Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,851,011 times

Advertisements

Funny thread topic name. I know enough that there isn't one particular accent, and that a lot of them are vastly different. I prefer the Broad accent and I tend to enjoy any accents with some drawling.

From what I've heard on the internet, this newer "Posh" accent is the worst Australian accent; I am most likely to need subtitles to understand a "Posh" speaker from sounds like the long-I being incredibly flat and monothonged. (I = ah, but even flatter than American Southerners) Posh-Australian sometimes sounds like someone speaking English-as-a-second-language. Clipped-but-mangled. "...We've turned on the latts!..." (lights, lol)

I haven't heard enough Broad to know if I'd find that confusing, but watching Croc Hunter or any Hollywood movies with Australian (broad) accents I am never confused. Haven't heard an "excessive" Aussie drawl yet though... if I ever do, I will post about it.

General Australian can sound nice, but also can sound dullish.

Ditto with "Cultivated", though due to its rarity I might be more likely to enjoy hearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,903,936 times
I find it kinky and a turn on , although the Kiwi accent scares me abit

Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,911,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you approve/disapprove/don't care?

It annoys me 'dude' is used way more than 'mate.' And have you notice the actual way some of the young'uns pronounce words? 'I haave to gat my moybahl phoyne'.
I approve. Nothing wrong with the word "dude". There's no shortage of people using the word "matge" either and have never come across an Aussie youth with a yank accent.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,739,643 times
I don't know what you call the accent coming out of a lot of teenage girls' mouths these days but it is awful. The word 'no' sounds like 'noi', and 'like' becomes 'laaaak', ... <shudder> Hard to describe but if you listen to them on the train talking to each other, loudly, it's like fingernails on a blackboard

Maybe our version of Valley Girl speak?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,178,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
I approve. Nothing wrong with the word "dude". There's no shortage of people using the word "matge" either and have never come across an Aussie youth with a yank accent.
I thought you were afraid of Australia losing it's culture . I guess it's okay as long as it's a another white culture influencing us. God forbid if we all started talking with an Indian accent!

It's a generational thing. When was the last time you heard a teenage girl call her friend 'mate?' (albeit it's mainly been a male thing). In 30 years time dude might be more common for even 40-50 year olds.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I don't know what you call the accent coming out of a lot of teenage girls' mouths these days but it is awful. The word 'no' sounds like 'noi', and 'like' becomes 'laaaak', ... <shudder> Hard to describe but if you listen to them on the train talking to each other, loudly, it's like fingernails on a blackboard

I was talking to Cold Canadian about this. The Aussie accent is most definitely changing and getting watered down. For some it almost sounds like a Yank-Aussie hybrid (the worst, imho) or wannabe posh British. What annoys me is how EVERY dang female under 25 is starting to sound the same. 'Ya' instead of 'yeah', saying 'like' a hundred times a sentence...argh, lol. The vocal inflection is probably more annoying than the actual pronunciations. The constant American-like 'up and down' (different from Aussie 'rising').

Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

There hasn't been much raised about this, actually. People give broad speakers a hard time but seem perfectly fine with this noveau Australian accent. I think the accent is a reaction against broad Aussie, which prevailed among the population from about 1975-1988, but even back then there were those who had that toffy kind of accent. The accent in general, however, was probably most 'Aussie' across the board around the late 1980s.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 AM

121 posts, read 244,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
As a Swedish guy living in the US, I quite like the Australian accent. I assume this probably SHOULD be in plural as I guess the accent is different in Perth then in Brisbane.

I personally think the word "dude" should be avoided unless you are a "yank"........................... :-)
"Dude" is fine - yank or not

What really hurts is hearing words/expressions of "my cuz...you know, my cuz" (cuz = cousins) or "hi bro...." . I hear this type of expressions used all the time at my gym...fortunately, I have alot of self-control. If not, the barbells would fly across the room.

For certain cultures, marrying 1st cousin is the norm. As such, they think everyone is their "cuz".

Old 04-22-2010, 12:34 AM

790 posts, read 1,735,400 times
Quote:
God forbid if we all started talking with an Indian accent!
That would be annoying, actually. I am all for us talking with West Indies accents, though.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,911,452 times
Quote:
I thought you were afraid of Australia losing it's culture . I guess it's okay as long as it's a another white culture influencing us. God forbid if we all started talking with an Indian accent!
GOOD GOD NO!!!!!! Indians can't speak english to begin with... anyone who's ever called up a phone company or have gotten a telemarketer call will know what I mean. They are already stealing Australian jobs etc, the last thing we need is the population speaking telemarketernese.

Quote:
It's a generational thing. When was the last time you heard a teenage girl call her friend 'mate?' (albeit it's mainly been a male thing). In 30 years time dude might be more common for even 40-50 year olds.
Girls generally don't call each other 'mate'.

Last edited by §AB; 04-22-2010 at 12:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand