Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 PM

86 posts, read 162,420 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

Basically, I'm an American that applied for the New Zealand Working Holiday Permit, and it was granted. I have a visa that will let me work and live in NZ for a year, and I had some questions about Auckland, where I'm planning on moving.

I was wondering what the good areas are in Auckland (fun, young, stuff to do, etc.) and that the areas I should stay away from are (higher crime, etc.).

I am a 25 year old male from Portland, Oregon, and basically I'm looking to work at a coffee shop, be a waiter, bartender, etc. I don't want to live in a suburb, as I won't have a car. I know Auckland is much bigger than Portland, and I know Portland has a great transit system, and I have read that Auckland has lots of urban sprawl. So I want to try and live pretty centrally, or at least be able to bike places.

What areas have fun, more "independent" style bars and restaurants and such? How about areas to live? I'm not looking for anything upscale, just normal so it's not too expensive, but I don't want to live in a bad area.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 07:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,713,364 times
Is there any particular reason you want to stay in Auckland or have you considered other towns/cities?

Old 04-02-2010, 08:15 PM

Well, it's the biggest, most metropolitan city, basically. So it has that big city appeal (Portland is pretty small, comparatively). It's only based on my limited knowledge of Auckland and NZ in general, so I am pretty open-minded, but Auckland, for now, is that I have in mind.

I am only going to be in NZ for a year (if I like it, maybe I can land a longer visa!). I was planning on living and working in Auckland, and then taking some time at the end of my stay and checking out other parts of NZ and also Sydney.

That said, I have read that Dunedin is a lot of fun, although I haven't read much about Wellington or Christchurch, or anywhere else I may not even know of.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 PM

Well, honestly, upon reading about Wellington, I think I'm reconsidering. Seems more my style, and more like Portland, if that makes sense. This is just from reading, and I obviously don't know much, but apparently it has a good transit system, is pedestrian-friendly, has a thriving arts community, etc.

Is that right, from your experience, assuming you've been to/lived in Wellington?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,169,868 times
Not sure where you get your stats from but Portland is considerably larger than Auckland. It's metro area has 2,159,720, compared to 1,333,000 in Auckland. Even in the city limits it's 580,000 to 440,000. I'm not sure which 'feels' bigger, though.

I lived in Auckland for six months but couldn't tell you anything about it because I was literally a baby!

Can't really speak for Wellington, but it seems to have culture for it's size. Don't underestimate Christchurch or even Dunedin too.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:22 PM

84 posts, read 257,524 times
I'd say Wellington would be more your thing, not Auckland, upon reading what you want.

@Trimac: were your parents kiwi?

Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,169,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard7666 View Post
I'd say Wellington would be more your thing, not Auckland, upon reading what you want.

@Trimac: were your parents kiwi?
My dad is Malaysian and my mother from Singapore. My dad studied and lived in New Zealand for a number of years back in the 70's, and they were planning to immigrate to New Zealand but couldn't get the permanent residency so went to Australia instead.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhbv24 View Post
Well, it's the biggest, most metropolitan city, basically. So it has that big city appeal (Portland is pretty small, comparatively). It's only based on my limited knowledge of Auckland and NZ in general, so I am pretty open-minded, but Auckland, for now, is that I have in mind.

I am only going to be in NZ for a year (if I like it, maybe I can land a longer visa!). I was planning on living and working in Auckland, and then taking some time at the end of my stay and checking out other parts of NZ and also Sydney.

That said, I have read that Dunedin is a lot of fun, although I haven't read much about Wellington or Christchurch, or anywhere else I may not even know of.
If you have left coast tendencies and think Portland is the bomb then I think you'll find Wellington not too dissimilar. It has similar weather, an artsy type scene and a lot of civil service employees. All except it is a lot smaller.

Auckland is not a big city by rest of world standards but it is for NZ. Auckland I find is a city dictated by the odd ball topography so including the north shore, it's quite spread out for the population. What I would say about Auckland is that it is the "business end" of NZ. It is where a lot of NZ imports and exports come out of, where a lot of financial companies are based, where there is small manufacturing and also a distribution hub for goods within NZ. It has a bit of "culture" but as an interesting place for a 25 year old on a year visit, I don't think you will find Auckland all that inspiring.

For someone your age, the best place is Queenstown. Queenstown and the local area is not perfect, but it is the adventure hub of NZ that just about every backpacker and traveler aged 18-35 passes through. It is very scenic country, small city but lots of people coming though.

Taupo on the north island is also a similar destination to Queenstown. Great scenery, lots to do and plenty of people your age.

Christchurch I like a lot due to the local variety of having the beach and mountains so close.

Dunedin is a big university town and much of that town revolves around the school.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhbv24 View Post
Well, honestly, upon reading about Wellington, I think I'm reconsidering. Seems more my style, and more like Portland, if that makes sense. This is just from reading, and I obviously don't know much, but apparently it has a good transit system, is pedestrian-friendly, has a thriving arts community, etc.

Is that right, from your experience, assuming you've been to/lived in Wellington?
That is pretty much spot on with Wellington. Just remember it's all on a much smaller scale than what you are used to.

I've had a lot of friends do the working holiday visa and all of them ended up trying out different towns rather than staying in one for a year. They also had a lot of kiwi friends over there from meeting them via their work experience in the states so certainly that dictated some of their decisions as to where they went.

Pedestrian friendly? Well your leg muscles will get a good workout on some of the hills.

In my travels in NZ, I'd say the south island is the better one due to the orientation towards adventure and having fun. People are generally more friendly and easy going. There is more diversity in landscapes and weather as well. As they say "the farther south you go the friendlier the people". So I'd at least give the south island a chance when there otherwise I think you'll miss out.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 19,929 times
I've moved to Wellington from Christchurch with a sister living in Auckland (and moving to Portland in a couple of months, funnily enough!).

I would say Auckland probably isn't what you're looking for. It isn't pedestrian or bike friendly and everything is SO spread out (and hard to get to)- you would almost definitely need a car.

Definitely consider Wellington - it has a real mix of people, and has lots of really good bars/clubs and a really active music/arts scene- there is always something going on! Everything is centered around the central city so most people go there. The bus system is really good and living close to/in town isn't too expensive. The only downsides (for me) in Wellington are the hills and the wind! I've really enjoyed living here.

Christchurch isn't so "hip" and is a lot quieter, but I really like it all the same- as a city in general it is a lot more conservative/traditional but it is flat (haha! )and very bike-friendly, and close to mountains for skiiing and beaches for summer, well pretty much everything nature-wise. So it would be a good choice if you are outdoorsy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand