Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:34 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yeah, it's very common in the Southern US for people to claim Native American heritage, especially Cherokee. It's funny because my friends and I were talking about heritage one time and one of my friends says "I'm part Cherokee" and another friend replies "Yeah, so is everyone else" So it makes me wonder if the same thing goes on in Australia.
Funny.

I hear that many Native tribes in the Southern US including the Cherokee decided to fight along side the Confederacy, rather than stay neutral or join the Union side of the Civil War. Likely this has helped perpetuate a positive image, or at least non-negative image in general (white?) Southern culture. True, Rosa Parks who wouldn't give up her seat on a bus was also part native, I think Cherokee, but it seems the past segregation laws in the South focused on those with varying degrees of African-descent and she was also part African-American.

I'm unaware of any historical formal co-operation between Australian aboriginal tribes and white settlers,
so if there wasn't, I could understand why Australian aboriginals were largely-forgotten, at best.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 PM

28 posts, read 86,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I was wondering this. I'd say that majority of people I know, black or white, claim to have some Native American blood. I'm doubtful if most actually do, but the fact that people actually claim it is interesting to me. Native Americans have a lot of problems right now, probably just as much as Australian Aborigines, but most Americans still associate Native Americans as a proud people and want to claim some of that heritage. I'm wondering if the same can be said for Australian Aborigines.
It depends on how far back.

For example in America, you have a lot of people saying "Yeah my great-great grandma twice removed was Cherokee"

That really doesn't cut it.

However it is fact that around 85% of African Americans today have Native American and Western European blood running through their veins. You can see it as, African Americans come in many different tones of color(I myself am Light Skinned).

I'd say the same thing of Whites in America. Many White Americans have Native American blood and West African blood in their veins. Its that, many times it happened so long ago that it didn't make a difference in the long run

Old 01-21-2010, 05:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biolink View Post
It depends on how far back.

For example in America, you have a lot of people saying "Yeah my great-great grandma twice removed was Cherokee"

That really doesn't cut it.

However it is fact that around 85% of African Americans today have Native American and Western European blood running through their veins. You can see it as, African Americans come in many different tones of color(I myself am Light Skinned).

I'd say the same thing of Whites in America. Many White Americans have Native American blood and West African blood in their veins. Its that, many times it happened so long ago that it didn't make a difference in the long run

Your last paragraph, I guess it would depend on how recent the immigrants were to America, and where they settled. I suppose that might not apply to, say, rural Minnesota.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,153,576 times
Can anyone explain to me why people would falsely *want* to claim to ties to either of those groups??
Have either of those groups had any significant achievements, discoveries, inventions, or other marks of greatness that I am just not aware of??
Or is it, for some silly reason, just "cool" to falsely claim lineage to ethnic groups different than one's own??

Old 01-21-2010, 06:43 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Funny.

I hear that many Native tribes in the Southern US including the Cherokee decided to fight along side the Confederacy, rather than stay neutral or join the Union side of the Civil War. Likely this has helped perpetuate a positive image, or at least non-negative image in general (white?) Southern culture. True, Rosa Parks who wouldn't give up her seat on a bus was also part native, I think Cherokee, but it seems the past segregation laws in the South focused on those with varying degrees of African-descent and she was also part African-American.

I'm unaware of any historical formal co-operation between Australian aboriginal tribes and white settlers,
so if there wasn't, I could understand why Australian aboriginals were largely-forgotten, at best.
Well as far as I know there was no formal historical connection with Aborigines with the white settlers. When I went to school when the subject was Australian history, there was little taught on Aborignes. Its probably different now.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post

Your last paragraph, I guess it would depend on how recent the immigrants were to America, and where they settled. I suppose that might not apply to, say, rural Minnesota.
It would apply anywhere in the US. The Cherokee mix is more prevalent in the South however.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Or is it, for some silly reason, just "cool" to falsely claim lineage to ethnic groups different than one's own??
I don't know why but some people do like to claim heritage not their own. Look at Helen Darville/Helen Demidenko affair Helen Darville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There must be something lacking in one's own life to try to enhance it by claiming another hertitage. Or, clinging to the 1/32nd portion that one may be.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 AM

121 posts, read 244,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Can anyone explain to me why people would falsely *want* to claim to ties to either of those groups??
Have either of those groups had any significant achievements, discoveries, inventions, or other marks of greatness that I am just not aware of??
Sadly, in Australia we have what is known as the "aboriginal industry". There are many social and economical benefits to be enjoyed by virtue of having some lineage to the "aboriginal" community. The fourth question on most forms usually ask if the applicant is of such background; a tick in this box will result in the form being processed or assessed differently.

Of course, this is not to say that those who are of "aboriginal" background should not have the opportunity to access these benefits but clearly, there are some whose bloodline has been so diluted that making such claims merely for the sake of some extra benefits seems almost farcical.

The "aboriginal industry" is densely populated by "advisers" whom indirectly benefit from those who chooses to hide behind a very pierceable veil.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:29 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldew View Post
Sadly, in Australia we have what is known as the "aboriginal industry". There are many social and economical benefits to be enjoyed by virtue of having some lineage to the "aboriginal" community. The fourth question on most forms usually ask if the applicant is of such background; a tick in this box will result in the form being processed or assessed differently.

Of course, this is not to say that those who are of "aboriginal" background should not have the opportunity to access these benefits but clearly, there are some whose bloodline has been so diluted that making such claims merely for the sake of some extra benefits seems almost farcical.

The "aboriginal industry" is densely populated by "advisers" whom indirectly benefit from those who chooses to hide behind a very pierceable veil.
Well so many mixed raced Aborigines during colonial times to the near present were largely educated or brought up to supress their Aboriginal identity. Infact up till recently there has been many mixed race Aborigines that have been ashamed of their Aboriginal heritage.

Even there was a time in Australia history where people of convict heritage were ashamed of it, but that has all disapeared now.

I have a friend who has blonde hair and blue eyes and says she is Aborginal. I dont see anything wrong with that. If people are confortable identifying themselfs as a certain race then I have no problem with that. Anyway to be an Aborginal you have to accept yourself as being Aborginal as well as other Aborigines to also identify yourself as being identified as being Aboriginal.

Anyway even though Aborgines get affirmative action as the reason is they get this is they are still the poorest ethnic group, and the life expentancy for them is 20 years younger than non Aborigines. In addition an Aborigine is more likely to to be inprisioned compared to a white person. In addition the Aboriginal suicide rates in prision are higher than non Aboriginal people here. Its a complicated problem and wont be solved overnight. In addition there are still police out there that are racist with Aborigines and have known policemen to go out and hunt Aborigines and provoke them.

Last edited by other99; 01-22-2010 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: change sentence

Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well so many mixed raced Aborigines during colonial times to the near present were largely educated or brought up to supress their Aboriginal identity. Infact up till recently there has been many mixed race Aborigines that have been ashamed of their Aboriginal heritage.

Even there was a time in Australia history where people of convict heritage were ashamed of it, but that has all disapeared now.

I have a friend who has blonde hair and blue eyes and says she is Aborginal. I dont see anything wrong with that. If people are confortable identifying themselfs as a certain race then I have no problem with that. Anyway to be an Aborginal you have to accept yourself as being Aborginal as well as other Aborigines to also identify yourself as being identified as being Aboriginal.

Anyway even though Aborgines get affirmative action as the reason is they get this is they are still the poorest ethnic group, and the life expentancy for them is 20 years younger than non Aborigines. In addition an Aborigine is more likely to to be inprisioned compared to a white person. In addition the Aboriginal suicide rates in prision are higher than non Aboriginal people here. Its a complicated problem and wont be solved overnight. In addition there are still police out there that are racist with Aborigines and have known policemen to go out and hunt Aborigines and provoke them.
So in other words there are Australians that do this too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand