Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:46 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times

Advertisements

Its cold and snowy and every time I look out the window I realize that this is my first Chrissie back in North America in years. While I've been wanting snow.. I forgot that it can come with COLD days.

I'm wondering.. what do I miss about Christmas in Oz?
I miss:
1. The sun and the sea (to quote that horrible song)!
2. Jumping in the ocean on Christmas day with mates before we headed off to meet family.
3. Meeting up with my mates again on Boxing day for a barbie and a slab.
4. Pavlova! Dunno why.. I just do. Always had to have it on Chrissie.
5. The sound and the site of colorful birds. Okay this is not a Christmas thing, but its something I miss about Oz on a daily basis.
6. Hearing my visiting sisters say "I can't believe its December and that its warm and we are at the beach"

I don't miss..
1. The flies that buzz around the Boxing day barbie
2. Having to watch out for roos driving home in the dark after the Boxing day barbie.
3. Wishing I had a snowy Christmas as I now have it!

Family aside, for those who have experienced Christmas away from Oz, what do/did you miss?
For those who plan to leave Oz, what do you think you will miss?

Hope everyone has a happy holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 05:23 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Its cold and snowy and every time I look out the window I realize that this is my first Chrissie back in North America in years. While I've been wanting snow.. I forgot that it can come with COLD days.

I miss:

2. Jumping in the ocean on Christmas day with mates before we headed off to meet family.
You can still do that here.
Haven't you heard of "Polar Bear clubs?"

Maybe they first started in northern Europe, but I've seen many in North America. This is usually a huge event where dozens of people all get together and run into a large body of water, preferably when there's snow on the ground. Sometimes they'll even saw a hole through the ice on a lake for people to jump in. Some them swim in their clothes, others don their favorite beachwear. To have successful (and safe ) Polar Bear swim, there are people waiting for them at the beach with towels and warm clothes to change into immediately after they get out.

*I've never personally been to one, but I see them on the telly all the time.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:06 PM

279 posts, read 673,832 times
My mom's cooking....

Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
Two years ago, we had a wonderful Xmas not far from where you are now mini, in North Conway, NH. Sking around Bretton Woods, taking a sleigh ride (all very Dr Zhivago), tubing down a snowy hill....'twas wonderful. We never even thought about Oz, (except dreading going back there.) We hope to repeat that experience next Xmas. We're spending this one biding our time.

The only other Xmas I've spent outside Convictland was in England. You want depressing? That was it. What I missed most then was the sunnier climes of southern Europe, rather than Oz. Quelle surprise.

And when we leave oz, what will I miss? Er.....I'll get back to you. Hm.

Minx, your Xmas is pretty much perfect in that Wonderland of yours, enjoy!

Old 12-24-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

I miss:
1. The sun and the sea (to quote that horrible song)!
3. Meeting up with my mates again on Boxing day for a barbie and a slab.

A slab? As in, concrete???

Old 12-24-2009, 03:24 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
The only other Xmas I've spent outside Convictland was in England. You want depressing? That was it. What I missed most then was the sunnier climes of southern Europe, rather than Oz. Quelle surprise.
I've spent 2 Xmas' visiting family in Cambridge, England.. I agree that was depressing. Cold, damp, no snow and dark way early. I'll take winter in New Hampshire any day. And I'd take December in Radelaide over December in NH. Though i could probably bear Christmas here if a certain Adelaidian comes visits me next year over the holidays!

Last edited by minibrings; 12-24-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 12-24-2009, 04:04 PM

Yanno mini, once you've had a few 42C xmases in a row, the novelty wears off a tad. Its been more mild recently, but as a kid...oh man. Misery time.
Which dealaidean is visiting you??

Old 12-24-2009, 06:14 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Quote:
A slab? As in, concrete???
no, the good kind of slab.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Quote:
Yanno mini, once you've had a few 42C xmases in a row, the novelty wears off a tad. Its been more mild recently, but as a kid...oh man. Misery time.
Which dealaidean is visiting you??
Same can be said about cold overcast grey misery. As has been the case here last 6-7 consequtive Christmases.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:09 AM

20 posts, read 44,019 times
Boxing Day test match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand