Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 01:19 AM

387 posts, read 870,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Over all a interesting perspective seems like you can see pros and cons, I could have almost posted that!

I noticed a wage increase moving from NZ to Aus but a higher cost of living comes close to wiping out that wage advantage. I have noticed a lot of beggars around Milton here in Bris, but I suspect that topic could be situation depending on ones movement patterns. I think NZ being smaller has a bit more of a one country community feel where Aus feels somewhat fragmented.
Regarding buying a home - Australia has stamp duty and capital gains tax. One can make more money buying and selling homes in NZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 02:29 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
Regarding buying a home - Australia has stamp duty and capital gains tax. One can make more money buying and selling homes in NZ
That is very true.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
A few factors went into that decision.

First: The Politics and International Relations department at ANU has been blowing up spectacularly since March. Incompetence and malevolence seem to be endemic from the department up to the ineffectual Vice-Chancellor. ANU's Politics departments was among the best in the world.

Second: My perfect-match supervisor works in Auckland.

Third: My money will go much further in Auckland. By taking a few tutor/research assistant positions, I will effectively self fund (tuition+some living dollars). It's much easier to find NZ$6,000 than AU$25,000, the latter of which is extortionate given the resources consumed by a research student.

None of those considerations are in order of precedence, they all weigh on the mind equally at day's end.
Urgh, I know what you mean about the first one.

Getting the right supervisor makes such a big difference they're like gold, grab a good one whenever and wherever you can .

Old 10-13-2014, 11:29 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
The beggers in Auckland are almost entirely foreign tourists.
I don't think so.

I should also clarify "beggar". I used the word as short-hand for "visibly/seemingly homeless". Only about half of these actually are begging at a given time.

Caucasians are in the distinct minority, and tend to be older men who I don't see in the same spot day after day. A number are visibly mentally ill. I get a strong "wandering tramp" vibe from them.

Ethnic pacific islanders are by far the majority. Some are young, but most appear to be middle aged. Men seem constitute more of the active beggars. The women you'll see curled up trying to be inconspicuous and out of the way, generally speaking.

A visible but small minority are what seem to be the modern version of the dickensian "street urchin". Young (15-20), boisterous, and down on their luck. Their speech/mannerisms tend to be a dead give-away for a life lived rough.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:53 PM

50 posts, read 108,085 times
Australia is bigger and New Zealand is smaller.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:37 AM

Good reply, that about sums it up

Old 10-22-2014, 04:09 AM

59 posts, read 82,934 times
Population of New Zealand is nearing 4.5 million - about the same size as Sydney which is about 4.2 million.The Australian pop is 21 million.

The indigenous population in Australia is Melanesian, while New Zealand Maori are Polynesian.

Australia is huge with long distances between places.Their countryside has much less variety than New Zealand. There are attractive areas, but the scenery in New Zealand is much more varied and beautiful.

Many of the immigrants in Australia were originally from Italy, Lebanon, Greece, and more recently Vietnam and other parts of Asia.These days they are getting a lot more Middle Eastern and African etc.Although it really does depend where you live.

New Zealand immigrants are more from the Pacific Islands, with only small pockets from Italy, Dalmatia, etc.Our main immigrants these days are from Asia - Korea, Taiwan, China, Japan, etc, South Africa.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:45 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
I wonder if there are more white south africans who fled the "new rainbow nation" in Australia or New Zealand ?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:55 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I wonder if there are more white south africans who fled the "new rainbow nation" in Australia or New Zealand ?
C'est notre propre version française du Parti du Thé! Les noirs vous font peur?

Old 10-22-2014, 01:00 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshpulihora View Post
Australia is huge with long distances between places.Their countryside has much less variety than New Zealand. There are attractive areas, but the scenery in New Zealand is much more varied and beautiful.
Beauty? That's totally subjective, but NZ is pretty small in comparison and has nowhere near the climatic and geographic variation and diversity that Australia has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand