Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,588,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I was watching track Day and they were saying that a housing track has been built close to the track and now the people who live there are complaining about the track, why would you build houses close to a track and then complain?
I take it you are referring to the original Mesa Marin? If so, I believe there is some truth to that. The track was sold to make way for additional housing unit development. That area of Bakersfield where the old track was has grown significantly over the last few years. I remember when I used to go out there in the 80s and there wasn't much of anything near there. I miss those days and that old track!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I also like Kevin Harvick, but mostly because of his earlier years at Mesa Marin Raceway in Bakersfield, and his time spent on the Southwest Tour. Mesa Marin was my local track until it closed two years ago. I have a close friend that ran the Southwest Tour series for many years, until its demise at the end of last year's season. He now runs the SRL series, mostly in central California, though it expanded this year to include one race in Colorado and a couple in northern California.
My friend is racing in the SRL as I write this tonight. They are racing at Altamont Motorsports Park near Tracy, CA. I wish I were there with them tonight, but I had to work today, and have to work tomorrow, too. I am with them in my thoughts and prayers, but can't be there in person due to my schedule. I hope he is doing well tonight.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:11 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,297,179 times
Maybe Roaddog is talking about Lowes Motor Speedway. There is another thread under the NC, Charlotte area on this forum about that subject. There has been a bit less going on the last couple of days, the week-end, but there was much talk going on this last week. Pretty interesting too.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I take it you are referring to the original Mesa Marin? If so, I believe there is some truth to that. The track was sold to make way for additional housing unit development. That area of Bakersfield where the old track was has grown significantly over the last few years. I remember when I used to go out there in the 80s and there wasn't much of anything near there. I miss those days and that old track!
Mesa and Lowes, mesa had to deal with the housing by getting thing done early, that always the beginning of the end for a track, when i went there the races wouldn't get over until after midnight, I like that, then housing projects come in and it 10 PM, it's to bad.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Mesa and Lowes, mesa had to deal with the housing by getting thing done early, that always the beginning of the end for a track, when i went there the races wouldn't get over until after midnight, I like that, then housing projects come in and it 10 PM, it's to bad.
The same thing is happening at Madera Raceway, but I can understand that one, since that track is on the fairgrounds in the middle of town. They have to end the races at (I believe) 10:30 P. M. or else they have to pay a fine. If they pay the fine and run late, they still have to end before 11 P.M. This is a regular occurrence there from what I understand.

The good news about the new Kern County Raceway is that there aren't many (if any) homes in the surrounding area. There probably won't be for many years to come, either.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 6,784 times
Anyone else out there not thrilled about seeing Tony Stewart in a Toyota? Don't know whether to kill myself, or root for Jimmie Johnson now... meh, who am I kidding? I got a gun back at the house somewhere.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:42 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
Default Pouting over Hamlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombrehokey View Post
Anyone else out there not thrilled about seeing Tony Stewart in a Toyota? Don't know whether to kill myself, or root for Jimmie Johnson now... meh, who am I kidding? I got a gun back at the house somewhere.
I've been a Rudd fan forever...go ahead get the geritol jokes out of the way lol and have been shopping for a new driver...a real young one that I could follow for years like Ricky

Tony
Jimmie
Jeffie
Jr

Are way too easy choices.

I was following Hamlin and had ALMOST settled on him...then the news came
No Hamlin for me now.

Maybe Bowyer....

Old 10-19-2007, 04:37 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,595,928 times
How about Harvick?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombrehokey View Post
I bet Tony's not to happy about it either, he wants to win.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
How about Harvick?
Being he's a good ole boy from Bakersfield I gotta say Go Harvick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing