Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 02:07 AM

333 posts, read 977,675 times

Advertisements

Okay, so my boyfriend and I are wanting to get married hopefully in the next year, and I'll be needing a Fiance' visa. I've read up on it some, and I'm just wondering if anybody has any information on it that would be helpful? As I've read it can take anywhere from 4-10 months to receive it, and I just wanna make sure that when we send in for it, that we've given them all the details they'll need. Thanks for any help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,431,220 times
Don't know.....I'm avaliable for marriage as long as I get my cut......

Old 02-22-2010, 03:44 AM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
Well my wife and i applied for ours in november, (before we were married) its still a work in progress, but should be finalised soon if the last phone call we have is anything to go by!
I could help you quite lot, but first of all are you applying for a partner visa (from within Australia) or a prospective spouse visa (from overseas)?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Well my wife and i applied for ours in november, (before we were married) its still a work in progress, but should be finalised soon if the last phone call we have is anything to go by!
I could help you quite lot, but first of all are you applying for a partner visa (from within Australia) or a prospective spouse visa (from overseas)?
It's a prospective spouse visa, but actually the one prior to that. The prospective marriage visa from overseas yes. I'm an American and he's Australian.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
Hello
The prospective Spouse Visa and the Prospetive Marriage Visa are the same thing, I just got the name wrong sorry.
Anyway we applied for the Partner visa within Australia, so the process is a little bit different. A few words of advice however make sure you keep ever bit of information you have which has you and your partners name on it. Wedding or party invitations, letters and envelopes, telephone accounts, bank accounts, electiricity accounts, any invoices and any old emails and letters you may have kept which were written to each other etc.
I found the whole process to be a massive invasion of our privacy, but thats the sort of stuff they ask for.
My sister in law also came into Australia on a prospectvie marriage visa, she had to get married by a certain date before the visa expired, and really had to rush the whole wedding process. Not sure what the deal is if you dont get married in australia.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-22-2010 at 05:05 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Hello
The prospective Spouse Visa and the Prospetive Marriage Visa are the same thing, I just got the name wrong sorry.
Anyway we applied for the Partner visa within Australia, so the process is a little bit different. A few words of advice however make sure you keep ever bit of information you have which has you and your partners name on it. Wedding or party invitations, letters and envelopes, telephone accounts, bank accounts, electiricity accounts, any invoices and any old emails and letters you may have kept which were written to each other etc.
I found the whole process to be a massive invasion of our privacy, but thats the sort of stuff they ask for.
My sister in law also came into Australia on a prospectvie marriage visa, she had to get married by a certain date before the visa expired, and really had to rush the whole wedding process. Not sure what the deal is if you dont get married in australia.
Hmm kk =/ well I don't like the thought of them wanting that much info, that it's an invasion of our privacy. I don't believe it should get to that point. I think the reason you "have" to get married in Australia, is cause you're on their visa, and probably somehow makes you're marriage legal in that country. Otherwise, I'm sorta hoping we can change plans and get married here in the U.S. so more of my relatives can attend. If we did it here though, it'd be the same sort of thing, except instead of the 9 month visa in Australia, you get 3 months and you have to be married within that time frame. I'm just hoping maybe it won't be "as much" of an invasion of our privacy if we get the U.S. visa for him.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,863,103 times
I should hope they invade the privacy of any prospective immigrant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand