Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 PM

58 posts, read 157,086 times

Advertisements

Quick question about a working visa.
I have started to do some research on the process of obtaining a work visa because it seems you will not be considered for a position if you do not already have a work visa. Makes sense I guess. I also started to get the impression that if you were under 30, your chances are better for receiving one. Unfortunate, if true, for I am not under thirty. Not terribly far past it but lets just say I missed it by thhhhhhhhhat much.
Curious to know if that is true.
I do not have a problem with the financial or processing side of obtaining one just wondering if working on the contact first is likely.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Default If what I saw was correct...

The only Visa you miss by being 31 or older is the "Working Holiday Visa."
For all other Visas that go by the "Points Test" you lose 5 points every 5 years past 29. (30-34, 35-39, 40-44)
By the time you reach 45, you might not be able to get a Visa unless you are either a business owner or retiree.
Hope that helps.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:03 AM

Yes, thank you.
I now know the clock is ticking a little quicker, so to speak.
I am looking at three different areas/countries. It will be interesting to find out if the same holds true for visas there as well.
Thanks again.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:42 AM

16 posts, read 58,258 times
Me and my SO are both 30+ and have got out Work visas recently. If you have a valid job offer,
it should not be a problem.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 AM

That's the next adventure . I don't believe employment agencies, by law, can due anything with/for me without residency. That's all fine and fair it just makes my searching a little more involved.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 PM

8 posts, read 17,523 times
I am also thinking of obtaining a visa
but for study not work

Old 02-18-2010, 04:55 PM

501 posts, read 1,191,418 times
So if I understand correctly, since I'm 49, I wouldnt be able to get a visa unless I'm a business owner or a retiree? I want to accompany my husband, who is 46, to Australia and WORK, not sit around the house as a retiree. I don't believe we would be able to make it there based on his income. He's a flight attendant with a US Based airline, who works for a company which is in the process of doing a work exchange program with Australia with their sister company.

Please help!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
So if I understand correctly, since I'm 49, I wouldnt be able to get a visa unless I'm a business owner or a retiree? I want to accompany my husband, who is 46, to Australia and WORK, not sit around the house as a retiree. I don't believe we would be able to make it there based on his income. He's a flight attendant with a US Based airline, who works for a company which is in the process of doing a work exchange program with Australia with their sister company.

Please help!
You can send enquiries to the immigration department via email.
Someone there will be happy to answer your question... though it may take several days for a response.
Contact Us - Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand