U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM

59 posts, read 122,769 times

Advertisements

What is good and bad about these cities eh

Weather?

Surfing?

cost of living?

lifestyle?

economy?

natural landscape?
Rate this post positively

Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,687,057 times
Darwin: weather is usually 32 degrees C. Very humid in the wet season, but doesn't get as hot as down south. No surf. Rent and housing prices fairly high. I like the lifestyle- tropical. Some very good restaurants. Rather cosmopolitan for a small city. Near Asia. Economy- a lot of public service, fishing industry. Natural landscape- fairly flat, large tidal range, but 'nearby' Litchfield National Park, Howard Springs, Berry Springs. Lived there a year and would go back.

Perth- Hot in the summer- can get into the 40's. Cold and miserable in the winter. I'm glad I left. (PS for a good read, Google 'The Worst of Perth')

I'll leave the other cities to others to comment on. Sydney is good if you can live near the harbour.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 PM

656 posts, read 2,538,731 times

Darwin

For: Warm in winter, Country town feel, Kakadu, Economy
Against:Small, Hot and humid in Summer, Crocs Sharks & jellies

Perth
For: Beaches (Great Surf), Warm summers, Friendly, Economy
Against: Wet Winters, House Prices, Isolation, Shopping

Brisbane
For: Warm Winters, Good Beaches far North/South, Economy
Against: Humid summers, Good Beaches TOO FAR North/South

Melbourne
For: Weather (4 seasons in a day), Culture, Shopping, Good Beaches FAR Away
Against: Weather (4 seasons in a day), Crowded, Good Beaches FAR Away

Adelaide
For: Slow Pace, Clean & Friendly, Hills, House prices
Against: Slow Pace, Its Adelaide

Sydney
For: Fast pace, Great Weather, Beaches & Surf, Shopping, Sydney Harbour Views
Against: Fast pace, Expensive, Traffic, Less friendly/More Pollution than other cities

Old 01-12-2010, 05:22 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,486,929 times
I'd also add weather to Adelaides' negatives. Scorching and dry in summer, cold damp and miserable in winter. At least Melbournes' vibrancy makes up for their 'interesting' weather. (Just MHO Sab!)

Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,211,622 times
I'd add gorgeous wine regions for Adelaide... easy proximity to the Barossa, Clare Valley and McClaren Vale.. all areas that produce some of Australia's best wines and tastings are all free (unless you are trying the more expensive bottles). It has also developed a reputation as a foodie centre. Both the NY Times and the Sydney Morning Herald had articles on the food scene.
A foodie's treasure - South Australia - Australia - Travel - smh.com.au
http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/travel/23next.html

I ate well and more importantly, worshipped Bacchus constantly!

Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,131,250 times
Melbourne has by far the worst climate out of all those.

Anyone who thinks "4 seasons in one day" is a positive thing has rocks in their head. How can enjoying warmth during the day, only have it turn to cold and rain in the afternoon with the daily cool changes be "good"?

And it never ceases to amaze me how much hotter Adelaide is in the summer. And Sydney, they get summer nights that actually are perfect for outdoor activities, while here you'll be rugging up like in July.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:52 PM

14,790 posts, read 15,025,844 times
Melbourne's weather is fine.
You just gotta understand it.

I was just down there for 2 weeks. No problems.
If anything, they need rain - and a fair bit of it in the right areas!

oh & sydney frequently has summer storms - last night a nice little storm flashed by. big downpour. thunder - not always great being out at night -

Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,131,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Melbourne's weather is fine.
No it isnt.

Quote:
You just gotta understand it.
I do understand it. I understand that it's CRAP most of the time.

Quote:
I was just down there for 2 weeks. No problems.
If anything, they need rain - and a fair bit of it in the right areas!
Enough days of rain and cloud as it is WE DONT NEED MORE

Quote:
oh & sydney frequently has summer storms - last night a nice little storm flashed by. big downpour. thunder - not always great being out at night -
But storms are awesome, and the overnight low temp in Sydney rarely drops below 20 in summer, even in rain. WHICH IS BEAUTIFUL.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:01 PM

43 posts, read 77,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post

LOL (Such A baby)The only thing you understand is how to cry, complain and be negative ALL the time. No wonder you're single. Melbourne's weather is just fine. Of course anyone who thinks we don't need anymore rain is just a fool. Victoria is as dry as a bone. Our dams are at only about 1/3 full atm.

Again you keep on talking about Adelaide's great summers... That's fine...Let me help you pack for your move there. There's no room in Melbourne for whiners like you.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:04 PM

14,790 posts, read 15,025,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
No it isnt.

But storms are awesome, and the overnight low temp in Sydney rarely drops below 20 in summer, even in rain. WHICH IS BEAUTIFUL.
so 37% full dams are enough for you?

Victoria is dry. Driving from Sydney to Melbourne you see a distinct change crossing the border.

Yeah, it was awesome last night with the storm, humidity & temp at 27deg. I had the best sleep ever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.