Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
So NASCAR should ban the reporters because 1 out of 43 drivers is a hothead with a bad attitude and a penchant for saying idiotic things? It's not Bob Pockrass's fault that Kurt's a nimrod.

Kurt is 100% responsible for being in the position he's in. This isn't his first, second, or even third go-round. He's been a known troublemaker for the better part of 6 years now. It sucks because he's got mounds of talent but eventually you've got to realize he's reaping what he's sewn.
You damn right they should ban the reporters. Especially Pockrass. I've seen him in action and if anyone deserves the title of nimrod, it's him. I'd like to see him run a hard 200 laps at Dover then get out and have to answer a bunch of questions from reporters who just came out of the air conditioning. I know, it's the reporters job to ask questions. It ain't their job to bait those questions like Pockrass did.

1 in 43 drivers is a hothead? I'd say all Cup drivers have a temper and an attitude to a degree. They wouldn't be where they are if they didn't. They just don't show it because of sponsor obligations. Even Vanilla Gordon went after Jeff Burton, of all people.

I'm not a big KB fan but I'm starting to like him more all the time. It's just too bad that NASCAR boxes in the drivers to where they can't say how they really feel. Sure glad my world ain't like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:55 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,079,742 times
Always liked Kurt......liking him more and more every week. NASCAR needs to worry more about how to put more butts in the stands, and less about infringing on their drivers' 1st Amendment rights.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Whether or not Kurt was baited by Pockrass is irrelevant to Kurt's suspension IMO.

Kurt is under the microscope and he KNOWS it. Yet, he still cannot put his tempter in check long enough to avoid running his mouth. He could say "no comment", walk into the hauler, and yell and scream all he wants. When driving, he could mute the mike and scream all he wants. Yet, he doesn't.

He had it coming, and he is destroying his own career. When your a past series champion with over 20 Cup wins, riding around Talledegha and Dover without a sponsor on your car, you have to know your career is already in jeopardy.

Maybe he needs to lose his ride, and take the rest of the year off. Search out some anger management counseling, and try to get his head in shape. They start looking for a ride and sponsor again.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
So NASCAR should ban the reporters because 1 out of 43 drivers is a hothead with a bad attitude and a penchant for saying idiotic things? It's not Bob Pockrass's fault that Kurt's a nimrod.

Kurt is 100% responsible for being in the position he's in. This isn't his first, second, or even third go-round. He's been a known troublemaker for the better part of 6 years now. It sucks because he's got mounds of talent but eventually you've got to realize he's reaping what he's sewn.
Well, since you chose to mis-interpret my comments and make it sound like I said ban "all" reporters, that would elicit a different reply.

But should they take away the credentials of the troublemakers that are they for sensationalism or because then want to "become' the story? Heck yeah!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:30 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
When driving, he could mute the mike and scream all he wants. Yet, he doesn't.
Sorry, but what happens on a team radio is none of yours and my business. To me it's a privilege to be able to listen in. But, if fans want to "hear" the communications, then they need deal with what they hear.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Always liked Kurt......liking him more and more every week. NASCAR needs to worry more about how to put more butts in the stands, and less about infringing on their drivers' 1st Amendment rights.
Agree, most races have had thousands of empty seats.

Also the most commented articles on NASCAR.com have been articles about the Busch brothers.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Sorry, but what happens on a team radio is none of yours and my business. To me it's a privilege to be able to listen in. But, if fans want to "hear" the communications, then they need deal with what they hear.
I know what your saying, but Nascar has made it the fans business by allowing it to be broadcast. At that point, what he says will reflect back on Nascar, back on his sponsors, his owner, etc.

Maybe in an ideal world, the fans would have to deal with what gets said. However, in the reality of where the sport and sponsors are, it is Kurt who needs to deal with the fact that his communications are being heard and scrutinized.

Whether right or wrong, it just is how it is.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:04 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Misapplication of the 1st Amendment. 1st Amendment allows you to say whatever you want, it doesn't protect you from repercussions. Along that same vein you and I are free to call our bosses anything but nice, but we'll most likely get fired for it.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:09 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
I really can't understand why people are shocked when a reporter gets an inappropiate comment after shoving the mic in a driver's face who has been taken out of the race.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 AM

The 1st amendment is far more complicated than just allowing people to "say whatever they want." It is not a complete blank check.

The Supreme Court has ruled in favor of not protecting rights to be obscene for instance. (In other words, they have determined that 1st amendment does not protect a person's rights to say obscene things).

There is also plenty of precedence that threats are not an acceptable freedom of speech either.

There are other implications too. Things said in conjunction with a commercial enterprise are not automatically, universally protected under the 1st amendment.

Point is, Kurt does not hold a 1st amendment right to be publically obscene, to threaten people, etc. (At least according to Supreme Court precedence).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing