Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:14 AM

323 posts, read 502,876 times

Advertisements

I instantly think about Baybee and Chahlie:
Lost: The Complete Clip Reel Of Claire's Annoying Cries - Claire lost accent - Jezebel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,779 times
I personally cannot stand the Australian accent and 95% of the Australians that moved to London, the ones in Los Angeles seem alright. Probably one of the worse accents along with those white South Africans.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:41 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I personally cannot stand the Australian accent and 95% of the Australians that moved to London, the ones in Los Angeles seem alright. Probably one of the worse accents along with those white South Africans.
Weird I'm saying this, but finally an American who does NOT like our accent

Old 05-14-2010, 06:34 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^^
Some of Australia's (and England's) words sound bizarre to me, rather than pleasant or interesting.
If you want, I'll try to find and post Aussie words that don't sound nice imho.

I do like "...Chistmas in Australier on a scorching summer's day..." though; quite funny, always makes me grin.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^
Some of Australia's (and England's) words sound bizarre to me, rather than pleasant or interesting.
If you want, I'll try to find and post Aussie words that don't sound nice imho.

I do like "...Chistmas in Australier on a scorching summer's day..." though; quite funny, always makes me grin.
'cept the reality is not so funny. A scorching Chrissie is awful. Christmas is meant to be cold. And this business with having a cold seafood lunch for Christmas is bizarre. I roast a turkey despite practically melting in my kitchen. That's what cold beer is for

Last edited by Vichel; 05-14-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
'cept the reality is not so funny. A scorching Chrissie is awful. Christmas is meant to be cold. And this business with having a cold seafood lunch for Christmas is bizarre.

I roast a turkey despite practically melting in my kitchen. That's what cold beer is for
I meant the way the words sound, (Australier ) not the actual concept.

My most favourite Christmas was 85 F/30 C in Daytona Beach.
I would probably enjoy "swimming in my clothes" on Christmas; we don't even get weather like that most summers!

I remember Christmas Eve's that were brutally-cold;
one dipping overnight to at least -30 C even though the ground was completely bare of snow or ice.

Ever thought of building an outdoor "stone-oven," so your oven doesn't make your house hot?
Or you could make your turkey the way some US Southerners do; deep-fried for 45 minutes in an outdoor fryer.
Deep-fried turkey is catching on in other parts of North America too lately.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:51 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Or you could make your turkey the way some US Southerners do; deep-fried for 45 minutes in an outdoor fryer.
Deep-fried turkey is catching on in other parts of North America too lately.
No thanks! I'll stick to the fresh fish and sand crabs and moreton bay bugs

Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm British but I live in Los Angeles but I hear you though. American's are obsessed with our accents and they can't tell the difference either!... well 90% of them can't.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,730,511 times
Quote:
I'm British but I live in Los Angeles but I hear you though. American's are obsessed with our accents and they can't tell the difference either!... well 90% of them can't.
How someone could not tell the difference is beyond me. They are poles apart.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I recently learned that one difference is British people dipthong the long-O as "eh-oe" while Australians typically say "ah-oe".

Ex:
British: November sounds like "Neh-oe-vem-bah"
Aussie: November sounds like "Nah-oe-vem-bah"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand