Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 AM

10 posts, read 47,715 times

Advertisements

Look, Australia will have big increase of population, regrdless of who matters. They are the least populated place on the planet and have so much opportunity. The SE region, particularly around Melbourne and wider Victoria have massive opportunity for new growth areas, both in agriculture and urban environments...just look at google earth!
Australia does need more urban centres, just hope they're not so urban sprawl like current major cities in Australia...keep the land for farming rather than grassy backyards....

Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
ColdCanadian Lake Eyre country is probably just to dry for most
I will admit that when it actually fills (every 10 years) its interesting

If you like outback towns ColdCanadian check out Kununnurra. It sits on the Ord river, surrounded by Gorges and Australia's largest freshwater lake (Lake Argyle) is just down south. Good fishing too with only smaller freshwater Crocs to worry about. Its this area that should be developed. Lots of resources, agriculture and tourism too. Ok it might also be a little Hot. But hey there's plenty of water to go swimming.The ocean is also not that far away
Great pics Hairy.
Have you been to any of these places?

I figured it was "too dry" for most people, likely very difficult to provide enough tapwater, but IF there was a way it could be nice. A place like that rust would develop VERY slowly so it could be an advantage for some industrial applications. And for residents, hobbies affected by humidity-related molds or rust. You picture also shows why a chance of a significant bush fire is almost-zero. The main reason I mentioned this area though is I figured it was mostly-forgotten.

I like Kununnura too. Probably a moderate risk of major bush fire due to the Wet, but lower risk than the Top End. At least a moderate risk of a cyclone hit being something like 100 km from the open sea. I love the look of boab trees with their swollen trunks, twisted branches and fruit the size of grapefruit. Yeah, it's a bit hot. I actually like their weather stats better than Darwin's because their humidity is lower, even though their Build-Up temps are higher, their heat indexes should be similar. There probably is nothing to do in my line of work there. An advantage of Lake Eyre vs. Kununnurra is that surfing waves are pretty much exclusively found on Oz's east, west and south coasts, so it's more than a full day drive for that. Closest surfing break probably near Carnarvon, WA. Probably closer/shorter to fly to an Indonesian surf break.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
If I were Australia, I would nip this out-of-control growth in the bud.

Become really strict on immigration. Not physically bordering a developing nation means that you are in greater control of who comes into you national borders.

Instead of 300 Million people, I wish the entire US only had 30 Million people. What a glorious quality of life we would have.

Big, fertile, resourceful and affluent nations with small populations are the way to go imo.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
That's already happened here. There are more asians in the city than whites. And vast expanses of suburbia are pov, violent effnick hellholes. Perfect example- Dandenong, Doveton and Noble Park...not a single white person...and it's a slum. It's pathetic, this is Australia, not China or Sudan.

Anyone who thinks Australia needs more population is a retarded pile of crap....we should bring our crumbling resources and infrastructure up to scratch first. What kind of a tosspot would invite more immigrants when infrastructure, water supplies etc are barely coping with the existing population
Australia I see a major bubble coming on with it's overinflated real estate(especially considering it's not a cramped country), dollar and commodities.

It has relied on immigration to keep real estate going and all that but I think a bust is coming on. It's time to put the pause button on and bring everything up to date. Things like highways and broadband are way behind 1st world standard.

I think there are way too many people sitting around on welfare as well, not doing a thing except get into trouble.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
That's already happened here. There are more asians in the city than whites. And vast expanses of suburbia are pov, violent effnick hellholes. Perfect example- Dandenong, Doveton and Noble Park...not a single white person...and it's a slum. It's pathetic, this is Australia, not China or Sudan.

Anyone who thinks Australia needs more population is a retarded pile of crap....we should bring our crumbling resources and infrastructure up to scratch first. What kind of a tosspot would invite more immigrants when infrastructure, water supplies etc are barely coping with the existing population
Is that so?

Seriously Sab, I realize you're passionate but is it absolutey necessary to be so bloody insulting whilst also being incorrect?

I know plenty of white people who live in Dandenong, Doveton and Noble Park. (NOT that being white is the benchmark of a quality person) They take great pride in their homes, they work, they contribute to society, they are educated AND they're not alone. There are equal numbers of ethnic refugees and families from other cultures and backgrounds doing exactly the same thing.
NOT TO MENTION that a good majority of the "white people" who settled in Noble Park did so on war grants after WW2 and they built Noble Park from the ground up. That would be Diggers and the families of Diggers.
Care to level some of your vitriol at them and their efforts? I grew up in that "slum" thanks all the same and I absolutely take exception to your repeated generalizations about the area.

Meanwhile here in the "green leafies" people are paying 4 or 5 times as much for their homes and STILL there are neighbours who bring it all down to slum level. I'd even venture to say that those poor little rich kids are bigger bastards when it comes to defacing every bloody thing with grafitti. I'm sure Mummy and Daddy are VERY PROUD of their "artistic tendencies" and their ability to write their bloody names on near on anything that's nailed down.

I'm getting a little tired of your skewed and totally incorrect biases about Noble Park and Dandenong OR any area to be honest. There's good and bad every where. NOT just in Australia but right around the world.

As to can we handle MORE population, sure we can in terms of actual land mass, but someone better come up with water solutions or it really is gonna be Tank Girl time.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Is that so?

Seriously Sab, I realize you're passionate but is it absolutey necessary to be so bloody insulting whilst also being incorrect?
Whoops, I was being politically incorrect was I? Oh noes

Just to be sure, I wipe my ass with political correctness.

Quote:
I know plenty of white people who live in Dandenong, Doveton and Noble Park. (NOT that being white is the benchmark of a quality person) They take great pride in their homes, they work, they contribute to society, they are educated AND they're not alone. There are equal numbers of ethnic refugees and families from other cultures and backgrounds doing exactly the same thing.
NOT TO MENTION that a good majority of the "white people" who settled in Noble Park did so on war grants after WW2 and they built Noble Park from the ground up. That would be Diggers and the families of Diggers.
Care to level some of your vitriol at them and their efforts? I grew up in that "slum" thanks all the same and I absolutely take exception to your repeated generalizations about the area.
Noble Park and Dandenong are epic fails, regardless of who "built it up". Everytime I go to Dandenong it feels like I'm in Cambodia or some other 3rd world country. It's filthy and unnactractive. I myself used to live there and thankfully don't anymore. Interesting how most non-ethnic suburbs populated by europeans and australians are much better. Once while I was on the train, some stupid Dandenong kid actually spat on the window where I was sitting. Whether you like it or not, Dandenong and similar places are hellholes. All the biggest loudmouth reckless louts on the train always get off at Dandenong aswell. INfact, you can tell who will get off at Dandenong just by looking at them.

Quote:
Meanwhile here in the "green leafies" people are paying 4 or 5 times as much for their homes and STILL there are neighbours who bring it all down to slum level. I'd even venture to say that those poor little rich kids are bigger bastards when it comes to defacing every bloody thing with grafitti. I'm sure Mummy and Daddy are VERY PROUD of their "artistic tendencies" and their ability to write their bloody names on near on anything that's nailed down.
There are tosspot neighbours and graffiti taggers EVERYWHERE, most of them are thugs and troublemakers who hail from crap areas, not necessarily "rich kids". Those are too busy driving around in their Toorak tractors which mummy bought them.

Quote:
I'm getting a little tired of your skewed and totally incorrect biases about Noble Park and Dandenong OR any area to be honest. There's good and bad every where. NOT just in Australia but right around the world.
You do have a bed doncha..use it.

Quote:
As to can we handle MORE population, sure we can in terms of actual land mass, but someone better come up with water solutions or it really is gonna be Tank Girl time.
We are populated enough...its not a matter of land available, but infrastructure and resources.

Last edited by §AB; 01-26-2010 at 10:44 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
so I guess you don't venture out to Richmond, Carlton, Prahan etc?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 PM

I've been to all those places. Much better than Dandebong. While you're just as likely to get murdered on Chapel street, it is not a slum and is infact a rather wealthy area.

And Carlton, well that is incomparable to the likes of Dandy, Doveton etc.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:59 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
right, but those areas weren't sought after when the "wogs" were living there, back in the 50's thru to early 80's.

and in the interest of actually being accurate, you are not likely to be murdered on chapel street.

You are quite negative about everything in Melbourne. I'm amazed you still live there.
You really should be in Perth (sorry Vichel) or up near Pauline Hanson or something like that.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:04 PM

Well, crap suburbs are certainly not restricted to Melbourne, so don't get the wrong idea there.

Why are you apologising to Vichel? Am I really that crap? Well then, put a blindfold over ya eyes.

ANd what's wrong with Pauline Hanson? She's the only one in this country who refuses to conform to political correctness, not afraid to speak her mind and for that she is a legend. And she is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand