Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

I thought a thread about Aussie and Kiwi winter olympians might be fun.
Or any athletes from other countries in Oceania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 05:47 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
The winter olympics are not really huge down hear, Dont think I Could put a name to any of our winter olympians!
The only one I can remember is Steve Bradbury, he won our first ever gold medal at the winter olympics (2002?). For thoes who dont know the story he was a speed skater, in the final he was commig last by miles until the final corner of the final lap, when all 4 skaters in front of him crashed into each other. He just skated by an won the race
Its on you tube, I cant post a link at the moment.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM

31 posts, read 99,854 times
There are at least 4 live channels of coverage on pay TV, some of them in HD, plus the usual sports channels making their contribution. Not sure what terrestrial TV will be offering up. So there's some interest.

People seem to be more focused on the tennis right now, perhaps things will ramp up a bit when the games begin and a few Aussie hopefuls get the nation's pulses racing?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 PM

I hear the games start on February 12th,
but not sure what time in B.C.,
or what day in Oz or NZ.

Most years I miss a lot of the Olympics because I didn't know which days they are supposed to be on,
but we have almost two weeks before the Opening Ceremonies.

I'd like to find out what events have competitors from Oceania.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:41 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Check out this link for the Aussies Vancouver 2010: Australian Olympic Winter Team

Supposedly Jacqui Cooper is in the team. I am not sure what the chances of the Aussies are at medalling.

Bradbury was a Short Track Speed Skater and as an added part he was part of the relay team who were hot favourites to win gold but had their own pileup in their semi-final.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the link Nugget.

So no Aussies in curling, ski-jump or ice hockey?
I'm not surprised about ice hockey, but curling would be similar to lawn bowling (though I've never had the chance to try it myself ) and ski-jump? Not sure why no ski-jump competitors. That's one of my most favorite events. Neat to see people flying through the air, 10-20 m above the ground at 100+km/h with only skis attached to their feet.

But "bobsleigh" (aka "bobsled") and luge are my next most favorite events...
Luge especially;
imagine lying on you back on a device the size of a skateboard and going 100+ km/h (?) feet-first. Insane.
Bobsleighs too are pretty neat. I hear they can hit speeds of 120-130km/h.

Anyone have a link for New Zealand's team?

Old 02-02-2010, 06:26 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'm not surprised about ice hockey, but curling would be similar to lawn bowling (though I've never had the chance to try it myself )
Well, curling would have the same problem as ice-hockey in this country - a dearth of ice rinks. There's a few in each major city, or maybe less. The whole ice thing just isn't big here, for obvious reasons. Kids learning to skate and playing hockey in backyard or park outdoor rinks is a rite of passage in much of Canada. I doubt there'd be too many spots in Oz that you could turn your hose on your back lawn in winter and get a rink by the next day.

Funny you should mention curling and lawn bowls in the same sentence. I find it weird that curling is an Olympic sport. Lawn bowls should be a summer Olympic sport then.

Quote:
and ski-jump? Not sure why no ski-jump competitors.
We had that Alicia Camplin a couple of Games back.

Given that we have an environment where snow and ice sports are a rarity for most Australians, we're not going to have a big pool of competitors to pick from and get into the Olympics.

We shine at the summer Olympics for obvious reasons.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Funny you should mention curling and lawn bowls in the same sentence. I find it weird that curling is an Olympic sport. Lawn bowls should be a summer Olympic sport then.
Lawn-bowling isn't an Olympic sport?
I hear there are two ice-rinks in Perth... maybe that could give good lawn-bowlers a chance at international recognition.
Except for having teammates with brooms and someone yelling "...hard, hard, HAAARRRDD!..." () I don't see any difference.

I'd like to try sometime myself though.
Only met one-two people who've actually played it.
I suppose it's unusual because the equipment is expensive.

Quote:
We had that Alicia Camplin a couple of Games back.

Given that we have an environment where snow and ice sports are a rarity for most Australians, we're not going to have a big pool of competitors to pick from and get into the Olympics.

We shine at the summer Olympics for obvious reasons.
True, but most Canadians wouldn't get the chance to practice on jumps that would let them get more than 10 metres of forward "air" at a ski-resort; too unsafe. Back-country skiing? Maybe. (DIY skiing, "heli-skiing", not at a resort, no one around; very-risky ) Realistically, I don't see anyone getting the chance to practice anything resembling an Olympic "ski-jump" unless they belong to an elite ski-club.

Just like bob-sled or luge. I've only seen it on TV. Never actually met someone who's had the opportunity to try them.
Though I've rode down some gentle hills laying on a skateboard going 20 km/h in parking lots and quiet residential areas.
("Street-luge" )

Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Lawn-bowling isn't an Olympic sport?
Yeah, I know. And that corrupt ice-dancing is. Go figure.

Quote:
True, but most Canadians wouldn't get the chance to practice on jumps that would let them get more than 10 metres of forward "air" at a ski-resort; too unsafe. Back-country skiing? Maybe. (DIY skiing, "heli-skiing", not at a resort, no one around; very-risky ) Realistically, I don't see anyone getting the chance to practice anything resembling an Olympic "ski-jump" unless they belong to an elite ski-club.)
But they'd have loads of opportunity to get the basics - skiing. Here, you can't even get that, unless you live in the east and are fairly well off. And it's a very short season here. Much better chance of someone really good at skiing taking it further in countries like Canada.

And then there's the funding, which is probably a bigger reason for success at the Olympics. Australia's sport funding I read somewhere is way more than Canada, and it's pretty much concentrated on summer type sports because there's a bigger pool of talent for that here.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:40 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,452,494 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link Nugget.

I'm not surprised about ice hockey, but curling would be similar to lawn bowling (though I've never had the chance to try it myself ) and ski-jump? Not sure why no ski-jump competitors. That's one of my most favorite events. Neat to see people flying through the air, 10-20 m above the ground at 100+km/h with only skis attached to their feet.

But "bobsleigh" (aka "bobsled") and luge are my next most favorite events...
Luge especially;
imagine lying on you back on a device the size of a skateboard and going 100+ km/h (?) feet-first. Insane.
Bobsleighs too are pretty neat. I hear they can hit speeds of 120-130km/h.

Anyone have a link for New Zealand's team?
My fav event is skeleton, however luge and bobsleigh come VERY close behind,

Winter Olympics New Zealand

I believe we only have about 12 or so athletes going, still I cannot wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand