Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which type of auto racing do you like?
NASCAR 31 32.63%
Indy 9 9.47%
Formula 1 43 45.26%
Drag 3 3.16%
Other, feel free to comment 9 9.47%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times

Advertisements

So after not ever really being a race fan, I kinda always liked Indy car more than Nascar. I am just learning about F1 which to me seems just like the Izod Indy Car Series but the Euro version and with longer stranger looking Indy cars. Nascar seems to move to slow and the passing and lead changes seems to move to slow. Also Indy just based on my rookie watching experience, Indy seems like it take more skill to drive than say Nascar. F1 again to me seems the same as Indy just the euro version but I don't understand why don't they race over here or merge the two to make one? Nascar just seems way to regulated with late penalties coming and the mysterious debris on the track which leads to a suspicious yellow flag. Almost wrestling like, Nascars rule changes and inspections and regulations. I have a new found love for Indy and F1 since I went to my first Indy race at The Milwaukee Mile, shame on my fellow Milwaukeeans for not showing up and now it looks like my first Indy race might be my last!

Can someone explain to me the differences between the 3 race types? I am new to racing so I don't know a lot of the inside baseball of racing. Like for instance Indy makes you move over and let someone pass you? what a bunch of crap I say. Does Nascar have a similar rule? Blocking in the pits? Dario was getting on Helio at the Mile for blocking coming out of the pits by saying "well what do you expect from Helio, that's helio for you" Other people tell me Dario is a cry baby and whines even when he wins.

Any other info on racing on all types much appreciated, such as tips for going to a race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 PM

YouTube - ‪Dario wins at Milwaukee‬‏

Helio's response to Dario:

CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - Motorsports - Dario gets under Castroneves' skin

Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
So after not ever really being a race fan, I kinda always liked Indy car more than Nascar. I am just learning about F1 which to me seems just like the Izod Indy Car Series but the Euro version and with longer stranger looking Indy cars. Nascar seems to move to slow and the passing and lead changes seems to move to slow. Also Indy just based on my rookie watching experience, Indy seems like it take more skill to drive than say Nascar. F1 again to me seems the same as Indy just the euro version but I don't understand why don't they race over here or merge the two to make one? Nascar just seems way to regulated with late penalties coming and the mysterious debris on the track which leads to a suspicious yellow flag. Almost wrestling like, Nascars rule changes and inspections and regulations. I have a new found love for Indy and F1 since I went to my first Indy race at The Milwaukee Mile, shame on my fellow Milwaukeeans for not showing up and now it looks like my first Indy race might be my last!

Can someone explain to me the differences between the 3 race types? I am new to racing so I don't know a lot of the inside baseball of racing. Like for instance Indy makes you move over and let someone pass you? what a bunch of crap I say. Does Nascar have a similar rule? Blocking in the pits? Dario was getting on Helio at the Mile for blocking coming out of the pits by saying "well what do you expect from Helio, that's helio for you" Other people tell me Dario is a cry baby and whines even when he wins.

Any other info on racing on all types much appreciated, such as tips for going to a race.
In order to make an informed decision over which type of racing you prefer you have to actually attend a few of each type of racing. Watching on TV does not give the real experience that only watching in person can give.

I have been to all types of racing from NASCAR, Indy car, Grand AM, dirt modifieds, NHRA drag racing National events and I like them all but I prefer NASCAR not because I think it's better but becauseI like it better.
I don't dislike any event that I have never attended, how can you dislike something you have never seen?
Go to some races and make the decision for yourself.

Here is one tip go to a drag race where top fuel or funny car are racing and watch from the starting line. It will be the loudest sound you will ever hear and actually shakes the ground where you are standing.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:19 PM

Well I went to a nationwide race before but that's not real NASCAR is it? it's like going to a AAA baseball game and saying you went to a MLB game right? So the only two races I have seen are Indy, Nationwide both at the Milwaukee mile.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Well I went to a nationwide race before but that's not real NASCAR is it? it's like going to a AAA baseball game and saying you went to a MLB game right? So the only two races I have seen are Indy, Nationwide both at the Milwaukee mile.
Milwaukee is one of the best oval venues for IndyCar and one of the worst for NASCAR. Watching a stock car race on a flat oval a mile or longer is claw-your-eyeballs out boring. The cars look like they're plodding along, they wash out in the corners, and the races aren't very exciting. Milwaukee, Phoenix, Indy, Loudon, and Fontana are tracks that I just don't watch because it's a waste of 3-4 hours of my time.

If you want a true appreciation for stock cars, try watching a race at Bristol, Darlington, or Texas.

Also I'm not a diehard F-1 guy but the differences between F-1 and IndyCar are pretty drastic. F-1 cars are technologically superior to IndyCars. They accelerate faster, generate more downforce, and are lighter than an IndyCar chassis.

It's an oversimplification but IndyCar is really a subset of F-1. If you were to race an IndyCar and an F-1 car on a road course, the F-1 car would outperform the IndyCar by several seconds per lap.

Why doesn't F-1 get much play in the US? Simple. No reason for the average American to buy into the series. A natural-born American hasn't won a Formula 1 race in almost 40 years and the last natural-born American to win the World Driving Championship was Phil Hill in 1961. If there were an American driver tearing up the series, F-1's ratings in the US might be noteworthy, but as of right now they're abysmal. Some in the open-wheel circles hope Marco Andretti is America's F-1 savior, but the kid's barely competitive in the IRL. Like his old man, he'd get his ass handed to him pretty quickly in Formula 1.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,785 times
There's also the major difference in that IndyCars and NASCAR are spec racers and F1 has much more liberty to alter the cars.

I think skillwise IndyCar has to be pretty high up there as you are doing road, street and ovals which all require a very different setup for the cars.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Milwaukee is one of the best oval venues for IndyCar and one of the worst for NASCAR. Watching a stock car race on a flat oval a mile or longer is claw-your-eyeballs out boring. The cars look like they're plodding along, they wash out in the corners, and the races aren't very exciting. Milwaukee, Phoenix, Indy, Loudon, and Fontana are tracks that I just don't watch because it's a waste of 3-4 hours of my time.

If you want a true appreciation for stock cars, try watching a race at Bristol, Darlington, or Texas.

Also I'm not a diehard F-1 guy but the differences between F-1 and IndyCar are pretty drastic. F-1 cars are technologically superior to IndyCars. They accelerate faster, generate more downforce, and are lighter than an IndyCar chassis.

It's an oversimplification but IndyCar is really a subset of F-1. If you were to race an IndyCar and an F-1 car on a road course, the F-1 car would outperform the IndyCar by several seconds per lap.

Why doesn't F-1 get much play in the US? Simple. No reason for the average American to buy into the series. A natural-born American hasn't won a Formula 1 race in almost 40 years and the last natural-born American to win the World Driving Championship was Phil Hill in 1961. If there were an American driver tearing up the series, F-1's ratings in the US might be noteworthy, but as of right now they're abysmal. Some in the open-wheel circles hope Marco Andretti is America's F-1 savior, but the kid's barely competitive in the IRL. Like his old man, he'd get his ass handed to him pretty quickly in Formula 1.
Good Stuff! So do people who can't make it at F1 come over to the US for Indy then hope to jump up to Nascar. I think if Danica leaves Indy which I think she will for sure, Indy will fall farther in the basement. I hope not but thats what I think.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
F1=Most technologically interesting....NASCAR=most competitive....IndyCars=lost its fan base/TV thanks to Tony George.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I use to watch F1 and Indy car alot. But now days I watch more NASCAR for the racing and MotoGP.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 PM

Great article but long read

AUTO RACING - INDYCAR: Miller's Mailbag, 6.22

Excerpt:

RM: Milwaukee was a good show and Iowa and Loudon will be more of the same. Indy was damn entertaining as well. I agree we don't need 9-10 ovals (or any ISC tracks except Phoenix) but INDYCAR does need a 5-6 good ones to maintain its diversity and heritage. Indy cars were built on ovals and it's still the best racing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing