Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:41 PM

790 posts, read 1,728,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
What is "whinging"? I see that word a lot on this forum. I first I thought it was a common misspelling of "whining" but now I'm wondering if it's Australian/Kiwi slang for something else?
Both are legitimate words. They tend to have a similar meaning but have a different origin in the english language. Whining is actually meant in regard to the sound of someone complaining while whinging is the context behind someone complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:19 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,942,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Well any immigrant that lands in jail should find a knowledge of Reo useful. Maoris make up a whopping 50% of male inmates and 70% of female inmates. What is shocking is they only constitute 15% of the population. Instead of whinging about immigrants one should channel that energy finding solutions to the problem of why maoris make up such a large percentage of the prison population and have lower incomes than pakehas (20% less).

Also, people should understand that NZ needs immigrants. Without it, its population would decline and there would be no workers to support social services. This would cause inflationary pressures on wages in a country with wages that are already much lower than Oz. This would encourage even increased migration to Australia and NZ companies would be begging for immigrants.
I have a friend that tried to emigrate to NZ but was told he was too old at 50 years old. He has a sizable savings and a good skill but they did not seem interested in him. So he gave up.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,700,727 times
The NZ government is still trying to appease the maori and in turn ruining the country. Political correctness gone absolutely crazy. To force people to speak an obsolete language in this modern world is just utter stupidity.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:35 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,150,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I have a friend that tried to emigrate to NZ but was told he was too old at 50 years old. He has a sizable savings and a good skill but they did not seem interested in him. So he gave up.
To be blunt, unless he has a skill that is in very high demand why would we want a person we are only going to get fifteen years work from.
Sizable savings, 10 million will get you in at any age

Old 11-13-2009, 12:02 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,338,635 times
Maori is a official language in NZ along with English so we have no right to blast them for that.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:05 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,139,375 times
law like that works on legal immigration.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:11 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,942,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
To be blunt, unless he has a skill that is in very high demand why would we want a person we are only going to get fifteen years work from.
I do have to applaud NZ for having such a strict policy on immigration. It does produce the best citizens. Here in California, anyone that can crawl across the border can take advantage of all the state has.

Now that is 10 million NZ dollars? I will have to check my bank account!

Old 11-13-2009, 03:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,718,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Just because someone has money, doesn't mean they are going to spend it. Most weathy people got there by being as tight as a fish's proverbial, and maybe a little good luck along the way.
All it means is that they are self-sufficient, and can live off their investments and rent from other houses etc.
Of course, I know you are being facetious.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:21 PM

790 posts, read 1,728,125 times
Quote:
Just because someone has money, doesn't mean they are going to spend it. Most weathy people got there by being as tight as a fish's proverbial, and maybe a little good luck along the way.
if they don't spend it, it sits in the bank and the bank spends it. Either is good.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:44 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,950,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The NZ government is still trying to appease the maori and in turn ruining the country. Political correctness gone absolutely crazy. To force people to speak an obsolete language in this modern world is just utter stupidity.
True. That would be a bonehead move and fortunately they are not making this mistake. This would halt immigration TO New Zealand at a time when NZ NEEDS immigrants to keep up its population numbers up as record numbers of kiwis LEAVE NZ, mostly to Australia. Anyone doing a google for "kiwis leaving new zealand" will find many articles on the outflow. The last figure I saw was 35,000+ left in 2008 alone. In 2008 NZ had a gain of 3,800 in population thanks to immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand