Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
"Aussie Aussie Aussie" isn't all that Aussie anyway. It's a chant that we nicked from the Poms (and the Welsh), and it actually goes "Oggy Oggy Oggy Oi Oi Oi".
hahaha
that is great! ... being of Italian descent I just wanna insert a w infront
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
According to the Department of Foreign Affairs (USA), roughly 100,000 Australians live in the US. The number of Australians living in and migrating to the USA is significantly greater than Americans living in or migrating to Oz.
True. I just found an ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) Survey from 2006. In 2006 there were 65,000 Americans migrants in Oz and 33,200 Canucks. As far as migration gains, Canada was #1, followed by the Uk then Oz. It is much easier to migrate to Canada than Oz. Can't comment on the UK. Hardest to migrate to the US.
http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausst...20_2005-06.pdf

The thing that struck me as odd was I expected to see at least 200 nationalities listed but saw many countries not represented. I guess I should not expect the diversity that exists in the US - NYC metro area has 200 nationalities alone. But its still an interesting mix of countries and cultures moving to Oz.

Even MORe shocking is this article from The Age that said most Australians who leave, never come back http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...340890279.html

Whoever said few Aussies move to the US and that those who want to move are ignorant or bogans is wrong. Its the other way around -- more Aussies leave for the US. And if The Age article is true, the ones that leave are the 'best and the brightest' and most don't come back. Now I wonder if Rudd has addressed this as the article was written while Johnnie was PM.

Last edited by minibrings; 03-01-2010 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
True. I just found an ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) Survey from 2006. In 2006 there were 65,000 Americans migrants in Oz and 33,200 Canucks. As far as migration gains, Canada was #1, followed by the Uk then Oz. It is much easier to migrate to Canada than Oz. Can't comment on the UK. Hardest to migrate to the US.
http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausst...20_2005-06.pdf

The thing that struck me as odd was I expected to see at least 200 nationalities listed but saw many countries not represented. I guess I should not expect the diversity that exists in the US - NYC metro area has 200 nationalities alone. But its still an interesting mix of countries and cultures moving to Oz.

Even MORe shocking is this article from The Age that said most Australians who leave, never come back Life is elsewhere - www.theage.com.au

Whoever said few Aussies move to the US and that those who want to move are ignorant or bogans is wrong. Its the other way around -- more Aussies leave for the US. And if The Age article is true, the ones that leave are the 'best and the brightest' and most don't come back. Now I wonder if Rudd has addressed this as the article was written while Johnnie was PM.
Actually, UK is among the hardest countries to migrate to. It's a known fact that European countries mostly do not accept immigration. You see a lot of VISIBLE minorities in North America & Australia, but not in Europe.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Actually, UK is among the hardest countries to migrate to. It's a known fact that European countries mostly do not accept immigration. You see a lot of VISIBLE minorities in North America & Australia, but not in Europe.
I've spent a lot of time in western europe and you see many in Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, London, southern Italy, etc. Even Ireland of late has a marked increase in the number of visibile minorities. Quite a few refugees are also making their way and staying in Italy. Until the Irish economy went down you would see adverts in NYC subway cars encouraging people to consider moving to Ireland.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:01 PM

52 posts, read 50,328 times
Its very easy to stay in Europe vs. the US/Canada/Australia for most non English speaking people. I actually knew someone from the UK who was refused an Aussie visa, he was an airline pilot and he was in his late 40s, Australia makes it nearly impossible for anyone over the age of 45 to migrate there permanently. NZ is a bit more liberal.

Most of the immigrants in Western Europe, are mostly low skilled migrants from the Middle East. Generally these people do not integrate well and hence that is why you see the problems that Europe is suffering now, many European cities have ghetto areas where police do not even enter, check out the suburbs of Paris if you get a chance and compare it with the more glamorous city proper. You see more kebab and curry shops in the UK than you do fish and chips.

20 percent of current French citizens are descendants of North African Arabs.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM

52 posts, read 50,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
You have not been to Europe recently, I suggest trying London, Paris, and Berlin, all three have HUGE immigrant ethnic ghettos. Think Bankstown is full of Lebs?? LOL. Try out some of the suburbs of Paris, Berlin has massive Turkish population. London is pretty self explanatory.

Being the dumb yank I was in 2003, I wound up living in an area with a huge Lebanese population because the realtor told me the rent was cheap. I remember that first week in Sydney vividly, I thought I was in Beirut or Baghdad not Sydney.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:17 AM

18 posts, read 61,534 times
the OP cracks me up. I wonder why his name is yankdownunder. I seriously dont think hes a Yank but whatever. I have experience living in the US, Australia and NZ. All have their pluses and minuses. I love all three countries but the longer I stayed in Aus and NZ the more I realized how much more opportunity, diversity in geography, places to travel etc, there is in North America. I love hopping on a plane and heading to Colorado, or Seattle, Quebec City, Honolulu. You just cant find that in Australia. Perth, Syd and Bris are just too much a like. The prices there are ridiculous too. it really is a struggle to make a good living in Australia. Thats why many Brits go running back to Blighty.(UK) As for the general Aussie population in the US> Most are very well educated and happily settled. Even Nicole Kidman and keith Urban have planted roots in Nashville.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:03 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Don't Australia and New Zealand require large buy ins to their Health Plans?

Old 03-06-2010, 02:40 PM

18 posts, read 61,534 times
yes most aussies I know hold private in addition to govt plans. Its not like in the UK

Old 03-06-2010, 02:53 PM

630 posts, read 1,048,658 times
hi mini i sent you a message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand