Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 PM

71 posts, read 213,794 times

Advertisements

It looks like my family and I will be relocating to the Sydney area (Mosman to be exact) and I've heard things about catholic education being taught in public schools. My question is, is this true? As we are not Catholic (or Christian) and I do have a slight problem if that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
As far as I am aware, no single denomination is taught in public schools. However, there may be some "Christian" classes, which focus more on social science (right vs wrong etc) and Christian events such as Easter/Christmas

Although I went to a Catholic primary ...

Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyorker94 View Post
It looks like my family and I will be relocating to the Sydney area (Mosman to be exact) and I've heard things about catholic education being taught in public schools. My question is, is this true? As we are not Catholic (or Christian) and I do have a slight problem if that's the case.
Each public school has a religious studies class, mainly in high school. Pagans can elect to not attend a scripture class and are then just given a free period to sit and do what they want.

If you have issues with Christianity I would seriously reconsider your relocation to Mosman or even the North Shore which is by and large Judeo Christian.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 PM

148 posts, read 323,344 times
As far as I know, you can always choose to sit out of these things. When I went to primary school, it was the religious parents who kept their kids out of Scripture.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:39 PM

71 posts, read 213,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Each public school has a religious studies class, mainly in high school. Pagans can elect to not attend a scripture class and are then just given a free period to sit and do what they want.

If you have issues with Christianity I would seriously reconsider your relocation to Mosman or even the North Shore which is by and large Judeo Christian.
I have no issues with Christianity, I want to make that clear, I just don't like the idea of it being a 'forced' class so now I feel a little better. I happen to be Jewish and centered my search in the North Shore for access to the North Shore Temple Emanuel.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:36 AM

41 posts, read 115,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Pagans can elect to not attend a scripture class and are then just given a free period to sit and do what they want.
I assume your choice was choice of words was ironic, rather than serious, LOL!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:50 AM

41 posts, read 115,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerOfFate View Post
When I went to primary school, it was the religious parents who kept their kids out of Scripture.
I found this too; I assume that a lot of religious parents worrythat their children will be taught the wrong sort of religious beliefs, whereas non-religious parents for the most part aren't that worried about the small amount of religious education that most schools provide.

Attitudes to the teaching of religion in schools is an area with interesting differences between nations. For instance, it is quite common in the USA for devoutly religious parents to send their children to state schools and to object to any form of religious education whatsoever.

OTOH, here in Australia or The Netherlands, to use another example, a large number of non-religious parents, have no problem sending their children to religion-affiliated schools.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Wow, this is weird. Must be an Eastern Stater thing because I just asked my son if he got taught religioius stuff in high school (public) here in Perth, because I certainly don't remember seeing any homework on that, or hearing about it, and he said nope. Why would you teach religion in public schools????

I remember it in grade school years ago (70's) but I thought that was long gone.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:20 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
I used to live in Sydney... my daughter went to a private non-denominational school which didn't teach scripture in any organised fashion. My two step-sons went to public schools and, like Vichel, I don't recall them ever mentioning scripture classes or having scripture homework... and we certainly didn't sign any forms opting them in or out.

OP - did you consider St. Ives when researching areas to live? Sizable Jewish community (relative to other areas in Sydney) and also, I think, a Jewish school. It's not far from Mosman - similar socio-economics - not quite so close to beaches, slightly further away from the city centre (but often easier traffic-wise ... the main road to Mosman from the city can be a nightmare), and good public elementary and high school.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I used to live in Sydney... my daughter went to a private non-denominational school which didn't teach scripture in any organised fashion. My two step-sons went to public schools and, like Vichel, I don't recall them ever mentioning scripture classes or having scripture homework... and we certainly didn't sign any forms opting them in or out.

OP - did you consider St. Ives when researching areas to live? Sizable Jewish community (relative to other areas in Sydney) and also, I think, a Jewish school. It's not far from Mosman - similar socio-economics - not quite so close to beaches, slightly further away from the city centre (but often easier traffic-wise ... the main road to Mosman from the city can be a nightmare), and good public elementary and high school.
Pagans being an historical context.

There is not usually any homework for the scripture class and some high schools now have the scripture class as an optional period on Friday where persons not wishing to attend just get to school later. More likely kids who don't go were ones who attended scripture classes outside of school and used the time as a study period. And most scripture classes include most Judeo-Christian denominations.

Time wise to the city St-Ives will take longer than Mosman as St-Ives does not have a direct route either. The two main roads usually being chocker in the mornings. Mosman has the option of the ferry which is a leisurely and comfortable way to get into the city when it isn't raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand