Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,864,028 times

Advertisements

The former champ tells the media that Brad Keselowski needs to grow up:

Jimmie Johnson: Sprint Cup champ Brad Keselowski must grow up, mature as spokesman - NASCAR - Sporting News

Hey JJ, do you think maybe a whole bunch of people don't like you because you are too homogenized and afraid to show any style or character?

Kudo's to the last two champions in this sport for bringing some personality, reality, and fun back to the sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,526,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

Jimmie Johnson: Sprint Cup champ Brad Keselowski must grow up, mature as spokesman - NASCAR - Sporting News

Hey JJ, do you think maybe a whole bunch of people don't like you because you are too homogenized and afraid to show any style or character?

Kudo's to the last two champions in this sport for bringing some personality, reality, and fun back to the sport.
I thought Kennseth was vanilla until Johnson came along, 5 championships later he's still vanilla.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,639,997 times
After reading the article.. nothing Johnson said was off base. It was dead on.. NASCAR knows it, Brad knows it, Penske knows it and Miller Lite knows it. Do you think Miller Lite, Nascar or Penske was thrilled about Brad's appearance last year on Sportscenter??? HELL NO! Miller Lite was no doubt thrilled to see him drinking a Beer (Miller Lite) on TV but less than thrilled to see him intoxicated. That's just dumb to get on TV like that and someone should have stopped him...

I like BRAD tremendously. He was my favorite in Nationwide and remains one of my favorites now. NO one was happier to see him win the title last year over Jimmy than I was... but don't blame Jimmy for Brad's immaturity or claim that we need more immature drivers in CUp.. that's just not true...

I think a nice mixture of personalities is what makes the sport great. not just one flavor.. vanilla is a flavor last I checked. I think there are FAR more fans who dislike Jimmy because of his Championships than because of his vanilla personality. I get not liking him because he won 5 in a row and it got OLD but I certainly do NOT get not liking him because he is laid back, withdrawn or vanilla.

I care less about what my favorite drivers says or does out of the car than I do what he does inside the car and there are few better inside the car than Johnson.. albeit, he is not my favorite driver I certainly do NOT dislike him because he is not throwing his helmet at competitors or turning back-flips off the side of his car after a win... What I dislike about Jimmy, is his ability to run in the back for 3/4s of the race and then suddenly come out of no where to win... argh, that used to aggravate me to no end..

Last edited by mco65; 02-19-2013 at 06:02 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,329,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
What I dislike about Jimmy, is his ability to run in the back for 3/4s of the race and then suddenly come out of no where to win... argh, that used to aggravate me to no end..
I think most NASCAR fans will agree that most NASCAR races are endurance races that require the driver to not just be fast but also be fast at the end of the race.
Unless your car is so dominant that you can lead all day long and win the race then you are battling with the rest of the front runners all day just waiting for the laps to unwind. Meanwhile wearing yourself out and possibly abusing your equipment.

How many races do we watch with guys racing hard up front all day and then the last 50-100 laps the rested guy hanging out in the back moves on up and takes the win?

How many races did it take hard charging Dale Earnhardt to win his first Daytona 500? How many more races is it going to take for hard charging, Tony Stuart, Kyle Bush,Greg Biffell to win their first Daytona 500.
Mr Milquetoast Kenseth has 2 wins, Johnson a couple, Dale Jarrett a couple.

I'm certainly not a JJ fan but it has been proven over the long run the guy knows how to win.

Tony Stuart, Kesolosky, Kyle Bush, and many others can learn a lot from observing Johnsons style.

The days of the fastest guys running away and embarrassing the field (Bill Elliot lapping the field twice) are over.
BTW the real reason for restrictor plates.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,623,272 times
Bascially even kaselowski's team has said he needs to growup and from I see otehr than just a incident he has done alot better with better results.You do not win five chapionships by chance. Alos mnay like Kirk Bush don't seem to relise that this isn't their grandfatehrs NASCAR and sponsor want more tha just winig races when you represent them now days.With out mah jor meny sponsors you goignowhere as Rowdy came close to learning.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM

9,447 posts, read 9,723,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascially even kaselowski's team has said he needs to growup and from I see otehr than just a incident he has done alot better with better results.You do not win five chapionships by chance. Alos mnay like Kirk Bush don't seem to relise that this isn't their grandfatehrs NASCAR and sponsor want more tha just winig races when you represent them now days.With out mah jor meny sponsors you goignowhere as Rowdy came close to learning.
Had Nascar still been on the old points system, JJ would only have two championships. As for JJ holding back his equipment and then racing at the end of the race, Dale Earnhardt use to say "Finishing races is important, but racing is more important".

Old 02-22-2013, 11:14 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,623,272 times
Why would anyone race to not win the chapionship as standrads are. Earnhart if he raced today lie mnay of the ole takem out guys would have been pentalised alot. He would chnage his methods just like everyone lese has.Certainly he would alos have mnay mre that have wining capable cars.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM

26,689 posts, read 41,601,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

Quote:
In particular, Johnson was referring to the SportsCenter interview Keselowski did right after he won the championship where he was swigging beer from a large glass.

"As mature as he wants to portray himself as, he had some growing to do," Johnson said. "Now he is in the spotlight as the champion, and I think we all sit back and chuckle at times at some of the things he says and does."
Alright so one dumb incident (which I think could happen to anyone, JJ included) and "he needs to mature"? I like Keselowski as a driver and as a wild personality. JJ may know how to win a NASCAR Cup in the 21st century but talk zero spice whatsoever. The different personalities can only help NASCAR.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:10 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,935,695 times
Johnson winning Daytona - boring.

Danica winning Daytona - that would have been better but irritating.

Mark Martin winning Daytona - that would have been awesome - and 3rd is very respectable.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,716,058 times
I agree. Would have liked to see Jr make a better attempt at getting past Johnson at the end. To bad him and Mark couldn't have blown past him that last 1/2 lap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing