Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,076,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I know this is heresy but more road races.
Love the road courses! Put one in the chase so the 48 can lose a few points......although he did win one at Sonoma. Use the course in Montreal, that one is pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
So I was watching larry the cable guys tv show about running moonshine in the olden days. This may be common knowledge but i had never heard this before.

Anyways the moonshiners use to pimp out their cars to go really fast so they could outrun the cops in the backroads of the woods when they were transporting their goods. This was apparently the birth of stock car racing. Anyways their comment was something to the effect that if you come in 2nd or third place today in nascar you make money, if you came in 2nd or 3rd place moonshining you went to jail.

so larry the cable guy proposed that anyone not in the top 10 of nascar should go to jail. This would make for some great nascar racing

Old 02-09-2011, 08:53 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Love the road courses! Put one in the chase so the 48 can lose a few points......although he did win one at Sonoma. Use the course in Montreal, that one is pretty cool.
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is nice but I like Portland Int'l more. It's close enough to Seattle that it'll give the Pacific NW a race without having to build a new track.

I've heard people talk about Laguna Seca, and for whatever reason I just can't picture it. The terrain change is too large and some of the corners are so tight. The track is made for open-wheel and sports cars. Sprint Cup cars would plod along and I don't think it would be as good as people imagine.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Yes eliminate restrictor plates, they were only put in place because the In line valve SB Chevy's were down on HP compared with the angle valve Cleveland heads the Ford were running at the time.
Bill and Ernie Elliot made the General look silly at the time. Now that the General and Toyota and Dodge have Cleveland style heads they have the HP advantage.

Anybody remember when the Fords were all punished because Elliot was running too fast? NASCAR made them make some body changes to all the Fords and they still went faster.

A simple gear rule would slow down the cars and still allow passing without help.( limit top speed to 190 MPH @ 9,000 RPM)

No rev limiters if they think they can run 500 miles at 10,000 RPM go for it.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Yes eliminate restrictor plates, they were only put in place because the In line valve SB Chevy's were down on HP compared with the angle valve Cleveland heads the Ford were running at the time.
Bill and Ernie Elliot made the General look silly at the time. Now that the General and Toyota and Dodge have Cleveland style heads they have the HP advantage.

Anybody remember when the Fords were all punished because Elliot was running too fast? NASCAR made them make some body changes to all the Fords and they still went faster.

A simple gear rule would slow down the cars and still allow passing without help.( limit top speed to 190 MPH @ 9,000 RPM)

As long as the cars fly at 200+ mph the plates will never go away. Too much liability involved. Drivers getting killed in wrecks is one thing, a car flying into the stands and taking out a few dozen spectators is a completely different story.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:25 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Here's the real reason for restrictor plates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wySxP-tWZQU

Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Here's the real reason for restrictor plates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wySxP-tWZQU
That was not the reason, that was the excuse. Made for great PR though.

The restrictor plates killed the Fords more than the Chevys.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:04 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
^^How so? Both brands were required to run the same size plate.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

there is no rule that says the engine HAS to be 358" hot, just that's the limit. Build a 1/4" less stroked engine that will run the 500 miles at 11,000 rpm and you would see the rpm limiters in the next race. Talladega would be the ideal track to do it too. HMMMMM.........

Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
^^How so? Both brands were required to run the same size plate.

Port layout was hurt more on the Fords than the gm cars. Remember the restrictor plates are smaller than the carb bores, but more than that is the special $10k+ intake manifolds that are also run with restrictor plates. You won't hear this by the commentaters, or the engine shops for the teams, but the restrictor plate manifolds only have 4 openings allowed. With the carb off, the plentum looks like it has 4 cylinders standing upright that dead end and the rest of the intake is sealed off. (BTW, i HAVE SPENT ALOT OF TIME MAKING THESE THINGS WORK-My brief description here is very basic without getting too techinical) What that does is with the intake port layout of the gm engines with the siamiesed ports ( 2/4 run next to each other, 6/8 run next to each other, etc.) the hole at the bottom of the restrictor "cylinders" can be placed pointed to split the 2 ajoining engine's cylinders. On the Ford even spaced intake port arrangement, that hole doesn't point to any intake port in the head. This is a brief explanation of why the restricter plates and matching intake manifolds hurt the Fords the most.
To get around this, Ford even made a head that had the intake pushrods run right thru the middle of the ports much like the Ram Air 5 Pontiac heads with the siamesed intake arangement. Ford ran that engine set up at 4 races before nascar banned it. Why? Because the Ford with siameised restrictor plate heads ports made over 80 more hp than the chevies. Reher-Morrisson built a comp eliminator drag engine using those heads for a local Ford customer
and stated that was the most powerful 350ish c.i.d. based engine they had ever built. I'll take a picture of one of those heads if I remember to dig one out next time I am at my storage unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing