Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I've watched a report on tv on Maori biker gangs in Auckland, I'm sorry but these people look terrible, some are holding hate speeches against the other Neo Zelanders, and when they start doing their dances and twisting their faces (so called "greetings"),they are hideous, they give a reallly bad name to the Maoris on the whole.
Oh, you mean like this, yep terrible is it not.
One of the better NZ schools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgTrUv7s0oM

Might I suggest if you are ever in NZ you stay away from any boys or coed school, might be a bit much for your sensibilities if they drop into the school haka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:56 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I've watched a report on tv on Maori biker gangs in Auckland, I'm sorry but these people look terrible, some are holding hate speeches against the other Neo Zelanders, and when they start doing their dances and twisting their faces (so called "greetings"),they are hideous, they give a reallly bad name to the Maoris on the whole.
You mean the Haka? The ancient and traditional dance of the Maori performed for centuries and designed to intimidate one's enemy, welcome a visitor or celebrate an occasion? Haka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
AGAIN.. the OP has NOT RETURNED to this thread. He has not posted where he got his mis-information on VIOLENT Maoris and RACIST Muslims. Until he comes back and backs up his erroneous statements with concrete information, this thread should be left to die. Who knows, he could be a youngun just playing around with all of us!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:40 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,526 times
I remember an old movie from about 15 years ago or so, Once Were Warriors, that depicted a rather stark version of life among modern Maori. Was that film accurate at all, or was it a distorted perspective?

Old 01-09-2010, 06:54 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,981,485 times
Well I have worked with alot of muslims here in Australia. Most are ok and they are friendly, however there are a few among them that think Aussie women are cheap and are slutty because Aussie women like to wear bikinis and revealing clothes and some muslims find that offensive.

With the Maori I have had not problem with them here in Australia. Well some people of partly maori ansestory I met here look like a white person, and would not be out of place in places such as Ireland. I guess some areas of New Zealand Maori areas can be rough and dangerous.

Last edited by other99; 01-09-2010 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: change sentence

Old 01-09-2010, 08:39 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well I have worked with alot of muslims here in Australia. Most are ok and they are friendly, however there are a few among them that think Aussie women are cheap and are slutty because Aussie women like to wear bikinis and revealing clothes and some muslims find that offensive.

With the Maori I have had not problem with them here in Australia. Well some people of partly maori ansestory I met here look like a white person, and would not be out of place in places such as Ireland. I guess some areas of New Zealand Maori areas can be rough and dangerous.
There are good and bad in all... I've met white Christians in Australia who have said the same thing about women in bikinis!

If you look.. the OP has NOT returned to this thread. He started it based on NO links to media sources. I don't know if it came from a prejudiced perspective or if they are a young person trying to stir trouble. His/her premise is asinine.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 AM

15 posts, read 42,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I remember an old movie from about 15 years ago or so, Once Were Warriors, that depicted a rather stark version of life among modern Maori. Was that film accurate at all, or was it a distorted perspective?
That movie was very accurate in portrying a sector of Maori society. It caused shock to much of NZ as it was the first time this issue of domestic violence had really been talked about, but it does still exist today unfortunately. As the Haka had been mentioned on this thread I think it reflects the past aggressive nature of the Maori and I think slowly it is leaving the culture.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:52 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,526 times
It certainly was a stirring movie. Of course I would not expect that all Maori men were alcoholics that beat their wives. I thought it portrayed well the struggles of a people who, as the title suggests, once were warriors to adapt to a less aggressive society, and especially the struggles of men to find new ways to express that aggressiveness. Just wanted to get a more local perspective. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:27 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
AGAIN.. the OP has NOT RETURNED to this thread. He has not posted where he got his mis-information on VIOLENT Maoris and RACIST Muslims. Until he comes back and backs up his erroneous statements with concrete information, this thread should be left to die. Who knows, he could be a youngun just playing around with all of us!
It's obvious that the OP is a troll trying to start a ruckus. But the slightly shameful part is reading some of the responses from posters who've apparently been active on this site for a while and actually have some high reputation points. Sometimes I wonder if this site imports users from Stormfront.org.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand