Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 PM

52 posts, read 49,949 times

Advertisements

I met people in Australia and encountered cultures that I would not back in the US. Muslims in Australia are an interesting bunch, the first year I was here I saw a group of Lebanese women in a coffee place and some of them were wearing very revealing clothing, I was also struck by how attractive they were.

Australia is not a perfect utopia and has racists but just like Oz better than the US.

You met someone that does not like Indians, I heard about the thing with Australia and Indians in Melbourne, most of the attacks were committed by other ethnic groups and usually by street gangs in the Western suburbs, they were mostly muggings, and they mostly occurred during very odd hours at night. I lived in LA, people get gunned down in broad daylight, an Indian store clerk near my old home got stabbed over an argument about the price of gum in LA. If you go to a border town in the US, you will find plenty of hate for Mexicans, try Arizona, and look up Joe Arpaio, he has made hating Mexicans official government policy.

Harry Connick Jr. made a huge stink about the Michael Jackson impression on a TV show, the performer was actually an Indian guy but wore an Afro wig and colored his face black. Its more political incorrectness than outright racism. He forgot that he did something just as offensive on Saturday Night Live.

Last edited by YankDownunder; 02-28-2010 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:33 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,954,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankDownunder View Post
I met people in Australia and encountered cultures that I would not back in the US. Muslims in Australia are an interesting bunch, the first year I was here I saw a group of Lebanese women in a coffee place and some of them were wearing very revealing clothing, I was also struck by how attractive they were.

Australia is not a perfect utopia and has racists but just like Oz better than the US.

You met someone that does not like Indians, I heard about the thing with Australia and Indians in Melbourne, most of the attacks were committed by other ethnic groups and usually by street gangs in the Western suburbs, they were mostly muggings, and they mostly occurred during very odd hours at night. I lived in LA, people get gunned down in broad daylight, an Indian store clerk near my old home got stabbed over an argument about the price of gum in LA. If you go to a border town in the US, you will find plenty of hate for Mexicans, try Arizona, and look up Joe Arpaio, he has made hating Mexicans official government policy.

Harry Connick Jr. made a huge stink about the Michael Jackson impression on a TV show, the performer was actually an Indian guy but wore an Afro wig and colored his face black. Its more political incorrectness than outright racism. He forgot that he did something just as offensive on Saturday Night Live.
Most Lebanese here are Christian, others can be non religous or even not follow a particular relgion but of course there are muslims that wear revealing clothes but not many. Some that do can suffer discrimation by other muslims esp if the muslim women wear revealing clothes and I heard of stories of muslim women being harassed by male muslims becuase they not covered up right here in this country. In addition there was a Shiek at a mosque in Sydney that compared to women that did not wear the hijab to uncovered meat.

Well the woman in question that said she does not like indians is from Melbourne. I lived in Melbourne and know the attitudes from some white Australians there can have some negative views to Indians, and even lived with one there.

But in Sydney its not any more race tolerant than Melbourne for sure. The Conulla riot is an example. In addition some Anglos dont like Lebanese, but also some Asians dont like Lebanese as well.

In addition I have heard some whites tell terrible jokes on Aborigines. As well as some whites including a family member telling me to avoid Aborigine areas of certain country towns becuase its too unsafe and they have destroyed the area.

Of course I have heard some stories in the US south on race attacks and KKK rallies and heard one event recently and the KKK is still common in the south. Such organisations like that which are White supremists are more rare here, and public rallies like that are also quite rare.

Last edited by other99; 02-28-2010 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-28-2010, 11:16 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I definitely don't agree with you.

I truly hate to say it because I really like Australia, but I surely think Australia is more racist than either the US, Canada or Western Europe with ease. Like a guy posted earlier, he encountered "whites only" bathrooms as recent as 1985. Other people might not aren't even aware that this kind of stuff happened! The US and Canada have had their dark moments, but the number of Australians who hold an "I could care less" attitude", "Why should I feel guilty about that", attitude towards aboriginals and to a lesser extent new immigrants is simply astounding. And that's not even getting into the people who aren't even aware of Australia's past or learned nothing about it in school. Australians are great people but this subject of race in relation to Australia has always amazed me.
Out of curiosity .. have you ever visited Australia?

A lot of Australians don't have guilt over the Aborigines becuase they or their family are recent newcomers. For me, I am first generation Australian. My family has never, ever imposed one negative on an Aborigine. However, collectively as a society, Australia is progressing past these past atrocities and I hope, we can start working together with Indigenous Australians to improve their health / life expectancy etc.

So how do many Americans view the KKK or segregation/slavery of US past ?? Do new Americans feel a detachment? Or what about the treatment of American Indians?

Regarding school, maybe my school was the only one that taught the "Dreamtime" in Primary School ???

Old 03-01-2010, 07:41 AM

52 posts, read 49,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Most Lebanese here are Christian, others can be non religous or even not follow a particular relgion but of course there are muslims that wear revealing clothes but not many. Some that do can suffer discrimation by other muslims esp if the muslim women wear revealing clothes and I heard of stories of muslim women being harassed by male muslims becuase they not covered up right here in this country. In addition there was a Shiek at a mosque in Sydney that compared to women that did not wear the hijab to uncovered meat.

Well the woman in question that said she does not like indians is from Melbourne. I lived in Melbourne and know the attitudes from some white Australians there can have some negative views to Indians, and even lived with one there.

But in Sydney its not any more race tolerant than Melbourne for sure. The Conulla riot is an example. In addition some Anglos dont like Lebanese, but also some Asians dont like Lebanese as well.

In addition I have heard some whites tell terrible jokes on Aborigines. As well as some whites including a family member telling me to avoid Aborigine areas of certain country towns becuase its too unsafe and they have destroyed the area.

Of course I have heard some stories in the US south on race attacks and KKK rallies and heard one event recently and the KKK is still common in the south. Such organisations like that which are White supremists are more rare here, and public rallies like that are also quite rare.
The Lebanese women I saw in the coffee shop were Muslims, some were wearing revealing clothing the others were wearing traditional wear. A Lebanese fella told me they are like that. Yes I know about the Lebanese and Anglos, its kind of a two way street, the Lebanese were the ones who were mostly beating up Indian students. Where I live in Sydney there are a high percent of Jews and and descendants of people who fled Nazi Germany, so some people come to Oz to escape persecution.

As far as Indians are concerned, many Malaysian Indians are migrating to Australia because of the discrimination they face in that country by the Muslim Malays and Chinese, so there. I will pull up that article when I get a chance just so you don't think I am BSing. I have a very hard time believing Aussies would hate Indians, first of all Indians have some kind of weird obsession with Anglo culture, both love cricket, and Aussies actually like curry. Some parts of Sydney I can smell it in the air.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,954,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankDownunder View Post
The Lebanese women I saw in the coffee shop were Muslims, some were wearing revealing clothing the others were wearing traditional wear. A Lebanese fella told me they are like that. Yes I know about the Lebanese and Anglos, its kind of a two way street, the Lebanese were the ones who were mostly beating up Indian students. Where I live in Sydney there are a high percent of Jews and and descendants of people who fled Nazi Germany, so some people come to Oz to escape persecution.

As far as Indians are concerned, many Malaysian Indians are migrating to Australia because of the discrimination they face in that country by the Muslim Malays and Chinese, so there. I will pull up that article when I get a chance just so you don't think I am BSing. I have a very hard time believing Aussies would hate Indians, first of all Indians have some kind of weird obsession with Anglo culture, both love cricket, and Aussies actually like curry. Some parts of Sydney I can smell it in the air.
I been to Malaysia, and even met an American guy of Indian heritage there and spent a some time with him. His expereince to Malaysia was different from mine as people mistaken him for local, and when the Indian Malaysians found out he was from America they complained to him that Indians in Malaysia are discrimated against.

Well i grew up in the country and yes there were no serious problems with racism, of course there were racists but they were only a small minority of people.

Last edited by other99; 03-01-2010 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,954,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Out of curiosity .. have you ever visited Australia?

A lot of Australians don't have guilt over the Aborigines becuase they or their family are recent newcomers. For me, I am first generation Australian. My family has never, ever imposed one negative on an Aborigine. However, collectively as a society, Australia is progressing past these past atrocities and I hope, we can start working together with Indigenous Australians to improve their health / life expectancy etc.

So how do many Americans view the KKK or segregation/slavery of US past ?? Do new Americans feel a detachment? Or what about the treatment of American Indians?

Regarding school, maybe my school was the only one that taught the "Dreamtime" in Primary School ???
He's actually in Montreal.

Last edited by minibrings; 03-01-2010 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,052,832 times
cheers, I didn't notice the location - assumed from the states ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand