Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:38 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyRules View Post
Melbourne is a far less superior city than Sydney.
That is why it is more expensive, people are willing to pay more to live in Sydney because the lifestyle is better.
I'm tiring of the Melb vs Syd thing BUT

Melbourne has been the fastest growing city for a few years. At points in recent years there has been over 1000 people per week moving to the city. It is projected to out-populate Sydney within a few decades...

Quote:

Melbourne is cold and the beaches are poor, none of the city beaches are open to the ocean.
Actually the average temp high's aren't that different. I'll let you google that yourself.

However, yes the overnight lows in Melbourne drop about 5-7 degrees cooler than Sydney.

Also, Melbourne has a dry heat & Sydney is more humid.

Actually, Victorian Beaches are amazing. ever head down to Bells Beach? Gunnamatta? Yes, Melbourne is built around a bay, so the "city" beaches are bay beaches. I don't know many Melbournians that are hung up about this, but its a constant bug for Sydney-siders

Quote:
As a World City, Sydney is rated on the same level as Tokyo.
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The status has been rated based on many factors, including cultural, political and financial influence.
Sydney not only has a higher population but also a larger economy, with more corporate head quarters being located in Sydney.
Sydney may be Australia's largest city, but it's small compared to Tokyo & NYC etc.

Sydney will also struggle to grow, as the design of the city is not well thought out. It is already overly congested. Purchasing property in inner Sydney is ridiculous. More & more people will move to Melb/Bris.
Quote:
Sydney has countless nightlife districts, including Kings Cross, Darlinghurst, Paddington, Surry Hills, Darling Harbour, Martin Place, Newtown, Leichhardt. Melbourne doesn't even come close in terms of nightclubs.

Alcohol licensing laws have changed recently, which has led to a plethora of new bar openings.
Sorry, but what in the world is in Martin Place??? Sydneys' great waste of space. At least Melbourne turned Federation Sq into a restaurant / bar area.

Surrey Hills/Paddington are ok.
Interestingly, Sydney is frantically trying to emulate Melbourne's bar scene, especially with the change in alcohol licensing.

Oh & don't even start on Live Music. - if you can find a band in a pub, let me know !
Quote:

Sydney has a much larger multicultural community and that is why it also has a larger range of restaurants and eateries. Melbourne doesn't even have half the sushi trains that can be located in Sydney.

Because there is a larger international community living in Sydney, there is also more cultural events. Sydney is known for it's many food, wine and music festivals.
Ummm Melbourne is well known as a food City. Food ranges from expensive to great cheap feeds.

ha ha is culinary excellence based on SUSHI TRAINS???

Sydney has more expensive restaurants, like Aria, Icebergs & Rockpool etc however, I challenge any average person to eat there regularly.
Quote:
There is a more transient community in Sydney, mostly due to the industry (banking, finance) etc.
Sydney has been voted as the best in the World countless times by tourists and travellers.

Sydney is world's best city - again - Travel - smh.com.au
Sydney voted world's best city | Herald Sun
Maybe. Melbourne has been voted numerous times in the top 3 as the world's most liveable city.
Quote:
Frankly I'm sick of Sydney haters!!! Why is it necessary for most melbournians to express there disdain about Sydney, when most Sydneysiders hardly feel the need to do the same about melbourne.
there is no disdain for sydney.
melbournians feel a bit of love for their city (which is still referred to as Bleak City by those threatened sydney-siders)

I've lived in both.
I love Melbourne.
I like Sydney.

oh & nrl sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 05:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:

Frankly I'm sick of Sydney haters!!! Why is it necessary for most melbournians to express there disdain about Sydney, when most Sydneysiders hardly feel the need to do the same about melbourne.
I'll have to try to spend more time in Sydney, but honestly I can't get too into it and I've tried. It seems one of those places that gets hyped but kind of falls flat for me. Yes there are some nice parts and all that but still dunno. Maybe I've gone to the wrong areas or done the wrong things there or whatever.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
One thing really stands out, pay is much better in Sydney than Melbourne, I'm now earing $16 an hour more than I did in Melbourne.

Put it this way Sydney first, Melbourne second and lastly Gold Coast.

Each city has their pros and cons.

Sydney does it fine for me for now.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:37 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
One thing really stands out, pay is much better in Sydney than Melbourne, I'm now earing $16 an hour more than I did in Melbourne.

Put it this way Sydney first, Melbourne second and lastly Gold Coast.

Each city has their pros and cons.

Sydney does it fine for me for now.
What's your occupation?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:51 AM

13 posts, read 49,973 times
Quote:
Melbourne is a far less superior city than Sydney.
That is why it is more expensive, people are willing to pay more to live in Sydney because the lifestyle is better.

Melbourne is cold and the beaches are poor, none of the city beaches are open to the ocean.

As a World City, Sydney is rated on the same level as Tokyo.
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The status has been rated based on many factors, including cultural, political and financial influence.
Sydney not only has a higher population but also a larger economy, with more corporate head quarters being located in Sydney.

Sydney has countless nightlife districts, including Kings Cross, Darlinghurst, Paddington, Surry Hills, Darling Harbour, Martin Place, Newtown, Leichhardt. Melbourne doesn't even come close in terms of nightclubs.

Alcohol licensing laws have changed recently, which has led to a plethora of new bar openings.

Sydney has a much larger multicultural community and that is why it also has a larger range of restaurants and eateries. Melbourne doesn't even have half the sushi trains that can be located in Sydney.

Because there is a larger international community living in Sydney, there is also more cultural events. Sydney is known for it's many food, wine and music festivals.

Sydney has been voted as the best in the World countless times by tourists and travellers.

Sydney is world's best city - again - Travel - smh.com.au
Sydney voted world's best city | Herald Sun

Sydney isn't more expensive because it's better, Sydney isn't better, why do you think Melbourne was rated as number 1 most livable city in the world more than 4 times running, and in 2010 Melbourne was rated as the world's2nd most livable city! and no, it's got nothing to to with lower cost,
The ratings are undertaken with over all cities worldwide, it includes hospital, schools, Government and local economy, universities, shopping, what is in the city.

Now, Melbourne has Australia's best hospital system, Sydney has Australia's worse hospital system, which the Commonwealth Government have even said that!
Melbourne is always ahead in schools, Melbourne is always first to upgrade, Melbourne was first to upgrade from 4 computers per kid to 3 and now there up to 2 computer per kid, this year there will be 1 computer per kid, and Sydney only provide 3 computers per kid!

The royal children's hospital was rated as the world's most advanced hospital!

Melbourne was rated as the safest city in Australia, an with much less crime than Sydney, Sydney streets are always packed, maybe because there are no trams in Sydney, Melbourne however has the world's largest tram network, and every train in Melbourne has Air Con, over 90% of Sydney trains don't have Air Con, the Sydney Monorail doesn't even have Air Con.

Melbourne has a public bike hire system with 50 automatic bike stations and 600 bikes, Sydney doesn't have any bike hire system!

Melbourne is the cultural capital of Australia, the fashion capital of Australia and the sports capital of the world.

Since 2006, Melbourne population growth has been larger than Sydney's, and as of 2009, Melbourne's got Australia's largest population growth which is set to overtake Sydney very soon.

And with the Economy, Melbourne has a much higher economy than Sydney,
The Sydney economy is only 350 billion while the Melbourne one is 780 billion,

And more companies are based in Melbourne,

BHP Billiton is based in Melbourne and that's Australia's largest company, Telstra, Rio Tinto, ANZ Bank, National Australia Bank (NAB) are based in Melbourne, Coles Myer Group, Target, Kmart, Tiger Airways, Jet Star, 7 network, 10, and SBS, BurbankNational Foods, Bendigo Bank, AXA, MediBank, National Broadband Network (NBN Co), Craxy John's, HP, Office Works, VIP Tel, Dodo, Primus, Australia Post, Australian Air Express, Australian Red Cross HQ, Salvation Army HQ, TRU Energy, Victorian, Electricity, Red Energy,

Australian TV was also founded in Melbourne, and Aired in Sydney 5 years after Melbourne,

The Victoria Police was one of the first Police Forces in the world, Sydney got a Police Force 9 years after Melbourne,

Melbourne used to be the Australian Capital, Sydney or NSW has never been the Australian Capital!

Sydney is just crime land, Kings Cross is the worst place in Australia, the west i much worse than any of Melbourne.

Also, Melbourne has the fastest internet speed in Australia which is 100mbps, Sydney only has 30mbps,

Melbourne has one fully state integrated transport ticket system (Myki) which is a Reloadable SmartCard, Sydney has a 16 year old ticket system, the sydney ticket devices have one button per station, it takes like 10 minutes to find your station on the sydney network.

Also, Melbourne has the world's largest tram network! and the MCG which is nothing like the SCG!

music is much more known in Melbourne than Sydney, Melbourne is the music capital of Australia, why do you think people in Melbourne are now calling on the Victorian Government with Live Australia music! look up the facts and stop lieing, because that information you said is a lie!

I work for the Government, i know the facts!

Old 03-29-2010, 02:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Yeah you could go on forever comparing Melbourne vs Sydney.

Melbourne has it over Sydney in many departments, but I still think Melbourne lacks Sydney's 'magic' not to put it too sentimentally. I'd rather live in Melbourne, and it's overall a better city, but Sydney is a much more scenic city with an allure and magnetism few cities in the WORLD can match. In some ways Sydney has something even great cities like Tokyo and London don't.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 AM

13 posts, read 49,973 times
Did you know that, as of late 2009, Melbourne took over Sydney with the amount of office space in the city! in 2008, Melbourne took over as fashion capital.

For a while however, Melbourne city has been larger than Sydney, the city size, Melbourne has much more hotels, i i can provide much more info on that!

Very soon, Melbourne will overtake Sydney in the amount of people,

Old 03-29-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic2010 View Post
Did you know that, as of late 2009, Melbourne took over Sydney with the amount of office space in the city! in 2008, Melbourne took over as fashion capital.

For a while however, Melbourne city has been larger than Sydney, the city size, Melbourne has much more hotels, i i can provide much more info on that!

Very soon, Melbourne will overtake Sydney in the amount of people,
Melbourne was indeed the biggest city in Australia for a time, and I thought it was always the fashion/shopping capital.

Although current projections are that it will not exceed Sydney in the forseeable future. To be honest I think that's a good thing Sydney is too crowded!

Old 03-29-2010, 05:07 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Melbourne was indeed the biggest city in Australia for a time, and I thought it was always the fashion/shopping capital.
And it must be the Financial Capital as well.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
And it must be the Financial Capital as well.
Yep, it's like the one with all the talents and brains but none of the 'beauty' (meaning glam).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand