Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:18 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Can anyone explain to me why people would falsely *want* to claim to ties to either of those groups??
Have either of those groups had any significant achievements, discoveries, inventions, or other marks of greatness that I am just not aware of??
Or is it, for some silly reason, just "cool" to falsely claim lineage to ethnic groups different than one's own??
It's just an "In thing" since the 60's. My Grand mother would do anything to deny her Indian heritage when she was younger. This was the common approach that almost all people had 50 years ago: disclaim your cultural heritage and change your name to something that sounded "Less Ethnic" I'm not laying a guilt trip on them. It was just what people did to get by back then. Now days people are so PC and uptight they can't even talk about it historically.

Genetically, with DNA testing many people are finding out they aren't what they thought they were. Kind of like Oprah finding out she wasn't Zulu or Emitt Smith finding out he had 12% European blood in him. Many of us are made up racially, of groups we would proably never guess at. I remember seeing an Indian Chief from the mid west that had blonde hair and blue eyeson't know what percent Indian blood he had in him but I bet it wasn't much.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 03-06-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 03:19 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,228 times
I stumbled on this pic i find it quite interesting:

Seeing this it does make you wonder if there are more white australians out there who have aboriginal ancestors somewhere in their line without visibly knowing it.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:03 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searita4 View Post
As a Native North American of the East Coast, my Dad had roots directly from Ireland and Wales but my Mothers side is difficult to trace and her ancestry was when there were no birth certificates or social security numbers....The catholics would travel through Mexico northwest and convert natives and issue baptismal certificates which were later used to determine around how old they would be...they may have been 3 or 6 years old at the time of issue...My mothers American Indian Heritage was scattered throughout the northeast territory and the southwest, some were pushed down to Mexico and up to Canada so I'd say...the whole continent is mixed together at least in my bloodline which I am very proud of, The love of nature seems to be ingrained in my bones and the sea well what can I say the Welshman in my family was a seaman...So this is how I feel, If an Australian has roots from whence it was inhabited by the English...they are pretty well ingrained Native inhabitants as well regardless of the shade of their skin. I noticed that Australians are extremely attractive people and I don't feel that way about the english, I don't think they look alike at all, I think the Australians have much softer lines about their features and the spirit is rugged unlike the poised English...so I'd say yes, they are as native to their land as we are to ours.
Nonsense,the British convicts and free settlers were as tough as old boots. The Brits themselves were products of invaders, Vikings, Saxons and Romans.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:24 AM

19 posts, read 43,540 times
Identifying as Indigenous is becoming more common than it was decades ago, possibly because the stigma is slowly declining.

To be able to be defined as an Aboriginal person, according the Aboriginal Land Rights Act, they must be of Aboriginal decent, identify as an Aboriginal person and be accepted by the Aboriginal community in which she/he lives.

If an Aboriginal person was to claim Centrelink benefits, then they are able to access a broad range of services that are not limited to rent assistance or utilities allowance. This booklet ( http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/ind203_1203/$file/ind203_1203en.pdf ) goes through all the services available to those who identify as Aboriginal.

In schools, Aboriginal students come in all shapes and sizes and abilities. In 2010, Aboriginal students made up 5.5% of the total of NSW public school population. A Personalised Learning Plan is developed for EVERY Aboriginal student and they have access to two main programs. Funding is provided to schools with an Indigenous population. In one of my junior classes of 28 students, 5 are Indigenous but you wouldn’t come to that conclusion if you simply based it off their physical appearance.

Universities, TAFE (somewhat similar to community college in the States) and job opportunities are designed specifically for Aboriginal people. Incentives are given to increase the number of Indigenous people using the resources available.

In saying that however, there have been instances where an Aboriginal student has received an degree and returned to their community with the intent of helping, only to be shunned and prevented from using their ‘white-man education’.

It also depends on where in Australia you are talking about, as most of the highly populated Aboriginal countries/tribes (roughly 400 groups have people still representing them) are in rural/outback areas and live a different lifestyle to their counterparts in more urban areas.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr View Post
On the whole, I think Americans are much more obsessed with their "ethnic heritage" than Australians - every time I meet an American they offer some crazy list of where their ancestors came from.. ...... I feel terrible abut the status of Aboriginal people in Australia - they didn't ask my ancestors to come here. But I think Native Americans suffer just as badly, if not worse - at least in Australia the topic is very prominent. In the US black vs white race relations seem to overshadow the Native American plight. They don't even seem to be part of the debate. Anyway... rambling now.
In the Northeastern US where there was massive immigration from 1880s-1930s people know their "ethnic heritage" In the South and West you have much higher percentages of "American" as a reported ethnicity. The ancestors of many Southerners( both Black and White) have been in North America since the 1600s and 1700s. The South did not have the massive numbers of immigrants like New York. Since WWII there has been so much migration to the South and West of the United States. People will say they are from New York, Chicago etc much like their grandparents were from Ireland, Poland, Italy etc.

My paternal Grandmothers parents came to the US from Ukraine( back when it was divided between Russia and Austria-Hungary so one is reported as immigrant from Russia the other from Austria) Their kids were all ashamed of their heritage.. even giving themselves last names like Brown. When my grandparents married my grandfathers Mom didnt like him marrying "..an immigrant girl" But all the grandkids are proud of our 1/4 Ukrainian heritage. Generations from now it wont much matter, and to quote some Depesche Mode... People are People.

To you other point about the plight of the Aborigines.. The history of the world is filled with migrations and displacement and mistreatment of the original inhabitants. Not excusing the racism. Look at Enlgand now; there were waves of migration and invasion. The English are a mix of Pict, Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, Norman and Viking. I doubt there are many who are still bitter about the Norman Invasion or Viking Raids. (There are now a large number of Indians and Pakistanis, Africans that will be added to that mixture for future generations.)

An interesting aside to the ethnicity. I have a friend from Uruguay and all her grandparetns were from Poland... but she was in her mind Uruguayan not Polish-Uruguayan. When she married an American she was surprised on meeting her husbands colleague who was proud of being Irish... she asked "I didnt know you were from Ireland" the answer was "My family has been in Colorado for generations" My friend thought it odd that she considered herself Irish after 4 or 5 generations in America

Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,388 times
I'm mixed aboriginal in America, from the stolen generation, the Brits in Australia make me want to puke, I am an American, there should be an uprising against the evil going on there. I was blatantly called a N***er by an Australian on a youtube.com forum, they are scum!!! The Brits in Australia are no better than Hitler and those Corrupt Police Officers should be imprisoned for their hate crimes and the ones who murdered innocent men women and children should be tried before the Aboriginal courts and the families they destroyed and put to death by lethal injection for murdering my people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rest in peace for the lost ones who had no words to be heard for hearts to save them. May god have mercy on there souls. I spit in your Face!!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboriginalman View Post
I'm mixed aboriginal in America, from the stolen generation, the Brits in Australia make me want to puke, I am an American, there should be an uprising against the evil going on there. I was blatantly called a N***er by an Australian on a youtube.com forum, they are scum!!! The Brits in Australia are no better than Hitler and those Corrupt Police Officers should be imprisoned for their hate crimes and the ones who murdered innocent men women and children should be tried before the Aboriginal courts and the families they destroyed and put to death by lethal injection for murdering my people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rest in peace for the lost ones who had no words to be heard for hearts to save them. May god have mercy on there souls. I spit in your Face!!!!
Interesting.

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 09-25-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 PM

4,214 posts, read 4,883,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboriginalman View Post
When you spew out this garbage are you surprised you provoke those sort of epithets on Youtube?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
When you spew out this garbage are you surprised you provoke those sort of epithets on Youtube?
somethings telling me he won't be back.

Lucky we don't all label entire groups from interacting with a few. Otherwise I might have thought badly about all Aboriginals, considering just a few weeks ago, I was told "you think you can walk around like a pretty s.lut, and treat Aboriginals like s.hit" all because I declined to give him any money.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,121 times
05/30/2013. 2: 30 P.M.CST

RE:

Hello, a brief quick message, I'm Charles, (aka Koala,) my great-grandfather, and my grand father, was
from Australia, they was Aborigines... came to America with the British...! I'm mixed Aborigine too. I
really don't "believe in the different RACE," crap. We're all descendant of African, believe it or not! I have
researching family's origin since the early 1980s. And new startling, evidence have been discovered by
____scientist... in different countries... a 98.98 0/0 accuracy. "That been hidden____covered with lies
by certain groups in particular." For there own purpose, and benefits. If it was meant to be, that was once
in the dark, will surely come to the LIGHT!

What different does it makes, if were black, white, yellow, or brown, it I could less. What's most
important to me, is that you are a true honest soul. I don't care for people ignorance behavior...
it doesn't matter-what your so-called skin is, or race is. I love everybody___ even those view me
as their ENEMY. But I'm yet and still I'm gonna love you. It doesn't matter, if you love me or not. -
I want-sink to your level. I'll still love you. I only use the term Aborigine, Ethiopian, or mixed d e s-
c e n t____ for clarification purposes only. That's what people like to hear, and that is what I give
them! Were are all black Africans, (first civilizations was black,) and spread throughout... this old
world. It been proven.

Anyhow, I searching for Aborigines,... American born, or pacific Island ladies... for friendship, & love.
Aborigine brothers are welcome to for friend ship only!

Tank you for you time.

Charles a.k.a. Koala

P.S. Have good-day I love to say, though I have never been to Australia
but I planed to visit there one day soon. Have a good week-end enjoy.
email: ckhazar@ymail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand