U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 PM

29,215 posts, read 52,043,545 times

Advertisements

OPPOSITION Leader Tony Abbott has declared Australia's relationship with Japan is too important to risk over whaling.

Mr Abbott yesterday said it was not Coalition policy to take Japan to the International Court to stop its annual whale hunt in the Southern Ocean

Whales not worth risking Japanese relations for, says Abbott | News.com.au
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 PM

14,780 posts, read 15,687,747 times
Abbott is an idiot.
he is a fill in leader until after the next election (which the liberals will lose). They will then put in Joe Hockey who has a much better grasp on issues.

Howard didn't do anything. Krudd is saying it's wrong but ultimately won't do anything either.

Oh & to the Japanese govt - you're not fooling anyone. It aint for science

Old 01-12-2010, 04:56 AM

10,791 posts, read 8,173,534 times
Maybe Howard didn't do anything, and Rudd is doing nothing because we can do ... nothing. I think most people would rather this slaughter didn't go on but I wonder if we have a legal leg to stand on when it comes to an International Court case on this?

I read comments and hear people go on about the Japanese whaling in "our waters" - but they're not our waters, from what I can gather. This whale sanctuary we've created is not recognised by most of the world - only four countries do. And I believe we don't "own" the sea around the Antarctic either, it's not the same as our 200 mile zone around our countries. There isn't enough clear information on this. Can't expect that from the media as they only bother with sensationalism, gossip and cricket/footie here.

Besides, where is our Prime Minister these days? Seems rather quiet. He was banging on about how he was going to haul the Japanese to court over this, back in the campaign days. The issue is now front and centre, and he's gone strangely quiet. I wonder if he's well as he's not usually so shy.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 AM

70 posts, read 165,242 times
I bet if there was a concerted coalition of many nations, or rather people from many nations that threatened a boycott of Japanese goods and tourism, they'd get the message real quick. Hit em where it hurts; their wallets.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:19 AM

656 posts, read 2,600,464 times
I'm really surprised Japan has stuck this out

Look I can see a point to some of their arguments
The West has No problem killing millions of baby lambs and cows every day
But start killing CUTE whales and the West really gets upset
(Mind you if we all started killing whales again there will be none left )

Anyhow my point is, research suggest that only 4% of the Japanese
population eat whale meat...and that's only occasionally!
Whaling: the meat of the matter | The Japan Times Online

Yet for the Whole country this is a public relations disaster!
When you think of Japan the first thing that comes to mind is whale killers.
I know of some some people who feel so stronger about this they Will Not buy Japanese

It effects the Whole Japanese Economy!

There will be a time when the Japanese government
finally realizes that its not just a case of whether you think your right or wrong.
Some one in Public relations will finally put 2+2 together and point out to them that its just not worth it

Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 AM

9,845 posts, read 21,182,047 times
I have no problem with the whale hunting in international waters. It's not like 150 years ago when whales were nearly hunted to extinction.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:40 AM

44,255 posts, read 59,459,657 times
The intelligence of whales and that of sheep is not even close.
Nor is the actual percentages of population who consume these products.
And it's not like the Japanese don't have beef or sheep products, too.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 PM

24,682 posts, read 51,417,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I have no problem with the whale hunting in international waters. It's not like 150 years ago when whales were nearly hunted to extinction.
While I find whaling really horrible in itself, I think my main concern is simply that some of these whale species they are hunting are seriously threatened. I think if the West had gone on hunting whales for even 15-20 years more, many great species like the Blue Whale or the Humpback would be now extinct. If the whale population was as huge as it was before whaling began and they did it sustainably, there may be a case, but given their status I don't think ANY whaling should be going on.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,173,534 times
I think the actions of the anti-whaling groups could backfire. I've heard eating whale meat isn't that popular in Japan. It doesn't seem very profitable. And we all know it's got little, if anything, to do with science. So why are the Japanese insisting on whaling? Who knows, and maybe there's not much sensible reasoning to it, just some mixed up national identity thing. But they're a very proud people and if they think they're being bullied, they just might dig their heels in and do the old "saving face" thing, and support for the continuation of their whaling could grow, even amongst those Japanese who don't care for whale meat. I think the pressure has to come from within Japan. It just might take time unfortunately.

As far as this "taking them to court" promise that seems like nothing more than an empty election promise (aka: lie), I think that Japan would probably have a far better chance of having the actions of the anti-whalers deemed to be illegal and criminal in some international court, than their whaling activities being deemed so. If the case was so clear-cut against Japanese whaling, then there would have been a court case already, I would think.

btw: Norway also hunts whales.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 PM

17,966 posts, read 24,583,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Maybe Howard didn't do anything, and Rudd is doing nothing because we can do ... nothing. I think most people would rather this slaughter didn't go on but I wonder if we have a legal leg to stand on when it comes to an International Court case on this?

I read comments and hear people go on about the Japanese whaling in "our waters" - but they're not our waters, from what I can gather. This whale sanctuary we've created is not recognised by most of the world - only four countries do. And I believe we don't "own" the sea around the Antarctic either, it's not the same as our 200 mile zone around our countries. There isn't enough clear information on this. Can't expect that from the media as they only bother with sensationalism, gossip and cricket/footie here.

Besides, where is our Prime Minister these days? Seems rather quiet. He was banging on about how he was going to haul the Japanese to court over this, back in the campaign days. The issue is now front and centre, and he's gone strangely quiet. I wonder if he's well as he's not usually so shy.
There's no leg to stand on. The Antarctic Treaty ended all claims to territory. Neither Australia nor any other country owns a square inch of Antarctica. And I don't foresee any serious attempts by anyone to create a country in Antarctica given its inhospitability.

Furthermore, the IWC (which regulates the taking of whales) takes part in issuing the permits for the Japanese to hunt the whales. Membership in the IWC is voluntary also and any country can withdraw and no longer be bound by their rules if they wanted to, though pro-whaling countries have not taken this approach lately.

Japan resorted to the "research" permits when the U.S. and some other countries threatened major sanctions after Japan lodged an objection to the ban on whaling like Norway did. Really an attempt to force one culture onto another. The minke whales they target are far from being endangered (overpopulated in fact as they outcompete whales that are truly endangered) so it's hardly anything to get anymore worried about than any other commercial fishing or hunting. There's more whales being taken by other countries (including Iceland and Norway) last time I saw the figures.

On top of this, by every legal definition, the anti-whaling groups (Sea Shepherd) are acting illegally, and meet the definitions of pirates and terrorists. Technically it's legal for any ship attacked by them, to destroy them at will. That they have not been killed yet speaks of some restraint on the part of those they attack. If this went to court, the anti-whaling groups would be hammered over this. While it may not be popular, what the Japanese are doing is entirely legal. What the anti-whaling groups is doing, is not. One group of terrorists and pirates can't be given approval by the law.

So, to sum things up: legally speaking, the anti-whaling forces have no leg to stand on if they went to court, and in fact, would not be treated kindly by the law. Canada's seizing of a Sea Shepherd vessel is a good hint of what would happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand