U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:23 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,323,398 times

Advertisements

Brisbane. Better climate, bigger, closer to everything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,728,323 times
In the CBDs, Brisbane has more of its heritage buildings undemolished. Brisbane's CBD has more trees. I think Brisbane's river is better looking- more shade along the footpaths.

Perth has Fremantle, one of my favourite places.

When I am in Perth, I feel like I'm at the end of the world. Perth has a chip on its shoulder because it isn't over east.

Brisbane is only an hours flight away. I prefer Brisbane.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,728,323 times
Forgot say:
The Worst of Perth

Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 AM

10,791 posts, read 8,137,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
In the CBDs, Brisbane has more of its heritage buildings undemolished. Brisbane's CBD has more trees. I think Brisbane's river is better looking- more shade along the footpaths. .
Never mind trees, does Brissie's CBD have more people in it after office hours? Perth's is like a ghost town. A few pockets of life here and there but overall, deadsville. They built our Convention Centre down there. In the middle of this bleak deadsville. Grotesquely hideous building too.

Yes, shade is nice. Most of our riverfront is bereft of trees or shade. So much sun, nowhere to escape from it, other than inside a building, if it's open. Rather stark and bleak.

Quote:
Perth has Fremantle, one of my favourite places.
Yes, mine too. Good places to eat. Nice to hang around on the weekend due to its street life.

Quote:
When I am in Perth, I feel like I'm at the end of the world. Perth has a chip on its shoulder because it isn't over east.
Coz it is at the end of the world. There's nothing after Perth for a long, long way. 9 hours by plane is Africa.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:28 AM

24,682 posts, read 50,941,401 times
[quote=Vichel;11951372]Never mind trees, does Brissie's CBD have more people in it after office hours? Perth's is like a ghost town. A few pockets of life here and there but overall, deadsville. They built our Convention Centre down there. In the middle of this bleak deadsville. Grotesquely hideous building too.

quote]

Perth is actually changing in that regard: not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though, since most of those who hang out around the malls and around the train station seem to be teenage gangs.

Brisbane is still better in that regard. At least more activity in the city after dark because of good planning decisions like Southbank. In that respect Perth is a good 15 years behind the City of Sun-days.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:44 AM

9,594 posts, read 25,868,314 times
Does Brisbane have more "deadly" wildlife?
It also sounds like Brisbane has a higher insect count, year-round than Perth. Is that true?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 AM

1,503 posts, read 2,420,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Does Brisbane have more "deadly" wildlife?
It also sounds like Brisbane has a higher insect count, year-round than Perth. Is that true?
Insects, particularly the biting variety - such as mozzies and sandflies, can totoally render a place unliveable.
It's not until you've lived in a place that has them, do you realise how an "outdoors" lifestyle, soon becomes indoors.
There are also genuine health hazzards with mosquitoes, such as Ross River virus.
Flies on the other hand, are just a nuisance, despite their disgusting habits, like for instance- their affinity for dog$#&^.
I have never heard of any fly-borne diseases, although one would suspect they could cause food-borne illness.
I don't think they are a big problem in either city, so as to be a mitigating factor of living there.
There is no deadly wildlife as such in Australia.
Also it seems a shame if Perth is genuinelya ghost town on Sundays, as it is arguably the most attractive water way in Oz, much nicer colour than Brisbane.

Last edited by Derek40; 12-09-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,868,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Insects, particularly the biting variety - such as mozzies and sandflies, can totoally render a place unliveable.
It's not until you've lived in a place that has them, do you realise how an "outdoors" lifestyle, soon becomes indoors.
There are also genuine health hazzards with mosquitoes, such as Ross River virus.
Flies on the other hand, are just a nuisance, despite their disgusting habits, like for instance- their affinity for dog$#&^.
I have never heard of any fly-borne diseases, although one would suspect they could cause food-borne illness.
I don't think they are a big problem in either city, so as to be a mitigating factor of living there.
Also it seems a shame if Perth is genuinelya ghost town on Sundays, as it is arguably the most attractive water way in Oz, much nicer colour than Brisbane.
Interesting response.
Myself, I don't mind "bities" as much as I mind very-cold weather; as long they're not a serious health hazard.

I thought there were at least deadly-spiders in most parts of Oz.
(aren't cane-toads also a problem in Brisbane?)

Old 12-09-2009, 05:49 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,941,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I think CC is talking about snakes, spiders, jellyfish - that kind of thing. There's nowhere in Australia that is free of them. Brisbane and Perth have many venomous things that can potentially kill you.

Perth is not a ghost town on Sunday's, more so at night. If anything, Sunday is the busiest day for shopping in the city.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,137,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think CC is talking about snakes, spiders, jellyfish - that kind of thing. There's nowhere in Australia that is free of them. Brisbane and Perth have many venomous things that can potentially kill you..
Yeah, the ones with two legs, when they're full of drink, or when they're on four-wheels and especially with a V8 engine. Greater danger from them than the traditional venomous creepy crawlies, of which there aren't that many in the city or most of the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Perth is not a ghost town on Sunday's, more so at night. If anything, Sunday is the busiest day for shopping in the city.
But pretty much isolated to the few blocks of shopping. The shops close and then there's little to bring people in to the CBD area. You go to St. Georges Tce and south towards the river and there's even less. Closed up office buildings and that ugly Convention Centre. Around the Barrack St. Pier it gets a few more people but that's cut off from the rest of the "livelier" areas of the CBD. Then there's Perth Great Big Front Lawn along the river. Boring. They should look to little old Geelong and their Eastern Beaches for ideas. More life there any time of day throughout the year than on our riverfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand