,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Cool so I'm assuming either of these hotels would work? Gold Coast Resort Hotel | Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa | Gold Coast, Australia

Sheraton Gold Coast Hotels: Sheraton Mirage Resort and Spa Gold Coast - Hotel Rooms at sheraton

We definitely want to be able to interact with some ladies on vacation or locals maybe from Brisbane. We don't wan't to be around a whole bunch of couples and honeymooners on vacation If you get my drift!

So I have A few questions to ask...

Which of the above hotels would better fit our lifestyle and how we are trying to hang out?

Is there alot of singles around?

How is the nightlife there in Surfers Paradise?

How much do flights costs normally from Sydney to OOL?

Do alot of locals from Brisbane and all over come down for the weekend to party there?
From my experience and I'm sure others have different experiences, Surfers Paradise was a dud.

The first time I went to Surfers Paradise a few years ago I was a 27 year old single male looking for some action and mostly all I found was Japanese tourists running around with video cameras filming everything.

Surfers to me is a smaller scale version of Orlando and Las Vegas. If you love both of those places then Surfers is for you.

True there were some singles and backpackers around but they were drowned out by all the older folks and tourists. So personally it was a week wasted for me.

I found the Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane much nicer and better.

However if you are looking for nightlife and especially hot chicks, Queenstown New Zealand is the ticket. New Zealand is considered "safer" and easier to get around so that's where all the hot Swedish and Danish backpacker gals go. Queenstown has more adventure oriented activities than "theme park" type setups and there are no shortage of women.

Still being single and a few years older, if I am looking to have a great time, then Queenstown is where I go.

I've traveled all over Australia and to almost every town in New Zealand(large and small) and that is my pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand