Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times

Advertisements

another Melbourne posting

Weather? not as bad as people make out. Winters can be cold. Summers are fine - dry heat. Ranges from 25deg - 40.

Summer nights the temp can drop, but won't stop you from having a good time.
Previously use to rain quite a bit, last 5 or so years has been a steady decline with daily water restrictions in place. I still managed a nice little tan & healthy glow living there

Surfing? Some good beaches to surf, but need to drive out of the city. Bay beaches near by - easy to access, easy to bring kids. clean beaches.(although St Kilda is questionable!)

cost of living? expensive but more affordable than sydney.

lifestyle? Big food/coffee culture with interesting hidden laneways, - also great bars, transport is pretty easy to use, food can range from very expensive to good cheap food. Great areas such as St Kilda, Fitzroy, Carlton jsut outside of CBD. City has greatly improved over the past few years.
Sport is a massive part of the culture. Footy (AFL) is almost a religion. Good Arts culture as well. Live music very common - great entertainment venues (gee I miss The Forum, prince of wales etc)

economy? no issues

natural landscape? some spectacular sites but got to drive to them, 12 apostles, great ocean road, point nepean, dandenong ranges, wilson's prom etc

Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 PM

43 posts, read 90,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Melbourne

Weather? Cold and cloudy year round. Very dreary and overcast winters with uncomfortable windchills blasting straight of the southern ocean. Cold summers, with very occasional hot days. Even those few days of heat are ruined by frigid icyh seabreezes in the afternoons without fail. Summer nights are generally cold and not conductive to outdoor activities. Clear days are almost non existant at any time of the year.
LOL. Honestly dude. What's with you? But you're right though. Yeah the sun never shines here without fail, it never gets above 12 degrees and it's a 365day/year job to remove ice from your car windshield. It's constantly raining and the several metres of snow we get is just unbearable even during summer. I think it was maybe 1996 that I actually went outside to do something.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how anyone lives here.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,895,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean-Melbourne View Post
LOL. Honestly dude. What's with you? But you're right though. Yeah the sun never shines here without fail, it never gets above 12 degrees and it's a 365day/year job to remove ice from your car windshield. It's constantly raining and the several metres of snow we get is just unbearable even during summer. I think it was maybe 1996 that I actually went outside to do something.

Love your new status mate, really does suit you well. Remind reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Goerge Bush put that banner up on his house "2 bad neighbours" to get back at Homer, but everyone thought that George Bush was referring to himself and his wife

Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
another Melbourne posting

Weather? not as bad as people make out. Winters can be cold. Summers are fine - dry heat. Ranges from 25deg - 40.
From reading SAB's reports for the past year or so,
I thought the "normal" range for summer highs in Melbourne was 18-40 C.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-13-2010 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
normal range of Melbounre's summer highs are from 20-30C.....with most occuring from 20-25C

anything above 35C is rare and only occurs on 10 days per year on average

Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
normal range of Melbounre's summer highs are from 20-30C.....with most occuring from 20-25C

anything above 35C is rare and only occurs on 10 days per year on average
I just looked at recent observations for Jan 2010 in Melbourne.
At least most days this month have been 25+ C. Better than usual?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:03 PM

279 posts, read 673,635 times
I've lived in all these places and here are my thoughts (just my personal preferences and I'm sure many will disagree).

Perth....yea, ok I suppose but takes a whole day to fly from the west to the east, flying time plus time difference.

Adelaide....grew up here so I'm bias....love the slower pace, clean, but summers are too dry and hot. Winters are miserable, not pleasant.

Melbourne....about right for me, not overly crowded, love the culture, the atmosphere.

Sydney....It's a hell hole for me, hate the traffic, congestion, dirty, way too fast, I'm not really into beaches so they do nothing for me. Actually, there is nothing that does it for me in Sydney.

Brisbane.....again, ok I suppose....nice weather, not crowded, nice drives up north and down south.

Darwin....I like this place, small and peaceful, slow pace, might be humid but it's not scorching hot. Love the heavy downpours in warm weather, adds atmosphere.

If I had to pick out of these cities, Darwin would be my first followed by Melbourne.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
Ok I might have been too positive with starting at 25deg, you will get some days at 22/23 deg. but 18deg - not that common..

sheesh he's super negative on the weather.

But if the sometimes cooler summer climate is the worst thing about a city - it can't be that bad eh?!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I just looked at recent observations for Jan 2010 in Melbourne.
At least most days this month have been 25+ C. Better than usual?
so far, the month has been better than usual, but unfortunately, the forecast suggests nothing but cold - temps as cold as 20C forecast and really nothing above 25C, so it's all going to hell.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:01 PM

53 posts, read 108,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean-Melbourne View Post

I want to move to Melbourne for its weather. I come from Boston; it's not as cold as some Canadian cities, or as manic in temperature as some places in the Midwest, but it can still get cold here. In Melbourne though, it doesn't get cold. According to Wikipedia, the record low is -2.8C

It'll be nice to never have to wear anything more than a sweatshirt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.