Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:48 AM

15 posts, read 41,688 times

Advertisements

OK, so I'm considering moving to Australia in about 12-18 months time (economy permitting, of course). I'm planning on visiting the country in the meantime to decide if it's really such a good idea (NZ was originally my first choice because I prefer cooler weather, but after reading about the poor housing and dodgy plate-rinsing habits, I'm no longer so sure! lol). I've worked with 100s of Aussies/Kiwis so I know what to expect from the people to some extent.

However, regarding public transport, which city would have the best/most usable public transport?

I've lived or worked in London for nearly a third of my life (I'm in my early 40s now), and although often uncomfortable and ridiculously expensive, London's transport is still a much better alternative to a car.
I currently live in a city of 1/2 million with virtually unusable and even more overpriced public transport.

If I could live anywhere in the world, it would be Hong Kong (for many reasons, including public transport) but due to what I do for a living, there's absolutely no chance of that, whereas my profession seems to be in continual demand in Australasia.

I don't particularly like having to own a car to get to work, and if I were to move to that side of the globe, I would much rather live somewhere I don't need a car. And this is very likely to influence my decision.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,798,724 times
There have been plenty of posts on this topic.

In terms of coverage:

1. Melbourne
2. Sydney
3. Brisbane
4. Adelaide
5. Perth
6. Canberra
7. Hobart
8. Darwin

In terms of service/useability:

1. Brisbane
2. Perth
3. Melbourne
4. Sydney
5. Adelaide

not sure about the others

It's possible to live in any of the major capitals without a car if you live in the inner city or along transport routes.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,947,059 times
This was covered in this thread:

pedestrian friendly and public transportation

Old 11-30-2009, 01:28 PM

Is this from a study online or your opinion? I'm curious about Brissy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There have been plenty of posts on this topic.

In terms of coverage:

1. Melbourne
2. Sydney
3. Brisbane
4. Adelaide
5. Perth
6. Canberra
7. Hobart
8. Darwin

In terms of service/useability:

1. Brisbane
2. Perth
3. Melbourne
4. Sydney
5. Adelaide

not sure about the others

It's possible to live in any of the major capitals without a car if you live in the inner city or along transport routes.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,798,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Is this from a study online or your opinion? I'm curious about Brissy.
You're right it's a biased opinion. To tell the truth I haven't even been to Darwin so I guess I shouldn't have even mentioned it!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,717,269 times
If you want to talk "cities", you cannot ignore the Gold Coast Qld, or Newcastle NSW.
These are not capitals, but both have in excess of 1/2 million people (more than the whole of Tasmania), have univeristies, and are the 6th and 7th largest cities in Australia respectively, both with populations and economies growing at a powerhouse rate.
Newcastle is Australias largest coal export port, and only getting bigger.
I cannot talk for the Gold Coast, and only buses operate there.
I suspect it would be very difficult to live there relying on public transport as your main source of transport.
The Gold Coast I might add now has a very large Kiwi expatriot population, as well as Asians.
Newcastle has a good train system, as well as state government buses.
I live on the western periphery, and would be very difficult to live here without a car.
The University is close to a rail station however, and the city itself is at the end of the rail line. Buses run to the major shopping centres which are in the suburbs - the city itself has died as a shopping centre precinct - and is in the process of being revamped.
The rail links to Sydney daily, but to far to commute to there, the Central Coast and Wollongong however are close enough to commute and are other options.
Sydney itself has a fantastic train line system- provided you live on the train line! Sydneysiders often whinge about trains not running on time however.
The inner-city and lower north shore are particularly well serviced, if you are happy to live in an inner city enviroment.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You're right it's a biased opinion. To tell the truth I haven't even been to Darwin so I guess I shouldn't have even mentioned it!
No worries. Darwin has a system of buses. But I had a hire car, thankfully.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:41 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,874,861 times
Melbourne's PT is super crap. Trains are about as reliable as a Yugo and they are cancelled every time there is a bit of heat, rain and lightning. After all, the infrastructure predates the dinosaurs themselves.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:30 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,912,866 times
Whats a Yugo? I was only thinking of the trams. 'Cos, I would not live nowhere but the inner-city. In any city. Syd trains do odd things when it rains, too. But then, so do the drivers.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,717,269 times
Yugo is shorts for Yugoslavian.
Not an offensive shortening, but not particularly endearing either.
This group are not well represented outside of Melbourne or Sydney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand