Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:35 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,717,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldew View Post
There was a "tourism" ad that co-incided with the launch of the "AUSTRALIA" movie...but many people thought that it was a promotion for the movie and therefore, failed to recognise it was a separate campaign altogether (and they call it "marketing"). We all know what happened to "AUSTRALIA"; it picked up Academy Awards for Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Original Score, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Picture, Best Costume, Best Waste of Funds, Best everything....straight to DVD ...and the people who created that ad are probably now working at the local DVD store (trying to entice you to the buy the movie - be careful!!!)

...they applied alot more wisdom this time and created a very simplistic ad; more holistic and reflective of "Australia"
"Australia" did alright at the box office here in the USA, wasn't a huge hit but wasn't a total bomb either. I saw it at the movie theater. I don't believe it did much for tourism. I think if anything "Crocodile Dundee" did 10 times better. I remember when that came out in 1986 and it put Australia on the map for Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 04:46 PM

344 posts, read 463,711 times
They can make as good of an ad as they want, but until commercial airplanes become (a lot) faster, I am not going to visit either Australia or New Zealand, spending at least 24 hours in a plane just to get there + the 10 or so hours I would have to spend in Frankfurt and Singapore on stop-overs is way too much for me.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:13 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,739,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
They can make as good of an ad as they want, but until commercial airplanes become (a lot) faster, I am not going to visit either Australia or New Zealand, spending at least 24 hours in a plane just to get there + the 10 or so hours I would have to spend in Frankfurt and Singapore on stop-overs is way too much for me.
I know how you feel! That is the biggest setback for many. Unfortunately nothing anybody can do until they come up with those fast planes you mention, if that's even possible. Then there's the large expense of getting and staying here. You have to be really motivated to come to Australia. But I think most people would find it's worth it.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:20 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,739,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
"Australia" did alright at the box office here in the USA, wasn't a huge hit but wasn't a total bomb either. I saw it at the movie theater. I don't believe it did much for tourism. I think if anything "Crocodile Dundee" did 10 times better. I remember when that came out in 1986 and it put Australia on the map for Americans.
I agree. Canadians loved it too. I don't know how many times I heard "That's not a knife! ..." after that movie. It was a cute movie and I think cute gets through to people versus too arty-farty. This new ad is cute and not overly serious, just like Crocodile Dundee.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,717,451 times
Quote:
The way to take the edge off is to sign up for business or first class seats. Or break the flights up with a day lay over.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:06 PM

279 posts, read 675,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Unfortunately nothing anybody can do until they come up with those fast planes you mention, if that's even possible.
Australia really is isolated from the rest of the world due to its geographical location. 3 years ago I was traveling between Australia and the USA every 6 weeks and it became a real pain in a**.
I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't develope a replacement Concord. If there were enough of them out there I'm sure the seating capacity would have increased and the price of travel on those planes would have dropped considerably. I flew from New York to London on Concord and it took 3 hours 15 minutes (actual travel time). Arrived totally refreshed and able to continue with my day's activities. I remember hearing a conversation between 2 friends who bumped into each other in the Concord lounge, one said to the other "didn't know you were going over today?". The other replied, "just taking the kids to see a soccer game tonight". Obviously they were very wealthy to fly over for a game, but I'm sure part of their decision had to do with the travel time.
If travel time (and cost) over such large distances was reduced I'm sure a lot more tourists would visit Australia.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:05 AM

121 posts, read 244,710 times
Quote:
Thankfully, Australians don't share the same attitude.

By the time we turn 25 years old many of us would have seen half the world.

"24 hours in a plane" is really NOT that long for a life-time of education and adventure..."world-views" are shaped by experiences.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:24 AM

22 posts, read 86,291 times
I have seen the new tourism ad once and I thought the imagery was beautiful and really showcased Australia's diversity and natural beauty, but I didn't like that everyone sang just one short sentence or in some cases just half a sentence and it wasn't edited together very well. It could have been made a lot smoother. Also, some people had an awful pitch, which made me want to turn the sound down, but then I couldn't hear what they said (which was difficult at times anyway, and I suppose can be even more so for non-Australians and non-native English speakers in particular, but then again maybe they get subtitles.)

If people overseas get to see the whole commercial, I think a good number of people who were already thinking they'd like to visit Australia some day may just get jolted into booking a trip, because it does look beautiful. However, it's likely many people get to see 20 seconds or something and then it's probably down to the SydneyOpera House, the Blue Mountains, Uluru and a nice beach and that's it again.

I think the main message to get across is that there's just so much to do and so many entirely different environments and experiences - and the entire commercial does get that across quite well, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand