Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 AM

28 posts, read 99,557 times

Advertisements

Hi again! Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm very close to committing to my move to Sydney. My workplace will be in Lane Cove. I have a coworker who lives in Drummoyne and it got me searching in that area. It looks lovely! Any opinions? How about commuting to Lane Cove? What's the real commute time? And Lane Cove Primary School -- any opinions on that? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 AM

991 posts, read 1,777,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawilms View Post
Hi again! Thanks in advance for all your help. I'm very close to committing to my move to Sydney. My workplace will be in Lane Cove. I have a coworker who lives in Drummoyne and it got me searching in that area. It looks lovely! Any opinions? How about commuting to Lane Cove? What's the real commute time? And Lane Cove Primary School -- any opinions on that? Thanks so much!
It really depends where you are going to be in Drummoyne and where your work is in Lane Cove. I presume its going to be in the industrial park but in any case the commute is going to be best by driving. Drummoyne is much more of an inner city feel than say a Lane Cove or Chatswood will be. It is a nice area with cafes and nice eateries. I haven't seen your other posts but have you actually considered looking at Lane Cove itself. There are inexpensive areas because one thing you will need to consider is whether or not where you live will allow your child to attend Lane Cove public. It is a very good school although there are some better ones in the area too (such as Artarmon public).

Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 PM

28 posts, read 99,557 times
Nugget, thanks so much. I have looked at Lane Cove listings. Could you give me more info about the best public primary schools? I would like to be able to walk to cafes, etc. and even perhaps school and work in Lane Cove. I am just trying to find a balance of convenience (cafes, grocery) plus schools and reasonable commute time to Lane Cove. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:14 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,503,064 times
If it were me working in Lane Cove, I'd choose to live in Lane Cove itself... or at least on the northern side of Gladesville Bridge. Victoria Road (which leads from Drummoyne, across the Gladesville Br to Lane Cove) often has nightmarish traffic conditions.

Also, assuming your child/ren go to school in Lane Cove, you'll find the vast majority of their classmates will live very locally, so living there yourself will make it easier for your kid/s to make friends, have playdates etc.

Lane Cove is more of a family area than Drummoyne, which I think might be top heavy with singles and DINKS. As far as shops, restaurants etc. are concerned, Lane Cove should easily meet your needs.

I used to live in Rozelle (right next door to Drummoyne), but once my child reached 5 years of age, we moved to Greenwich (which is right next door to Lane Cove) because it is more family friendly. You might look at Greenwich - great area (maybe slightly more expensive than Lane Cove) and has a good public school.

All the public primary schools in that general area of Sydney are pretty good as far as I know. There's a website - bettereducation dot com dot au - which should be able to provide plenty of info.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:45 PM

991 posts, read 1,777,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawilms View Post
Nugget, thanks so much. I have looked at Lane Cove listings. Could you give me more info about the best public primary schools? I would like to be able to walk to cafes, etc. and even perhaps school and work in Lane Cove. I am just trying to find a balance of convenience (cafes, grocery) plus schools and reasonable commute time to Lane Cove. Thanks.
kobber pretty much summed it up. Anything on the north shore will basically fill those needs. As for money the less expensive suburbs that will be able to provide a house and tick those boxes are Lane Cove West, Chatswood West, Roseville Chase (the commute may be a pain as you would have to use Mowbray Road and cross the Pacific Highway). Places that are even cheaper and schools are actually pretty good are Marsfield, North Ryde and Macquarie Park. Your commute is going to be about 30 mins by car as you have to negotiate Epping Road which I understand is a bit of a pain these days.

As for groceries either Coles or Woolies are available in Lane Cove and will pretty much provide all your needs. There is a bigger shopping centre up the road in Chatswood. Think Strip Mall v Major Shopping Mall. If you opt for the Marsfield/North Ryde option you will have less of a cafe society and more dependent on Macquarie Centre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand