Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:29 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post

The biggest mystery for me is why the opposition is not leveraging this in their campaigning?
I don't think they believe it is that big a deal.
They were very slow to show their hand on the filter.

But Mr Abbott thinks just upgrading your wirelss router will voila! give you faster speeds.

On the whole it's not the biggest deal. However, start censoring us and god knows what is next.

I don't want to see social change censored because of what one person might think is morally right or wrong.

On these grounds I can not and will not be voting labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 07:33 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Thought this would be a good place to try posting an official music video of of VEVO for folks Down Under.
I think our Melbournian-weather-buff would love it, but it's a fun, silly video that I think most of you would also enjoy.

YouTube - Toby Keith - Trailerhood

Old 09-26-2010, 06:41 PM

58 posts, read 99,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I have sent links to several e-friends living in Australia,
and a guy from Melbourne said he was able to watch them.
I think in Perth they weren't accessible. (domain/region does not allow viewing of "Vevo" videos? )

Tell me if you can see this.

YouTube - Toby Keith - I Wanna Talk About Me
We can access Vevo pages but not the content due to rights restrictions Apparently Vevo is working on making content available worldwide.

Can also access some vevo clips through youtube eg type youtube.com/ followed by the name of the artist and vevo and you'll get access to their vid library.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaVep View Post
We can access Vevo pages but not the content due to rights restrictions Apparently Vevo is working on making content available worldwide.

Can also access some vevo clips through youtube eg type youtube.com/ followed by the name of the artist and vevo and you'll get access to their vid library.
Are you able towatch the "Trailerhood" video from vevo, which I posted on City Data?
Last one I sent a few weeks back "I Wanna Talk About Me" worked for Vichel over in Perth.

It's sorta unrelated to Oz's filter,
but I thought if you can see it, it'd be great for a laugh.
If you cannot see the official video, here is the song without the video;
almost half as funny and still entertaining.
The first time I heard it was on the radio anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXHZhQAmXt8

A lot of websites are only supposed to be accessed by users in certain domains.
There's an Aussie website which has free Mcleod's Daughters, season 7
but I cannot access it from Canada.
Forgot the exact message they gave me to explain.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Are you able towatch the "Trailerhood" video from vevo, which I posted on City Data?
Last one I sent a few weeks back "I Wanna Talk About Me" worked for Vichel over in Perth.
Oops ColdCanadian, yes I am able to see it. Laff I like the tornado scenes, poor guy loses his only chomper!

On another note, I really do hope we've heard the end of the mandatory internet filtering debate. Conroy doesn't want to let it die with dignity, if that's even possible, but without the numbers in parliament or coalition backing, they can't do anything. I still shake my head in disbelief at how they tried to push through something so universally repudiated by not only techs, academia and government but family groups themselves. I'm interested if this has tarnished Australia's image in the eyes of the world?

Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
I could see it when imbedded in Youtube. But when I went to this Vevo thing I got some message about it not being available in my country. I just tried Vevo here in San Diego and no problem.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I could see it when imbedded in Youtube. But when I went to this Vevo thing I got some message about it not being available in my country. I just tried Vevo here in San Diego and no problem.
You are in San Diego, not Perth? Well of course it would work there!

Anyways, to other members, you can give the song a listen that I posted in my second last post.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaVep View Post
Oops ColdCanadian, yes I am able to see it. Laff I like the tornado scenes, poor guy loses his only chomper!

On another note, I really do hope we've heard the end of the mandatory internet filtering debate. Conroy doesn't want to let it die with dignity, if that's even possible, but without the numbers in parliament or coalition backing, they can't do anything. I still shake my head in disbelief at how they tried to push through something so universally repudiated by not only techs, academia and government but family groups themselves. I'm interested if this has tarnished Australia's image in the eyes of the world?
Without getting too descriptive (spoiling in case someone sees the video later)
I liked the stapler, the sandwich, the beer can, the chain, the reporter, guys on the couch and of course, the blouse and bra.

Honestly I'm not expecting much from Australia. Can't say I'm surprised. Does that bother you?
We seldom hear about anything in Australia on the news, aside from natural disasters and that tennis match in Melbourne.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
Honestly I'm not expecting much from Australia. Can't say I'm surprised. Does that bother you?
We seldom hear about anything in Australia on the news, aside from natural disasters and that tennis match in Melbourne.
I think because we hear a lot about other countries and their issues, especially the US and its politics, many Australians reckon other countries hear about Oz frequently. But like you said, it's not even a blip on the radar in other countries unless something rather spectacular happens. The Victorian bushfires was one such event that was in the news overseas. I've been asked about that here in San Diego. I've also been asked how's our PM Kevin Rudd doing these days

But then they've got enough on their minds here, with the economy, taxes and unemployment, so I don't blame them.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I think because we hear a lot about other countries and their issues, especially the US and its politics, many Australians reckon other countries hear about Oz frequently. But like you said, it's not even a blip on the radar in other countries unless something rather spectacular happens. The Victorian bushfires was one such event that was in the news overseas. I've been asked about that here in San Diego. I've also been asked how's our PM Kevin Rudd doing these days

But then they've got enough on their minds here, with the economy, taxes and unemployment, so I don't blame them.
Yes that's true Vichel. America is very inwardly focussed, however it did surprise me recently that some of my online friends from the US knew about the proposed filter.

I don't actually think that many Australians would think other countries hear about what's making news over here. It's kind of a given that they don't, because of our population size, geographic location and limited influence in the world's political arena. I find it interesting how we are much more outward looking than other countries. A good thing I think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand