U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 01:32 PM

233 posts, read 713,071 times

Advertisements

I just saw an article about funnel webs in the suburbs of Sydney and wondered if seeing them in or around the home is commonplace or not so much. Here in the U.S. we have some deadly spiders as well, but you usually have to be digging around in a wood pile or some other dark undisturbed area to find them. Just curious.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 PM

14,788 posts, read 15,430,869 times
ahh that'd be where I live

I've never seen one in my home, although when i go for walks sometimes see massive webs with some sort spiders sitting there.... invariably that makes me RUN

Funnel Web spiders on the North Shore - Photos | North Shore Times

funnel web spider influx

Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM

4,218 posts, read 6,223,332 times
Never encouted one in the house up hear in Queensland. I did however have a very close run in with a funnel web when i was a child. Was playing in an outdoor sand pit when one craweld all the way up my leg. I had no idea what it was and just quickly brushed it of.
The offending spider was quickly killed and put in a bottle of something like metho to preserve it, that bottle sat in my bedroom for serveral years.
Ah memories!
Spiders dont scare me at all, at least the ones we get in Australia anyway.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-21-2010 at 10:06 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 05:44 AM

519 posts, read 977,099 times
Yeah - no Funnel Web spiders here in QLD Thank god!

They are super poisionous and deadly.

Not sure how common they are though - my husband was raised in Sydney and has plenty of friends and family there and I've never heard the spiders mentioned - I've only occasionally heard about them on TV.

Maybe they are rare?

We have bucket loads of Red Back Spiders though - very very common here in QLD.
Common everywhere here in OZ, I'm never surprised to see them.

Last edited by TumbleBug; 01-22-2010 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 06:17 AM

10,791 posts, read 8,108,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Never encouted one in the house up hear in Queensland. I did however have a very close run in with a funnel web when i was a child. Was playing in an outdoor sand pit when one craweld all the way up my leg..

Quote:
I had no idea what it was and just quickly brushed it of..
You mean, you ... touched it?????

Quote:
The offending spider was quickly killed and put in a bottle of something like metho to preserve it, that bottle sat in my bedroom for serveral years...
OMG! If I'd been your friend, I'd never have gone into your room! Ewwwwww!

Quote:
Ah memories!
Ah ... nightmares!

Quote:
Spiders dont scare me at all, at least the ones we get in Australia anyway.
Spiders scare me, especially the ones we get in Australia.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:23 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,283,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Yeah - no Funnel Web spiders here in QLD Thank god!

They are super poisionous and deadly.

Not sure how common they are though - my husband was raised in Sydney and has plenty of friends and family there and I've never heard the spiders mentioned - I've only occasionally heard about them on TV.

Maybe they are rare?

We have bucket loads of Red Back Spiders though - very very common here in QLD.
Common everywhere here in OZ, I'm never surprised to see them.
No shortage of Redbacks here either...I've counted 15 in my backyard the other day...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 AM

28 posts, read 81,170 times
I looked the Spider up and its mortality rate look likes its really young children, and really old people(Bless the one's that fell to the bites none the same).

I'd be pissed if it was like a guaranteed death if it you got bit by it, and it was common. Seems like its only common and it only hurts really bad if you get bitten, and Anti-venom is common. Thank God.

How often(If at all) do you see poisonous snakes like the Eastern Brown? The Eastern Brown actually fits the above. Its, a common species, and also one of the world's deadliest.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:55 AM

31 posts, read 93,230 times
Not seen a funnel web here in QLD. There are some Red Back webs out in the garden (mostly around the fence) but we've never had one in the house, just a massive Huntsman that crept round the screen door one day. Spiders aren't that much of a problem, but then all the doors and windows are screened. Ants are a nuisance though if they get in the house - especially fire ants which can set up home in electrical equipment and are a notifiable pest so they're trying to eradicate them here.

We've plenty of ghekos, birds and a very tame (it waits for us to feed it) lizard which I think may be a water dragon as it loves swimming in the pool.

so spiders don't stand much of a chance round our place.

As for poisonous snakes, I've yet to see one but we have friends who live out in a heavily wooded area and they get them. I'm always careful if I'm moving stuff around in the shed just in-case something has set up home in there but have found nothing nasty, yet.

Last edited by Luthienz; 01-24-2010 at 04:51 AM..

Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,401,580 times
Never seen one bar at the museum, or someone doing a deadly snakes and spiders public "show".
The Sydney Funnel Web, as the name suggests, is restricted to the Sydney area including the Illawarra, Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Hunter regions.
There are other subspecies of funnel webs that extend up to Toowoomba in Queensland, though are not as dangerous.
There have been no recorded fatalities for either funnel webs or red-backs since anti-venom became available in the 1980's.
Hence, there is nothing to fear, but due caution should always be taken.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,100,995 times
Never seen or heard of a Funnel Web spider in anyone's home or garden here in Victoria. (Well if you don't count those who keep them as pets! )

Mostly round here it's Redbacks and they're easy enough to manage seeing as we don't keep a lot of wood or metal piled up around the yard AND we are cautious around areas that we know Redbacks like to live.

I do know of people who have had Whitetails in their houses here but we haven't.

It's mostly Huntsmen and black house spiders and the odd Golden Orb in the garden but they're pretty harmless, although they can be a bit scary if you come across them suddenly or in the wrong place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand