Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM

9,413 posts, read 9,695,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Originally Posted by Stripes17
I still think one of the main reasons is because Nascar alienated many of its core fans from over the years to go after the glitzier crowds. Many of those turned out to be fair weather fans, with the economy and unemployment being aggravating factors.

Nascar is trying and I can't fault them for that. Some things work and some don't.

Now where did you come up with that brilliant observation?

It has nothing to do with southerners. Stop trying to stir-up regional discontent! Stripes did not call southerners the only "core" fans.

The core fans have been there for years from all over the country. Core fans have gone to races in Michigan, Pocono, New Hampshire, just to name a few.

Stripes17 was right. Nascar has been chasing the Hollywood and music industry crowd................. short attention span fans. It worked for awhile but these folks are moving on. Nascar has thrown tradition under the bus for the sake of more money. It has expanded at such a fast rate but with no thought to the long term future. Thus you have places like Fontana where tickets were given away in the final hours before the race just to try to fill the stands and fool the TV audience.

Yes, the economy has something to do with it. But Nascar was already declining in popularity since about 2006. The handwriting was on the wall but they failed to see it. So they went for even more glitz, glamour and change while the long term fans FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY have lost interest because their concerns have been ignored.

There was nothing bad about bringing the sport to new areas of the country. In many cases, it has brought some success. But Nascar has also destroyed some of the tradition along the way and that is just one reason for fans losing interest.

If you don't work in the industry, then you really might not see it as I have from a first hand basis. I work at many of the races during the year and I have had many hours where I get to listen to the concerns of fans.

Again, it has nothing to do with southerners so please stop generating hatred against southerners or any other region in the country.
Well said, excellent post RT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:09 AM

468 posts, read 822,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Nascar is trying and I can't fault them for that. Some things work and some don't.

Well said, excellent post RT.
Thank you, USNRET!

And I agree............ they have tried but it seems to be getting worse.

Maybe they should revisit the past and go back to doing some things the way they used to be.

For example: Many can't identify with the new cars. You can have a safe chassis but why does all the cars have to look the same other than decals.
Surely they can have some differences but Nascar is scared to death to go back to hearing owners and crew chiefs complain about aero advantages amongst the brands. They have taken the easy way out and made them all look like shoeboxes. This one item alone has turned off many long time fans.

The Nationwide series has been ruined by a flood of Cup drivers. It was my favorite series before that happened. Sure, bringing some Cup drivers helps attendance for the whole weekend. But why not limit the number of full time Cup drivers in the NW series to a max of 7 of the fastest that qualify for that day. Give the other teams a better chance of winning some of the larger purses instead of driving them to being start-and-park or out of business altogether.

Sorry for the rant. But it is true............Nascar still doesn't get it!

I hope that changes will be made to the schedule as well as the chase format. I feel as if the future of the sport depends on it as well as the employment future of many of those that work in the sport.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:20 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,517,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Originally Posted by Stripes17
I still think one of the main reasons is because Nascar alienated many of its core fans from over the years to go after the glitzier crowds. Many of those turned out to be fair weather fans, with the economy and unemployment being aggravating factors.

Now where did you come up with that brilliant observation?

It has nothing to do with southerners. Stop trying to stir-up regional discontent! Stripes did not call southerners the only "core" fans.

The core fans have been there for years from all over the country. Core fans have gone to races in Michigan, Pocono, New Hampshire, just to name a few.

Stripes17 was right. Nascar has been chasing the Hollywood and music industry crowd................. short attention span fans. It worked for awhile but these folks are moving on. Nascar has thrown tradition under the bus for the sake of more money. It has expanded at such a fast rate but with no thought to the long term future. Thus you have places like Fontana where tickets were given away in the final hours before the race just to try to fill the stands and fool the TV audience.

Yes, the economy has something to do with it. But Nascar was already declining in popularity since about 2006. The handwriting was on the wall but they failed to see it. So they went for even more glitz, glamour and change while the long term fans FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY have lost interest because their concerns have been ignored.

There was nothing bad about bringing the sport to new areas of the country. In many cases, it has brought some success. But Nascar has also destroyed some of the tradition along the way and that is just one reason for fans losing interest.

If you don't work in the industry, then you really might not see it as I have from a first hand basis. I work at many of the races during the year and I have had many hours where I get to listen to the concerns of fans.

Again, it has nothing to do with southerners so please stop generating hatred against southerners or any other region in the country.
Funny how you attempt to contradict what I say and yet just repeated a portion of it.
Are you trying to say these areas didn't have the market & don't have core fans? Because you admitted NASCAR does and from all over the country.

What are you defining as glitzy & glamorous; is it the demographic where NASCAR chose to locate new tracks?

If so where do you propose the expansions should have taken place? Utah? Dakotas? Montana? Stayed in the SE? Not expand at all?

I don't work in the industry but have been a fan for over 20yrs. I attend races, talk to people/friends who have/use to follow the sport and I pretty much here the same rhetoric from the nay-sayers over & over. It didn't take a marketing degree to see things were going to change. Though I don't have proof I knew the common template/COT was in NASCAR's future before they did; not because I could foresee Earnhardt's death but because of all the whining from fans & teams (mostly teams) about which make had what areodynamic advantage; the parity was inevitable. In my "brilliant observations" I am smart enough to know what goes up, must come down and that NASCAR's popularity wouldn't last forever. Motorsports is a sport in its own; there are no home games, no home field advantages, team owners can't sell off low attendance performing track, & track owners can't sell off under performing teams. From where I stand NASCAR should stabilize into a niche and enjoy it; the biggest mistake they will make is trying to go back.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,220,842 times
Guess NASCAR just got to big for their britches. Now when those tv contracts are up it could be really bad news because they aren't going to want to pay NASCAR the same kind of $$. Might be time to shrink up those purses!

Old 07-27-2010, 12:25 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,873,149 times
God-forbid if a manufacturer doesn't have an aero advantage, that they go back to the drawing-board and work on a car until they get it right.

BTW, Toyota entering NASCAR also turned off a lot of folks.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM

468 posts, read 822,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Funny how you attempt to contradict what I say and yet just repeated a portion of it.
Are you trying to say these areas didn't have the market & don't have core fans? Because you admitted NASCAR does and from all over the country

I thought what I had said was quite understandable.

If you wish to twist the meaning into something else, then so be it.

I just dislike your attempt to characterize one portion of the country as the reason for all the negative comments concerning the sport.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:08 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,488,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

BTW, Toyota entering NASCAR also turned off a lot of folks.
Why?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:18 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,517,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Why?
It's a 'merican sport, with 'merican cars made by 'mericans.
........and they knew Toyota would come into NASCAR and stomp their a***s as they do in sales, hence the reason NASCAR sticks to the antiquated push rod, suck hole fuel bowl technology. IMO.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,488,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It's a 'merican sport, with 'merican cars made by 'mericans.
........and they knew Toyota would come into NASCAR and stomp their a***s as they do in sales, hence the reason NASCAR sticks to the antiquated push rod, suck hole fuel bowl technology. IMO.
I suppose that's why so many boo Juan Pablo Montoya, too? LOL

Last I checked, Toyota employs a lot of folks building cars in NASCAR country.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 AM

749 posts, read 2,429,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Guess NASCAR just got to big for their britches. Now when those tv contracts are up it could be really bad news because they aren't going to want to pay NASCAR the same kind of $$. Might be time to shrink up those purses!
Agreed, and I believe tv was responsible for it's rise and it's also respsonsible for it's demise. In pre-cable television days they didn't show every race, maybe Daytona, Darlington, Talladega, and a couple others. If I can remember correctly back when it was on ABC Wide World of Sports they didn't even broadcast a race in it's entirety.

Now NASCAR has screwed around with the sport to make it not fan friendly, but tv advertiser friendly with the BS competition cautions, debris cautions, green-white-checker, 3 attempts at a g-w-c, it's all just smoke and mirrors to insert more commercials. It's heck to watch it unfold on tv as it is, I couldn't imagine being at the track after 5 hours of sitting in hot sun to see the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing