Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I wish it wasn't much different in price. I would "prefer" not to bring much with me, buy clothes as needed and for "specific purposes" and it would be nice to help local businesses..
You can find good priced stuff here too. Just maybe not when you need them, i.e., during year-end inventory sales, Boxing Day sales, etc. I find it takes more effort, planning and waiting to save money. Everyone's different though, depends on what you're looking for. I prefer better quality but don't care for high-end labels, and definitely not logos. There's a lot of chintzy stuff available for cheap prices. I just don't like that stuff.

Quote:
Is it expensive to go there from Oz?
I'm hoping it would be cheaper to fly from Australia to Phillipines or Thailand than from Toronto...
but I wouldn't be surprised if there's no price difference in airfare.
Doesn't appear like they'd be a terrible-long flight.
Everything's a long flight from here. Especially Perth. Look up flightcentre dot com dot au for prices. They vary week to week depending on what promotion they're pushing. You can also check qantas. Oz isn't the place for travelers, not even local travel. One of the main reasons we're leaving. Love roadtrips but not here. Love flying, but not when it involves the torturously long flights and prices from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
You can find good priced stuff here too. Just maybe not when you need them, i.e., during year-end inventory sales, Boxing Day sales, etc. I find it takes more effort, planning and waiting to save money. Everyone's different though, depends on what you're looking for. I prefer better quality but don't care for high-end labels, and definitely not logos. There's a lot of chintzy stuff available for cheap prices. I just don't like that stuff.
That's a bit of good news.

I probably would not like some of the "generic" clothes too, at least for dressing up, as I am an unusual athletic shape;
my neck's circumference is about 56% of the waist's circumference. (dunno how sizes are measured in Oz )
Most men's generic dress shirts here call for a 44-46" chest and a 36-38" waist with a 16.5" neck size.
Worse, sometimes those shirts have the same waist measurement as chest.
I have room to be pregnant with twins in a shirt like that.
(a real pain in the butt, trying to tuck all that in)

Quote:
Everything's a long flight from here. Especially Perth. Look up flightcentre dot com dot au for prices. They vary week to week depending on what promotion they're pushing. You can also check qantas. Oz isn't the place for travelers, not even local travel. One of the main reasons we're leaving. Love roadtrips but not here. Love flying, but not when it involves the torturously long flights and prices from here.
The main reason I travel so much is the weather usually doesn't agree with what I want to do. I have no idea how long I could be satisfied staying within Australia (theoretically) but I would expect I would be happier there longer than I am in Canada. Any time I am searching for warmth on a holiday, I usually have to purchase foreign currency and bring my passport.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
The main reason I travel so much is the weather usually doesn't agree with what I want to do. I have no idea how long I could be satisfied staying within Australia (theoretically) but I would expect I would be happier there longer than I am in Canada. Any time I am searching for warmth on a holiday, I usually have to purchase foreign currency and bring my passport.
It'll probably be great for you since you won't have to travel far, or at all, to find warmth. And the whole point of your traveling won't be to find warmth, but to explore and see what's here, of which there's quite a bit. Oz is especially good for the adventurous who don't mind putting in the hard slog to go places and putting up with minimal amenities. Where there are good amenities, you'll pay quite a bit more than you'd expect for them. And there's a lot of the same scenery for a long, long way so you need time and patience. Our coastal scenery is amazing and not so tiresome to look at for me.

Avoid school holidays as prices go up and availability goes down. And if you want to do a lot of traveling, avoid Perth as a base.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
It'll probably be great for you since you won't have to travel far, or at all, to find warmth. And the whole point of your traveling won't be to find warmth, but to explore and see what's here, of which there's quite a bit. Oz is especially good for the adventurous who don't mind putting in the hard slog to go places and putting up with minimal amenities. Where there are good amenities, you'll pay quite a bit more than you'd expect for them. And there's a lot of the same scenery for a long, long way so you need time and patience. Our coastal scenery is amazing and not so tiresome to look at for me.

Avoid school holidays as prices go up and availability goes down. And if you want to do a lot of traveling, avoid Perth as a base.
I enjoy seeing new places, but often that's just a "perk" to the holiday, not the specific purpose.

At some point in time, I will want to at least pass through Perth.
I find the Indian Ocean coastline Australia's most impressive.
(for wave quality and what's under the sea )

Old 03-25-2010, 01:29 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,755 times
Personally the missus and I are hanging out for an extended Aussie Road trip. As Vichel says there is plenty to see here and lots of contrasting features.

I do a lot of landscape photography and am going through a panoramic image phase at the mo

I am even tempted to visit Tasmania - obviously not for the climate, but more the scenery. Plus a long road trip up the WA coastline, and another along the top part

Completely off subject, just the last few comments have got me hungry for a road trip......(pity I have minimal leave at the moment )

Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Personally the missus and I are hanging out for an extended Aussie Road trip. As Vichel says there is plenty to see here and lots of contrasting features.

I do a lot of landscape photography and am going through a panoramic image phase at the mo

I am even tempted to visit Tasmania - obviously not for the climate, but more the scenery. Plus a long road trip up the WA coastline, and another along the top part

Completely off subject, just the last few comments have got me hungry for a road trip......(pity I have minimal leave at the moment )
Summer's a better time to visit Tassie though, isn't it?
(wouldn't summer be over in TAS?)

Aussie Scenery?
Walpole WA is probably very nice.
"Morialta Conservation Park": http://eneabba.net/Oz/Adelaide-10.htm

Old 03-25-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Aussie Scenery?
Walpole WA is probably very nice.
Yes, Walpole, Pemberton, Denmark, Albany, Esperance, etc. - the whole southern coastal area is, imo, very lovely. A big part of the appeal for me is that it's so unspoiled. I know I whinge about lack of amenities here for the road traveler, but at the same time, there's something almost magical about driving up to some windblown bit of south coast, right onto the beach sometimes, and being the only one there. Or at most, one car out of six for as far as the eye can see.

The whole white sand, aqua water thing is very nice, but I do like more dramatic ocean and coastal scenery too - rocks, wind and huge waves.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:05 PM

Walpole is one of the places I saw where you can walk through the tree-tops on suspension bridges.
looks like rainforest there from the pics I've seen; tree almost the size of "redwoods", moss, misty air etc.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Walpole is one of the places I saw where you can walk through the tree-tops on suspension bridges.
looks like rainforest there from the pics I've seen; tree almost the size of "redwoods", moss, misty air etc.
Yes, we did that Tree Top Walk and went through the Valley of the Giants. Don't know if it's technically a rainforest but the trees are Red Tingles and Karri.

I find the lushness of that area very appealing. Not a fan of the dry bleak landscape everywhere else.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Quote:
Summer's a better time to visit Tassie though, isn't it?
If they had a summer .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand